Old Service Stations

Eric

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, railfancwb said:

Montgomery Ward - haven’t heard that name in a long time

They used to have a massive distribution and order center in St. Paul.  I was in it one time where they kept records of orders. Looked like Damn near a million Index cards!  Imagine, your business on Index cards!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Eric said:

Weeelll, it's gas and they are pumping it. :whistling: I'm guessing that is 104-octane. I can close my eyes and remember that smell vividly.

It used to be popular for weekend drag racers to go to the airport and fill up on Aviation Gas for the higher octane.  As I'm sure you are well aware of!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/7/2023 at 8:43 PM, Eric said:

I love those old Henry Js.

363782394_605367591724265_5810730009342214830_n.jpg

Sign on the window, two gallons of oil ............

I had an old 46 Chrysler New Yorker long ago.  Every once in a while the breather pipe would plug and it would blow out all the oil.  So I bought cheap "re-refined oil" in two gallon cans and kept one in the trunk for the next time.  Car lasted a long time but threw up the crankcase once in a while..............

• Like 4

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

Sign on the window, two gallons of oil ............

I had an old 46 Chrysler New Yorker long ago.  Every once in a while the breather pipe would plug and it would blow out all the oil.  So I bought cheap "re-refined oil" in two gallon cans and kept one in the trunk for the next time.  Car lasted a long time but threw up the crankcase once in a while..............

Dad used to get Dixie Lube oil to run in our lawn mower (and I think in his Old Ford). It was "made from previously used motor oil", and came in "seepy" cardboard cans. I was surprised by this example which shows it being made after ZIP and bar codes were introduced. 

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-dixie-lube-motor-oil-unopened-1544325456

image.jpeg.35f3585531c11f22ed2266a25b659b98.jpegimage.jpeg.14a3003478e5e95a14e772a770ebe635.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1