Random Posting

Eric

6 hours ago, minderasr said:

c4b2fe3f071ceb3df42116c1b57346ff_width-6

I wish my relatives understood that. I’ve been asked a couple of times to teach the kids to shoot. It never goes anywhere. I want to start with some non-shooting classroom stuff. Then air gun in the basement. Then a day at the range with a .22 rifle. Never happens.

They want me to take a 12 year old to the range, hand them a full size handgun with full patch loads then whisper the “secret” to shooting in their ear. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/16/2022 at 8:19 PM, 21 shooter said:

Often referred to as “selective hearing “.

I'll have to admit to baiting my wife by pretending not to hear her.  Once in a while I'll continue doing what I was doing but say, "what?".  then I will ignore anything after that.

She gets irritated and repeats with some hint of venom in her voice.  I'll ignore what she says and just say, "OK".  

Finally she gets angry and jumps me with fury and claim I am ignoring her.  To which.  I agree!  She really flames up and asks why I'm ignoring her, I answer that I want her mad!

She's pissed and asks me why?  I tell her because now we'll have to make up when we go to bed, and I love angry sex.

I think she does too..........................

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I wish my relatives understood that. I’ve been asked a couple of times to teach the kids to shoot. It never goes anywhere. I want to start with some non-shooting classroom stuff. Then air gun in the basement. Then a day at the range with a .22 rifle. Never happens.

They want me to take a 12 year old to the range, hand them a full size handgun with full patch loads then whisper the “secret” to shooting in their ear. 

My second daughter called me one day.  She said she was calling to ask me to teach her daughter how to shoot and handle a gun.  He daughter was in high school.

I asked why? Since she, my daughter,  had told me that she just wasn't interested in guns.  She had nothing against them, it's just that she wasn't interested.  She went on to tell me that she had realized that her daughter was dating and would shortly be going to parties and get togethers with her friends.  As a result she believed their was a chance she might be exposed to a gun accidently or intentionally by one of her friends.

This made her nervous, since she was her only daughter and she spend many years trying to get pregnant.  Now she couldn't have any more children and invitro was too expensive for more.

She said she wanted her daughter to be comfortable around guns to the extent that she either could handle one safely while knowing how to check to see if it was loaded.  She wanted her to know enough to decide whether she should leave the vicinity of the gun if someone was being careless.

In the end, Yes.  I taught her how to shoot, she loved it as did most all the women in my family.  They said it gave them a feeling of empowerment, a feeling that they also could stand up to someone much stronger.

Afterwards, I gave her a pistol, ammunition, a holster and a lock box to keep it all in.  Her mother, my daughter now had the responsibility of securing the pistol during the years my Grand Daughter is working on her PhD In Veterinary  medicine.  We all have different reasons.

• Like 5

I’m just waiting for the day one of the kids want to learn marksmanship. Not just basic safety and shooting but serious marksmanship.

I start in a billiards hall. Not a gun range. That should freak out the more uptight side of the family.

I start with an empty table and a Cue stick, working on a perfect stroke. Then hitting just a cue ball, focusing the eyes on just the cue ball. Then add a second ball still focusing only on the cue ball.

Think about it. Just mastering the stroke is analogous to shooting. Breathing, position, bone support, trigger control, follow through. Then add the balls one by one. Sight alignment, sight picture, hard focus on the front sight. It works better than starting on the range. 

• Like 5

I used a similar technique playing table tennis rather than billiards., emphasizing: Keep You Eye On The Ball - Keep Your Eye On The Front Sight.

It seemed to help some students and others, not so much.

We've all been there, especially in precision shooting and golf:  I wanna see where that bullet/ball went!!

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, tous said:

I used a similar technique playing table tennis rather than billiards., emphasizing: Keep You Eye On The Ball - Keep Your Eye On The Front Sight.

It seemed to help some students and others, not so much.

We've all been there, especially in precision shooting and golf:  I wanna see where that bullet/ball went!!

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

A lot of golfers are shooters. Especially trap shooting. 

• Like 3

I'm not a great firearms "teacher", but I have shown a few people who had an interest in shooting how to "shoot"

First thing that too many "instructors" (using the term lightly) do not start at home with an easy handgun...say a 22 revolver or even an easy to handle semi

and go over the basics of handling. pointing, trigger feel, loading and checking etc, before going to the range....also I ALWAYS start with a 22...and stand behind the person for all the time they are shooting.

Too many times I have seen some YAHOO think it's funny to hand a 45 or even a 9 mm to a new shooter.....It scares the piss out of them and they will likely quit right there   THIS IS NOT FUNNY

• Like 5

Long ago at a range session my son and I enjoyed.  I was shooting a .357 Magnum Chiappa 4".  I love this revolver.  Having a good time and also listening to the report.

Next to me the stall had a young guy around 20/30 with a pretty young woman.  The only gun he had was a .44 Magnum.  It was loud!.  He was shooting slow and spending a lot of time in preparation and examining his shots.

But, he was constantly coaxing the young woman to shoot his Magnum.  She did take one shot that I saw and he laughed at her barely handling the recoil.  She gave the gun back to him and was looking around at other shooters looking bored.

About this time I took out the Smith and Wesson 5 inch target pistol (.22).  I was shooting with a Red Dot sight and I caught her looking quite puzzled at the apparatus attached to the gun.

I took a chance and asked her if she wanted to shoot it.  She was interested in it I assume, because it didn't look so punishing as the Magnum.  Anyway she said she would like to try it.  I showed her the sight and how to use it along with the pistol safety lever and let her just heft it for a minute first.

She got it, and I put in a magazine and stepped aside to let her do her thing.  You should have seen the smile she had when she could see the dot on the target and the resulting holes close to bullseyes.

I let her go through 3 or four magazines while I loaded.  She couldn't thank me enough for the fun and she really enjoyed it.

I don't know what the guy thought about it but he was busy with his magnum and didn't pay much attention to us.

It was fun just seeing her enjoy something that she could shoot well that didn't cause her discomfort and from target, she shot it well. 

She kept her targets and put them in her purse.  I do believe she had a fun time at the range.

• Like 6

A SPANISH Teacher was explaining to her class that in Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as either masculine or feminine.

'House' for instance, is feminine: 'la casa.'

'Pencil,' however, is masculine: 'el lapiz.'

A student asked, 'What gender is 'computer'?'

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class into two groups, male and female, and asked them to decide for themselves whether computer' should be a masculine or a feminine noun. Each group was asked to give four reasons for its recommendation.

The men's group decided that 'computer' should definitely be of the feminine gender ('la computadora'), beca use:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later retrieval; and

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your pay on accessories for it.

(THIS GETS BETTER!)

The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be Masculine('el computador'), because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer you could have gotten a better model.

The women won.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4