Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

1950 Chevrolet 3100 5-Window Half-Ton Pickup - Old School Edition Thriftmaster

Icon is best known for its restored and re-engineered 4x4s, but the Chatsworth, California company is also heavily into vintage pickups.
This 1950 Chevy started life as a 3100 5-window half-ton pickup, and Icon founder and lead designer Jonathan Ward describes it as the first of the company's Old School Edition Thriftmaster builds. (The previous Thriftmasters and other vintage pickups the company has done were bespoke trucks.)
Icon borrows for the truck the Thriftmaster name that Chevrolet used on the six-cylinder engine that originally powered it. This one-time farm truck has been completely transformed mechanically while preserving and enhancing its classic appearance. The chassis now features an independent front and rear suspension, a lowered ride height and modern disc brakes by Wilwood. Under the hood is a GM LS3 V8 engine making 430 horsepower and connected to a 4L85-E column-shifted automatic transmission.
Outside, the olive green and off-white finish is set off with refurbished chrome and a truck bed lined with African teak wood. Inside, the bench seat with fold-down armrest is upholstered in saddle leather, which is used also on the door panels and the headliner. It also wraps the off-white steering wheel, which frames a set of classic round gauges. Modern amenities include a Bluetooth stereo and air conditioning.

1950 Chevrolet 3100 5-Window Half-Ton Pickup - Old School Edition Thriftmaster - 1.jpg

1950 Chevrolet 3100 5-Window Half-Ton Pickup - Old School Edition Thriftmaster - 2.jpg

1950 Chevrolet 3100 5-Window Half-Ton Pickup - Old School Edition Thriftmaster - 3.jpg

1950 Chevrolet 3100 5-Window Half-Ton Pickup - Old School Edition Thriftmaster - 4.jpg

1950 Chevrolet 3100 5-Window Half-Ton Pickup - Old School Edition Thriftmaster - 5.jpg

1950 Chevrolet 3100 5-Window Half-Ton Pickup - Old School Edition Thriftmaster - 6.jpg

1950 Chevrolet 3100 5-Window Half-Ton Pickup - Old School Edition Thriftmaster - 7.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I have a 2001 Chevy S-10 three door pickup. Shows about 242,000 on the odometer. I’m the umpteenth owner.

Finally found a body shop that would fix the sagging driver’s door. Had gotten to the point the door wouldn’t latch. Not that expensive but none seemed interested in the job.

Was told by several shops that this problem is quite common in Chevy and equivalent GMC trucks of this style and era. So much so that YouTube has several “how to fix” videos.

Been a handy truck for me and I’m glad to have it back… even though the picture is not my truck. 

B21AC729-DE28-4217-B4CE-D4A5153E05F2.jpeg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

1939 Ford COE (Cab-Over-Engine) - Barron Gus Custom - Cover Of Street Rodder Mag - Jan. 2019

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 8.36.21 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 8.37.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 8.37.44 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 8.37.50 AM.png

Reminds me of a classic VW joke. Two women were renting a VW and checking it out. The one opened the “hood” in front and said “Oh dear! There is no engine” About that time the other opened the “trunk” and said “That’s OK. We have a spare one here”

• Haha 3

1956 Volkswagen Beetle aka The “Berlin Buick”

IMO, this car is a beautiful ride that rolls out and sounds out sweet.

The “Berlin Buick,” as it’s called, started life as a 1956 Volkswagen Beetle. The motor is a 1961, 215 cubic inch aluminum block, fuel injected Buick V-8 engine which is mounted inside the passenger compartment where the rear seat would have originally been located.
This 1956 Volkswagen Beetle called “Berlin Buick” was built by Browns Metal Mods in New York.
At the recent Syracuse Nationals Hot Rod and Custom Car Show, the car was selected as a winner and hi-lighted in the prestigious Designers Dozen display.
The original concept of this VW-Buick combination is a long time dream of Rob Freeman from Watertown, who is the owner and designer. Mr. Freeman selected Brown’s Metal Mods to build this unique vehicle because of their notoriety, engineering and fabrication skills. The vehicle was constructed over a two year period and made its second showing at Syracuse in front of 100,000 spectators. The car’s two tone paint colors are tonic brown and ginger beer.
The Beetle uses a reinforced pan and rides on a custom independent suspension with RideTech air shocks. A custom tube chassis supports an all-aluminum Buick 215 V8 that produces 250-275 horsepower with a Hilborn injection stack and exhausts through straight headers that exit under the rear windows.
Running the autocross at Columbus: (This thing sounds so badazz)

1956 Volkswagen Beetle aka The “Berlin Buick” - 1.jpg

1956 Volkswagen Beetle aka The “Berlin Buick” - 2.jpg

1956 Volkswagen Beetle aka The “Berlin Buick” - 3.jpg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pipedreams said:

Original bill of sale 1967 Mustang.....

c15a35e4dd8a8897.jpeg

My brand new '67 Mustang was a V8 with Auto, Brushed Stainless dash with roof and floor console.  Louvered door on console held 2 lbs. of Tootsie Rolls for that stressful drive.  The interior was Parchment White.

After a year, I took it back to the dealer and told them it wouldn't shift in auto anymore.  The told me that I was shifting the auto manually so long it gummed up.  After staying in auto it started shifting normally again.

I later took off the upholstered door panels and made Brushed Stainless panels in the shop at work for it.  Paint was a Bronze.  God, I loved that car. 

Took the family (me, wife and two young girls) to the Black Hills the Summer I got it.  We did 100 miles an hour all the way from the Black Hills to Minnesota.  Did I say I loved that car!

I went on to acquire 6 or 8 Mustangs between 66 and 68.  Didn't like them newer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

Volkswagen Ad Photo.jpg

I built a bunch of Done Buggy's out of crashed VW Bugs, got them from junk yards...all I needed was the pan (which was attached to the body by about 20 bolts....then it lifted right off

The suspension engine, transmission all stayed together...cut a section out of the pan to shorten it, bolt on the fiberglass body and ,,,Dune buggy,,, (well, almost)

• Like 1