Who Remembers?

Eric

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:21 PM, Eric said:

Long cords were great, but the long curly cords could be a huge pain in the ass. They would kink up and get tangled really badly. Remember spinning the phone headset, or spinning around yourself, to take the kinks out of a long phone cord?

I remember my first cordless phone. It was in the late eighties. It was a Cobra wireless phone. It was not cheap. It had that long retractable chrome antenna, that you would pull out when you took a call. It seemed pretty high-tech back then.

d5c937b5c21b731252645f23a8d67acf--cordless-telephone-cobra.thumb.jpg.7768169b98e0fd3dad42b40860a782f1.jpg

someone was always bending the damn antenna!

• Like 2

• Administrators
Just now, janice6 said:

thos were the days of Radio Shack.

I was thinking about Radio Shack when I posted that. They had generic, screw in telescoping antennas that worked well as replacements, for a lot less that Cobra wanted. Radio Shack used to be the largest corporation in the world. How the mighty have fallen. That is what the mighty do, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We used to be able to buy dynamite, blasting caps, and fuses at the local hardware store, in addition to firearms, and God knows what else.

Lighting the fuse on a two stick charge under a big tree or rock could really get the heart pounding.

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, limeylad said:

I miss them so!

article-0-02914CE4000005DC-373_468x286.jpg

I think that TG&Y was my favorite five & dime store. Woolsworths was great too though. You never knew what TG&Y was going to have from visit to visit though. They brought it a huge variety of stuff. As a kid, I loved their toy section.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2017 at 11:24 PM, SmokeRoss said:

I remember visible gas pumps where you pumped the fuel up into a glass tank on top with markings for gallons, then gravity fed it into your car. Last one I used was in 1973 when I honeymooned at Spirit Lake on Mt St Helens.

There are two pumps like that in service in a  gas station  in a small California town. Unfortunately I forgot the name of the town.

10 hours ago, Eric said:

I think that TG&Y was my favorite five & dime store. Woolsworths was great too though. You never knew what TG&Y was going to have from visit to visit though. They brought it a huge variety of stuff. As a kid, I loved their toy section.

I purchased my first gun from T G & Y.  An H&R model 88 single shot shotgun.  It was $79.  I've shot more game with that gun than all my others combined!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GeorgiaGlocker said:

I remember when doctors made house calls. Also we had a milkman deliver milk, eggs etc  3 times a week.

I was very little and the Milkman would leave the Milk on our door step.  In cold weather the Milk might freeze, and the frozen Cream on top would push the paper tab up out of the bottle an inch or two.  We used to fight over who got the frozen Cream.  We thought of it as Ice Cream.

• Like 2

Just now, janice6 said:

I was very little and the Milkman would leave the Milk on our door step.  In cold weather the Milk might freeze, and the frozen Cream on top would push the paper tab up out of the bottle an inch or two.  We used to fight over who got the frozen Cream.  We thought of it as Ice Cream.

My brother and use to bug mom to order chocolate milk. All of the milk came in glass bottles back then.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, theglock said:

My son was hunkering here from Houston over the weekend.  I mentioned Chet Huntley to him.  First 'celebrity' I'd heard of to buy a ranch in Big Sky country!  Nice seeing him again, GeorgiaGlocker.  ;^>

Dad use to watch Chet Huntley and David Brinkley every night.