Random Posting

Eric

Just now, Historian said:

It's true.  I learned a lot in shop class in 7th grade.  Kinda wish i had spent more time in the next few years in more advanced classes related to it.  

A lot of what is learned is commonly needed skills.

There should also be mandatory home economics.  Commonly needed semi-skills.

Once I made a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese, but skipped the part about draining it. Oops.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Dric902 said:

Florida man was taken into custody after police said he kept attacking two sheriff’s deputies and their K-9 despite losing and regaining consciousness twice — and getting tased — during the scuffle
https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-man-badly-loses-fight-with-police-k-9

9A33209D-F79A-46E2-8F68-C11CACBDD6C3.thumb.jpeg.51fda288c953c1238cd695c68ce74f60.jpeg

That's why you should always eat a good breakfast. You never know what you may encounter during the workday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Historian said:

It's true.  I learned a lot in shop class in 7th grade.  Kinda wish i had spent more time in the next few years in more advanced classes related to it.  

This is so true.  I have a grandson that didn't like school and took a lot of shop classes.  He excelled in those and now is doing great as a fabricator.  His math and geometry skills are tested everyday and he is doing quite well.  He was explaining to me he is given drawings  and turned loose to assemble these huge metal molds.   Shop and cooking includes a lot of measuring and one can lean practical math right there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I see plumbers, electricians and other contractors in my neighborhood all the time because the younger neighbors can’t fix anything themselves. 

Last Sunday night we had a poly water pipe spring a leak. I cut it out and replaced it with PEX. Took about 20 minutes and my out of pocket expense was under $15. A Sunday night after hours emergency repair for a plumber around here would have been about $500 for my neighbors. 

Trade skills are good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I see plumbers, electricians and other contractors in my neighborhood all the time because the younger neighbors can’t fix anything themselves. 

Last Sunday night we had a poly water pipe spring a leak. I cut it out and replaced it with PEX. Took about 20 minutes and my out of pocket expense was under $15. A Sunday night after hours emergency repair for a plumber around here would have been about $500 for my neighbors. 

Trade skills are good. 

This is why people have hold down two jobs, since they can't repair anything themselves.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Swampfox762 said:

eagle%2527s%2Bnest.JPG

Where we vacation in Northern Minnesota, one nest has been active for many, many years.  We pass it when leaving the bay for the main lake.

It's huge and in the very top of a Pine tree.  The sticks it's made of are so large you can see individual sticks form a great distance away.  You can also see the chicks heads above the nest waiting for mom and dad.

An everyday thrill up there is, when on the lake fishing, you see a Bald Eagle land on the very tip of a very tall pine.  When the bird grabs the top of the tree to land, the whole tree top waves back and forth for a number of seconds before settling down.  

That bird is a monster in size!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Historian said:

Even as a little kid I loved working with tools in my hands. 

The old mansion my father bought came complete with all the tools used to build and finish it.  I was pretty good with an 18 inch draw knife while in grade school.

I learned many manual skills simply because it was such a relief from my later on everyday job in Physics, where you were always problem solving.

In my later years, I came home and after supper I went into the garage and did all kinds of things with tools, wood work, metal work, automotive and autobody work, welding and custom car painting, to forget the mental ordeals of the day.

At one point I had to make a decision whether to continue in custom car work or stay with Physics Research.  I stayed with Physics.

I think if I were born 100 years earlier I would have been a Blacksmith.

• Like 1

• Eric changed the title to BookFace
  • Eric locked this topic
  • Eric pinned this topic
  • Eric unpinned and unlocked this topic