Who Remembers?

Eric

1 hour ago, KBKEITH said:

IMG_1347.PNG

dude i had a redline pl20  back in the day and a diamondback turbo .  buddies had greg hill   and hutch  trick star.  that brings memories back . 

i wish i still had mine they go for bout 3,000 bucks now  if you can find them

• Like 1

1956 Chevrolet tail light gas filler [closed and open]

16 hours ago, Eric said:

That was the first TV remote control that my childhood household had growing up, that didn't have two legs and a head of unruly dirty blonde hair. Before that, us kids were the remotes. We changed the channels, we adjusted the rabbit ears. We fixed the vertical hold and on bad reception days, one of us would often end up having to stand there with a hand on the TV antenna. to improve the reception for everyone else.

My father bought a state of the art TV with a solenoid driven tuner, and a cord that went the length of the room.  We were one of the first in town with a "remote control".  I think it was the 10" Sylvania.

We lived 60 miles from the TV stations, but had a 4 story sheet copper roof with a 20' mast and huge Yagi antenna on it, so we could pick up the TV stations damn near "line of sight".  We were one of the first TV's in town.  4 Channels available.  Watched the power changeover of one station a couple of years later, when they went to 100,000 Watts and the snow simply went away.  Fascinating.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

When I was adventurous in my youth, I tapped into the phone line with a Carbon Microphone connected in series with a pair of headphones.  I could (and did) make calls from my "room".  The operator would answer and I would tell her the number I wanted.

8 minutes ago, JJHNSN said:

My kids would not believe me when I told them we had a phone in our house that you had to "dial" and it was physically attached to the kitchen wall in our house.

I remember getting a 20 foot long phone cord, and thought that being able to take the phone into the bathroom with me was so cool.

• Like 2

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Clancy said:

I remember getting a 20 foot long phone cord, and thought that being able to take the phone into the bathroom with me was so cool.

Long cords were great, but the long curly cords could be a huge pain in the ass. They would kink up and get tangled really badly. Remember spinning the phone headset, or spinning around yourself, to take the kinks out of a long phone cord?

I remember my first cordless phone. It was in the late eighties. It was a Cobra wireless phone. It was not cheap. It had that long retractable chrome antenna, that you would pull out when you took a call. It seemed pretty high-tech back then.

d5c937b5c21b731252645f23a8d67acf--cordless-telephone-cobra.thumb.jpg.7768169b98e0fd3dad42b40860a782f1.jpg

• Like 3

Hi-test gasoline.  Leaded gasoline.  Getting your homework done before the Charlie Brown special (for whatever holiday).  Looking forward to Christmas cartoons because there was only one time a year when Mother Nature got to break up the fight between the Heat Miser and Snow Miser.

• Like 3

AFX slotcars, especially the magna traction ones with the orbital positioned pancake armatures that would rotate the car like it was stepping out under power. So cool. They always had the coolest bodies too, like a Baja bug or Datsun 510.

On 9/3/2017 at 11:50 PM, Eric said:

Who remembers when the largest container you could buy soda pop in was a glass 32oz bottle and was intended for a whole family? I think those bottles weighed more than their contents and they had a good deposit value on them? When I was in third grade, my oldest brother (Who was eleven or twelve) went to the store, to buy a 32oz bottle of Dr Pepper for everyone. On the way back home, he dropped the bottle on the concrete. As the bottle broke, the soda foamed up forcefully enough to launch a piece of the glass into the back of his leg, hitting a small vein or something. He was only about half a block from home when it happened, but by the time he got in the house and removed his shoe, there was enough blood accumulated in his shoe to poor out. AND we didn't get any damned soda!:crylikeender:

Who remembers spending summer days on the hunt for soda bottles that paid a deposit, so you could blow the money on more soda and candy? An enterprising kid could keep himself in snack money all summer, if he put some effort into it.

My brother has a scar across his upper lip to this day from one of those 32oz glass bottles.

He was about four. He pulled it out of the fridge at a party we were having and wanted my dad to open it for him. My dad told him to ask mom, on the way he slipped with the bottle in hand and it shattered as he fell on it. His upper lip was cut clear across and hanging where you could see his gums under his lip. It was pretty graphic. Lots of blood and stitches later, he was ok, but the scar is still there. That kid is 43 now.... Damn time flies.