Who Remembers?

Eric

5 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I was very little and the Milkman would leave the Milk on our door step.  In cold weather the Milk might freeze, and the frozen Cream on top would push the paper tab up out of the bottle an inch or two.  We used to fight over who got the frozen Cream.  We thought of it as Ice Cream.

Mom used to invite the milkman in to 'warm up' on those cold days.  And sometimes in the summer, too.  

Nah, just kidding.  But that was always the rumor about milkmen.  hahaha

• Like 2

How about the guy who used to lead a pony through town?  The pony carried a big box camera on a tripod, a child-sized cowboy hat, a bandana and a pair of chaps.  The guy would dress the patron in the cowboy gear, put him/her on the pony, then take a pic.  

We could never afford to be the patron, but we'd follow the pony down the street to watch the rich kids get the full treatment!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rabbi said:

Film strip projectors that had a tape. The tape would beep and you would turn the knob to advance the picture. 

Picture+24.png

One of my better middle school days, I walk into science class and I can tell something is off.  The lights are off and the blinds are shut.  I look at the teacher and she says "Please behave today, I have a headache".  I replied: "A headache like you want me to roam the halls or a headache like you want me to get a film strip projector from the library?"  She told me to roam the halls but not to get in trouble.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, theglock said:

How about the guy who used to lead a pony through town?  The pony carried a big box camera on a tripod, a child-sized cowboy hat, a bandana and a pair of chaps.  The guy would dress the patron in the cowboy gear, put him/her on the pony, then take a pic.  

We could never afford to be the patron, but we'd follow the pony down the street to watch the rich kids get the full treatment!

Have some memory fragments of a guy with a cart pulled by an animal.  He collected rags and "Tin" stuff during the first part of the War (WWII).   

1 minute ago, janice6 said:

Have some memory fragments of a guy with a cart pulled by an animal.  He collected rags and "Tin" stuff during the first part of the War (WWII).   

Yes, we had the rag man come through our town, too (mid-50's).  He'd buy, or sell.  Got a couple of shirts that way.  haha

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lobster Hunter said:

Combat!  I grew up addicted to this great TV series in the early 1960s. Vic Morrow as Sgt. Saunders was the definition of cool. 

IMG_5799.JPG

Odd as it sounds, apparently this show was quite popular in Japan. My father-in-law's a fan.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Rabbi said:

Here is an obscure show.... There really was a trucker obsession in the late 70's early 80's.

My God, did that show suck! My sister had a major crush on that guy.

As bad as BJ and the Bear was, it managed to squeeze out a spin-off series. Sheriff Lobo was a badguy on BJ and the Bear, but by an act of Hollywood magic, he was transformed into a good guy, once offered his own series. It wasn't a bad series. It was better than BJ and the Bear anyway.

• Like 2

When I was a kid - late 50s, early 60s  -- there was an old guy who would go through our neighborhood every couple months and he would sharpen kitchen knives, scissors, etc.

We had the Good Humor ice cream trucks come around - they had a bunch of small bells on the truck cab that they rang - usually attracted most of the neighborhood kids.

• Thanks 1

Rotary phones. Back when Ma-Bell was a thing. I remember when we got our first push button phone, we kept the old rotary phones in the garage and by the swimming pool. I would get a kick out of seeing my little cub scouts and Sunday School kids try and figure it out. We had those phones for years!

• Like 1

Sadly, I'm looking at some of this stuff thinking, "Oh yeah, they don't do it that way anymore."

I still have a 19 inch Mitsubishi t.v. that I attach to Netflix and my DVD player with an RF Modulator.  I always imagine Marvin the Martian saying he is going to destroy me with his RF Modulator. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQBBBWJT2lZM0b-Dp9siqJ

• Like 2

My dad built our first color TV, with lots of tubes.  I remember when he first powered it up.  We were all gathered around it and he had the speaker swiveled outward.  When power was applied, a large capacitor blew.  It was awesome.  I cheered the fireworks.  My dad wanted to kick my ass.  I was genuinely excited by the bang.

I also remember we had 1 telephone in the kitchen.  If you called a friend or potential girlfriend, everyone heard your conversation.  Needless to say, we spent a LOT of time outside.  We rarely did stuff inside.  I grew up S FL.  Playing in storms...didn't matter to us.

• Like 1

My Step dad loved to tinker with TV's back in the early 70's. He made friends with a real TV repairman and the guy gave him all kinds of test equipment including 3 or 4 of the tube tester rigs. He fixed a lot of them and sold them. When I was in the 8th grade in 75' I was the only kid in school with a 27" color console with an lift top record player on one side and a lift top stereo on the other in my bedroom!:D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Grabbrass said:

Odd as it sounds, apparently this show was quite popular in Japan. My father-in-law's a fan.

Not that surprising if you've ever watched Japanese t.v.  I remember watching a chef drive nails through the heads of live squids so he could filet them while they were at maximum freshness (i.e. still alive).  Most of the other shows were worse (which was why my host family was watching an exciting cooking game show).  Besides, they were probably studying how the West defeated the Germans which was probably what they were planning on doing after they exterminated all of us.  

Edited by minervadoe
stray apostrophes
  • Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Eric said:

Who remembers Alice?

They have been showing reruns lately.  I occasionally watch it.  I saw an episode with George Wendt the other night. He would go on to play Norm on Cheers (which was one of my favorite shows)

• Like 1

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

They have been showing reruns lately.  I occasionally watch it.  I saw an episode with George Wendt the other night. He would go on to play Norm on Cheers (which was one of my favorite shows)

What network has it in syndication? I wouldn't mind seeing some old episodes, for old time's sake. I used to really enjoy that show.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Eric said:

What network has it in syndication? I wouldn't mind seeing some old episodes, for old time's sake. I used to really enjoy that show.

They were running blocks of it on LOGO network. (254 on my Dish network)

• Like 2

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, Rabbi said:

Do you remember an '80s movie called The House? It starred William Katt, the actor from the series Greatest American Hero. George Wendt was in it, as the main guy's nrighbor. It was a great movie and Wendt's character in it was funny. Richard Moll, from Night Court, was in it as well.

This is Richard Moll's character(The dead M-60 gunner):

• Like 1