Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

• Administrators

I’ve always preferred the 1963 Impala over the other early sixties years. This is a ‘62 Belair I would really love to have though. That W-block 409 was a kick-ass engine, for its time.

956CED7D-46B4-4CD3-8884-B2206F1211BD.jpeg

16FF044A-45B5-4821-80B9-39C869BEB89E.jpeg

107AA65E-A929-43D7-9891-9A3EA26C70BC.jpeg

0BCF8DC3-141A-472C-92CD-7E78101B7610.jpeg

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Eric said:

I’ve always preferred the 1963 Impala over the other early sixties years. This is a ‘62 Belair I would really love to have though. That W-block 409 was a kick-ass engine, for its time.

956CED7D-46B4-4CD3-8884-B2206F1211BD.jpeg

16FF044A-45B5-4821-80B9-39C869BEB89E.jpeg

107AA65E-A929-43D7-9891-9A3EA26C70BC.jpeg

0BCF8DC3-141A-472C-92CD-7E78101B7610.jpeg

I had one of these but only with the 283.  I learned to never buy a White car in the Midwest with their dependence on salt for the Winter roads.  It was a nice vehicle, but I tore out the carrier bearing one day on the way home from work by having to heavy a foot in rush hour traffic in St, Paul, MN.  Had to drive 30 miles home without any perceptible torque, so the drive shaft would stay where it belonged instead of trying to round out the frame members.

• Like 2

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, janice6 said:

To me the most surprising thing was that you could dissemble the spark plugs to clean them.

If you really want something surprising, advance the timing too much and then try to crank-start it. They weren't known as Elbow Breakers for nothing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Eric said:

If you really want something surprising, advance the timing too much and then try to crank-start it. They weren't known as Elbow Breakers for nothing.

I do remember all the cautions for that.  My buddy in my high school days had a Model T.  It went everywhere, literally.  Those narrow large diameter tires went right through the snow and found the ground for traction.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, janice6 said:

To me the most surprising thing was that you could dissemble the spark plugs to clean them.

I remember the neighborhood service station - yes, service - had a spark plug cleaner operated by compressed air. Put the plug in the opening, squeeze the valve, and fine sand was blasted into the business area of the plug. Heavy on the oil mixed with gasoline for my two cycle Vespa made me a frequent beneficiary of this technology. They also could vulcanize patches on to inner tubes to fix flats.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Eric said:

There was a prescribed way to place your hand on the crank and how to hold your thumb so that kickback would jerk the crank out of your hand hopefully without breaking anything. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

I remember the neighborhood service station - yes, service - had a spark plug cleaner operated by compressed air. Put the plug in the opening, squeeze the valve, and fine sand was blasted into the business area of the plug. Heavy on the oil mixed with gasoline for my two cycle Vespa made me a frequent beneficiary of this technology. They also could vulcanize patches on to inner tubes to fix flats.  

I had one of those sand blaster plug cleaners bolted to my workbench in the garage.  I bought it from J.C. Whitney.  I used to clean the plugs almost weekly.  I was pretty compulsive back then.

• Like 1

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

There was a prescribed way to place your hand on the crank and how to hold your thumb so that kickback would jerk the crank out of your hand hopefully without breaking anything. 

If the timing was advanced too far, the kickback would be quite a bite more violent than normal. If you had a buddy who was an *******, he might move the advance lever a bit on you, just for shits and giggles. It always paid to check the settings yourself, before you gave her a crank. But yeah, there is a way to hold the handle that will minimize the chance for injury. It has been far too long since I messed with an old T to remember what it is though. :599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 1