Old Service Stations

Eric

• Administrators
1 hour ago, tous said:

It is.

The skinnier tires and wheels seem to match, but the front fenders seem to have a more contour and pronounced lip, no?

Could be a same model year-to-year difference.

The extensions for the bumper mounts and height of the bumper matches pretty well.

Does the shape for the convertible top offer a good clue for automobiles in the 1920s?

The shape and number of rear windows?

This is fun.

And you are right. It is a lot of fun running something like this down. Unless I can’t figure it out. :supergrin: I tend to obsess about things like this, until I figure it out. 

• Like 3

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too.

Just a quick look and there are some very interesting photographs there.

Do you think that those fellers in the photograph ever imagined that we would be discussing them more than 100 years later?

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, tous said:

Me too.

Just a quick look and there are some very interesting photographs there.

Do you think that those fellers in the photograph ever imagined that we would be discussing them more than 100 years later?

I wonder what they would have thought of a Studebaker Avanti? 

Imagine someone reading through sites like this a thousand years from now. If Humanity hasn’t managed to kill itself off by then, they will have a hell of a lot more historic content to explore than we ever did. 

For me growing up, now was in color and history was black-and-white. It was fundamentally different. It was hard for me to look back on WWII pics and realize that actual people actually did all of that. Yet I am now further forward in time from the Vietnam war now than I was from WWII back then.

• Like 2

Until my early teens, media was black-and-white.

Black-and=white TV, black-and-white photographs in newspapers and magazines, black-and-white pictures in history books.

We didn't get a color  television until around 1965 when my father and I build a Heathkit.

If you see old television programs from the Sixties, they all have the IN COLOR! prologue.

NBC had LIVING COLOR and a peacock.

Yes, most films were in color, but the film noir of the Sixties was intentionally black-and-white, especially Hitchcock films.

That photograph of the service station is pretty darned good quality for 1920.

It likely wasn't taken by a tourist with a Brownie.

I wonder who took it, why they took it and what equipment they used.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...