Old Pictures

Eric

Just now, SC Tiger said:

Folks were just smaller.  Look at an Army uniform from WWI or earlier.  Those things are tiny.

Small people generallyhave small feet. ?

My buddy, however, who is normal sized, has size 15 feet.  People notice.  When they comment, he always says, "well, you know what they say about guys with big feet don't you?"  Then, there is a slightly uncomfortable pause, as parents rush to cover their kids' ears, followed by, "big shoes!"

42 minutes ago, Lazy R said:

Wild Goose Bill, whom the town of Wilbur, WA is named after, died in a shootout with another guy (who also died) over a woman. The gun is at the museum there. My dad got to hold it. Still has the empty cartridges in it.

Wildl%20Bill%27s%20revolver-M.jpg

It looks like it has recessed chambers, too.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:53 AM, SC Tiger said:

Folks were just smaller.  Look at an Army uniform from WWI or earlier.  Those things are tiny.

I visited the USS Constitution while it was in Boston Harbor, and when I went below decks it had so little headroom that I had to walk significantly bent over.  The lack of head room for me 6'2" was striking.  It was pointed out to me that Sailors were shorter back then.

When I walked through Colonial Williamsburg  I was also struck by the very short doorways and very low ceilings in the houses.  It simply confirmed to me how short people were during these times.  We have gained about a foot in height due to our diet here in the USA.

I read that because of the change in diet from the traditional Japanese fare, the Japanese have also gain greatly in height due to the Westernization of their diet.

Big changes in relatively short periods of time due to diet are fascinating.  

• Like 3