Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

4 hours ago, DAKA said:

That truck never looked that good when it was NEW

Richard Kughn, who owned Lionel for a number of years, was also a car collector of note. In response to a question during a tour of part of his car collection, he said that a brand new factory fresh car couldn’t even place in a judged show. Wasn’t good enough. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Richard Kughn, who owned Lionel for a number of years, was also a car collector of note. In response to a question during a tour of part of his car collection, he said that a brand new factory fresh car couldn’t even place in a judged show. Wasn’t good enough. 

I believe the term is "Over Restored" This happens (used to anyway) with Corvettes...the fiberglass as new had "waves" I've seen some that looked lite they were made of stamped steel  

Beautiful, but unrealistic..

• Like 2

AMC brilliantly decided that what America needed was to build the Renault 9 in Wisconsin and called them the Alliance.

The Alliance wasn't a terrible automobile, but it wasn't that good, either.

Plus, it was French.

AMC went belly-up for the final time not long after.

Probably stopped them from importing the Twingo.

Didn't stop them from offering the LeCar.

• Like 2

• Administrators
27 minutes ago, tous said:

AMC brilliantly decided that what America needed was to build the Renault 9 in Wisconsin and called them the Alliance.

The Alliance wasn't a terrible automobile, but it wasn't that good, either.

Plus, it was French.

AMC went belly-up for the final time not long after.

Probably stopped them from importing the Twingo.

Didn't stop them from offering the LeCar.

The AMC / Renault partnership was doomed from the start. Even if the Alliance and Fuego had been decent cars, there was no parts or service network established here for their cars and AMC didn’t have the resources to make it happen, at that point. Then the whole mess got dropped in Chrysler’s lap.

I’ve worked on a number of French cars, including Renault Fuego, Alliance and LeCar and on Citroëns. I don’t like how the French design cars and I did not enjoy working on them. Hell, I’ve worked on quite a few Yugos as well and I don’t think the build quality was that much worse than the Renaults. The Yugos were certainly easier to work on. 

• Like 4

I know that the Alliance was built in Kenosha, were the LeCar and Fuego assembled there as well?

AMC and the previous incarnation Rambler were never the best-made automobiles.

I guess Kenosha wasn't Detroit.

Did Peugeot try to establish  a market in America years ago?

• Like 1