Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

9 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

This Florida teen is making a business out of rebuilding old-school auto tech

https://www.popsci.com/technology/carburetor-repair-rileys-rebuilds/

image0.jpeg?auto=webp&width=1440&height=1080

Carburetors may represent old-school tech in the automotive world, but don’t tell Riley Schlick, a high school senior in Florida who rebuilds them for a tidy profit. Send your tired, dirty, mucked-up carburetor to Schlick and she’ll return it to you clean, shiny, and ready for duty once again. She has operated her Bradenton-based business, Riley’s Rebuilds, for three years now, and a steady stream of carburetors has crossed her path.

At first, Riley’s Rebuilds was a way for 17-year-old Schlick to buy her first car, which had to meet her parents’ specifications: It needed to have a manual transmission and a roll bar. Within a few months, she made enough money to buy a Jeep. Then, she brought on four friends to work with her. That hiring spree solved two problems, in Schlick’s mind. Her friends make more money rebuilding carburetors than they would working a minimum wage job, and they get to spend time together. 

She learned how to do the work from her dad. “I said to her, ‘You can get a job at Publix or I can show you how to do some restoration stuff in the garage,” says Schlick’s father, Dane Trask, who rebuilds classic cars as a hobby. He showed her how to do it, and also made use of some YouTube tutorials. “She picked it up quick,” he says.

===========

More at the link. Worth a read. 

:bowdown:   First one of those I "dissembled" never did get put back together right....Had to buy a new one  :angel:

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

This Florida teen is making a business out of rebuilding old-school auto tech

https://www.popsci.com/technology/carburetor-repair-rileys-rebuilds/

image0.jpeg?auto=webp&width=1440&height=1080

Carburetors may represent old-school tech in the automotive world, but don’t tell Riley Schlick, a high school senior in Florida who rebuilds them for a tidy profit. Send your tired, dirty, mucked-up carburetor to Schlick and she’ll return it to you clean, shiny, and ready for duty once again. She has operated her Bradenton-based business, Riley’s Rebuilds, for three years now, and a steady stream of carburetors has crossed her path.

At first, Riley’s Rebuilds was a way for 17-year-old Schlick to buy her first car, which had to meet her parents’ specifications: It needed to have a manual transmission and a roll bar. Within a few months, she made enough money to buy a Jeep. Then, she brought on four friends to work with her. That hiring spree solved two problems, in Schlick’s mind. Her friends make more money rebuilding carburetors than they would working a minimum wage job, and they get to spend time together. 

She learned how to do the work from her dad. “I said to her, ‘You can get a job at Publix or I can show you how to do some restoration stuff in the garage,” says Schlick’s father, Dane Trask, who rebuilds classic cars as a hobby. He showed her how to do it, and also made use of some YouTube tutorials. “She picked it up quick,” he says.

===========

More at the link. Worth a read. 

I used to love to rebuild carburetors.  I found that Quadra Jets were no worse than others.  The first thing I learned in re-building them was never lose the parts and always pay attention as to which ball bearing came from which port.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I used to love to rebuild carburetors.  I found that Quadra Jets were no worse than others.  The first thing I learned in re-building them was never lose the parts and always pay attention as to which ball bearing came from which port.

Yeah, the FIRST one...parts flew out that we never did find :shakefist:

• Like 3

My technique was to remove the screws from the body and then gently life the top casting off.  Quickly cover the bottom casting exposed ports with a shop rag, then turn the body over with the shop rag.

The make note of each part that went into each port in the casting.

I did a lot of experimenting with intake manifolds and carbs to see what symptoms I could introduce with misplaced/missing parts, then either running the engine stationary or actually drive it to work and back.  Great learning process.

I found out just how crudely a fuel air mixture could be and have the engine still run.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, janice6 said:

My technique was to remove the screws from the body and then gently life the top casting off.  Quickly cover the bottom casting exposed ports with a shop rag, then turn the body over with the shop rag.

The make note of each part that went into each port in the casting.

I did a lot of experimenting with intake manifolds and carbs to see what symptoms I could introduce with misplaced/missing parts, then either running the engine stationary or actually drive it to work and back.  Great learning process.

I found out just how crudely a fuel air mixture could be and have the engine still run.

Even though I had tons of documentation and exploded drawings of firearms,  that's books for you young'uns,  I occasionally ran across an unfamiliar rifle, pistol or shot gun that I had no information about.

Those I dissected under a clear plastic sheet, sort of a make-shift glove box, in case unknown springs and detents tried to flee.  The plastic kept them from making good their escape to the farthest reaches of the workshop.

The first commandment of gunsmithing and carburetor rebuilding: thou shalt control they springs, lest you come to woe

:biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, tous said:

Even though I had tons of documentation and exploded drawings of firearms,  that's books for you young'uns,  I occasionally ran across an unfamiliar rifle, pistol or shot gun that I had no information about.

Those I dissected under a clear plastic sheet, sort of a make-shift glove box, in case unknown springs and detents tried to flee.  The plastic kept them from making good their escape to the farthest reaches of the workshop.

The first commandment of gunsmithing and carburetor rebuilding: thou shalt control they springs, lest you come to woe

:biggrin:

Just got a S&W Target pistol one day.  After trying it out for a few hundred rounds, I went to the patio to clean it for the first time.  Some part of the disassembly was awkward, but I muddled through it without needing to look at the manual.  Cleaned to perfection, now to assemble.

Well, at one point I watched the recoil spring as it sailed waist high way out into the yard.  It was a magnificent flight, worthy of any spring loaded weapon.

Never found it................  

Now I had to call S&W and confess my stupidity and ignorance.  I swallowed my pride and made the call.  The guy that answered didn't ridicule me and tried to make me feel that everyone was as stupid as I was.  It made me feel better, but lowered my expectations for others.

He said he would send me the spring, and how was I fixed for the nylon buffers?  I wasn't.  He said he would send me a few dozen of those too.

He started to conclude the phone call for parts and I reminded him he didn't have my CC info yet.  He asked me why he would need that?  I told him I wanted to pay for my purchase and he told me that it was part of their support for their firearm.  I was just as astounded as when I saw that spring flying across the yard.

A few days later I got my parts and put the gun back together successfully.  I really like that pistol and a 5"+ barrel with RDS.

My only experience with S&W had been a good one, for me.

As soon as someone mentions springs, I have a flashback and still can see that spring flying to oblivion across the yard...........  I learned...........

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Browning, Winchester, Remington  all did the same thing.

I had many conversations over the telephone with their staff about best practices and tips I didn't find in Gunsmith Kinks and all the companies mentioned were just great.

None of them would sell or ship parts that required expert fitting though.  They cared that no kitchen-table gunsmiths would make their product unsafe.

Customer service the way it should be.

Springfield Armory was 100% jackasses 100% of the time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, tous said:

Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Browning, Winchester, Remington  all did the same thing.

I had many conversations over the telephone with their staff about best practices and tips I didn't find in Gunsmith Kinks and all the companies mentioned were just great.

None of them would sell of ship parts that required expert fitting though.  They cared that no kitchen-table gunsmiths would make their product unsafe.

Customer service the way it should be.

Springfield Armory was 100% jackasses 100% of the time.

I had another experience that echo's what you say, when I needed Ruger for one one of my first handguns.  They went to the wall for their product and made me a believer.  Nothing is as good as good customer service.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1