Old Pictures

Eric

1944, My mother-in-law's ID picture from the Erfurt labor camp, WW2.  She was 14 year old farm girl walking home from school when she was taken.  When she didn't come home that night, her family presumed she was dead.  A year later, Patton's 3rd Army liberated the camp and put her on a train south, back to Greece.  She was so skinny when she got home no one believed it was really her.  She spoke freely about this time with me and Anna (her daughter, my wife) and said the hardest part was destroying her grave site, the Greeks are very superstitious.  She loved Americans and always appreciated them for saving her.

Maria at Erfurt 4x6 bw.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

42 minutes ago, Eric said:

At least the top two look like regimental crests or something. 

In 1930, MacArthur was a Major General (two stars), and was a major general during his time as Chief of Staff of the Army.  Remained and retired as a Major General.  Field Marshal of the Phillipine Army, recalled to command in July 1941 as a major General, promoted to Lieutenant General the next day, (three stars) he was only promoted to General (four stars) on Dec. 20, 1941.  He was appointed five stars on 18 December 1944, two days after George Marshall, and four days after the fifth star was authorized by Congress.  Ike was given his on 20 Dec, Hap Arnold 21 Dec, and Bradley not until 1950.

So the Big Giant Head again is correct, and makes us know why he is The Big Giant Head, and we are not?

Hawk. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Brown Hawk said:

In 1930, MacArthur was a Major General (two stars), and was a major general during his time as Chief of Staff of the Army.  Remained and retired as a Major General.  Field Marshal of the Phillipine Army, recalled to command in July 1941 as a major General, promoted to Lieutenant General the next day, (three stars) he was only promoted to General (four stars) on Dec. 20, 1941.  He was appointed five stars on 18 December 1944, two days after George Marshall, and four days after the fifth star was authorized by Congress.  Ike was given his on 20 Dec, Hap Arnold 21 Dec, and Bradley not until 1950.

So the Big Giant Head again is correct, and makes us know why he is The Big Giant Head, and we are not?

Hawk. 

He was a General (temp) when he was CoS.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_summary_of_Douglas_MacArthur

If  you look closely at that pic, the two stars on the left are easy to make out, but the two on the right are seen "edge-on" making them appear as four dots. But the spaces between the two right groups are the arms of the stars as seen edge-on. I was like Mr. Pitt looking at the hidden picture until it hit me. :)

Edited by gwalchmai