Random Posting

Eric

14 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

One of the most heartbreaking days of my life was when the entire family gathered at my father in law’s cabin for a birthday party. His wonderful cabin has a foundation that goes back to the late 1800s. It is built OVER a stream. That would never be allowed today but it is grandfathered in. This unique building gathers a great array of wildlife. From deer and fox down to many insects seeking water in the desert mountains of Utah.

My daughter was turning rocks over so my niece could see the bugs underneath. My niece was not able to even touch the rocks because her mother didn’t want her to ever get her hands dirty at the cabin. My niece was excited to tell her mom about what she saw only to be chastised for even being in the dirt and getting her shoes dirty and told how icky bugs were and she shouldn’t even look at things like that.

I used to camp by myself 7 miles outside of town during the time I went to grade school.  My mother would help me get my meals packed, took my tent and sleeping bag on my bike and I was off.  I would spend the week end at a camp grounds where I could play in a shallow creek under a highway.  I spent many hours finding fish and critters in the stream and under the rocks.

My meals were simple, except for suppers.  My mother taught me to pack a beef cut with potatoes and  veggies wrapped in Aluminum foil.  Then when I got to the camp grounds I would start a fire in a hole.  around noon I would put the Aluminum foil supper in the coals and cover it with a thin layer of dirt.  I would then come back at supper time and have roast beef with all the trimmings.

My mother was adamant that I learned to be self sufficient, I learned to sew, cook, camp, iron, and the myriad of other things I needed to know to live.  She was the best and supported me in all my endeavors, until I was 12 and things got ugly.  My father was a warrior in that he taught me to survive, anything.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

I used to camp by myself 7 miles outside of town during the time I went to grade school.  My mother would help me get my meals packed, took my tent and sleeping bag on my bike and I was off.  I would spend the week end at a camp grounds where I could play in a shallow creek under a highway.  I spent many hours finding fish and critters in the stream and under the rocks.

My meals were simple, except for suppers.  My mother taught me to pack a beef cut with potatoes and  veggies wrapped in Aluminum foil.  Then when I got to the camp grounds I would start a fire in a hole.  around noon I would put the Aluminum foil supper in the coals and cover it with a thin layer of dirt.  I would then come back at supper time and have roast beef with all the trimmings.

My mother was adamant that I learned to be self sufficient, I learned to sew, cook, camp, iron, and the myriad of other things I needed to know to live.  She was the best and supported me in all my endeavors, until I was 12 and things got ugly.  My father was a warrior in that he taught me to survive, anything.

I grew up in the forest.

When there wasn't school, we'd get up, eat breakfast, take something with us for lunch, and disappear out into the forest for the day.  Eventually we'd either get hungry or it would get dark, and we'd return home.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cougar_ml said:

I grew up in the forest.

When there wasn't school, we'd get up, eat breakfast, take something with us for lunch, and disappear out into the forest for the day.  Eventually we'd either get hungry or it would get dark, and we'd return home.  

Same here.

My mother used to get really mad when she would call me for lunch and I never showed up. So my dad found an old  bell and mounted it on poles in our front yard.

Saturday rolls around and as soon as the sun pops up, off in the woods I go to do some exploring. 12 noon rolls around and I hear the bell ringing to let me know mom has lunch ready, so about face and head home.  When I walk in the door, mom is all in my case for not coming home when the bell rang.  But mom, I came straight home! 

I had left the house at around 7 am the bell rang at noon, so thats 5 hours, and I walked in the door at a little after 5:00. The math doesn’t lie!B|

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

I grew up in the forest.

It was a wonderful time for growing up.

• Like 5

The last time all my kids (and friends) built a corral and put 100 tadpoles in it, they proudly gathered the adults down to see them.

Then they informed me that they were all named "Dad".

I saw a larger one, with little legs.

They said he was named "Dad With Legs".
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

PSA of the day.

If you see a car crash, pass the crash and then stop on the downward side of the flow of traffic. Don’t stop in front of the crash on the upward side of traffic.

Saw a fender bender turn into a 5 car fender bender. Just dinged bumpers but three of the cars got damaged because cars 3 and 4 got hit by car 5 when 3-4 left their cars in traffic to stop and try to help. 

On a related note. The Creamsicle Frosty at Wendy’s is pretty good. I was not in the crash. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1