Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

10 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

A hardtop is more practical and cheaper to buy but I've always wanted a convertible. The closest I've come is my Jeep Wrangler with the removable T-tops which I'm enjoying right now. The whole top comes off but it's a lot of work to take it off and  put it back on.:car-green:

I eventually hung a dedicated chain hoist in my shop to lift the hardtop off and on my 2014 JKU. I used to get under it and stand up and walk it off but my a$$ got too old for that, lol. But, like you, I almost always drove with the T-tops off and in the back so I could put them back on during our frequent afternoon showers here in north Florida.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

A hardtop is more practical and cheaper to buy but I've always wanted a convertible. The closest I've come is my Jeep Wrangler with the removable T-tops which I'm enjoying right now. The whole top comes off but it's a lot of work to take it off and  put it back on.:car-green:

Had a 1968 Firebird convertible. Almost certainly replaced the top more frequently than the tires. Rear “window” was clear plastic which all too soon was totally opaque.  Friend had a 1968 Oldsmobile convertible. Slightly larger vehicle. Rear window was glass with a zipper surround that had to be unzipped to lower the top and zipped once the top was up. 

22 hours ago, pipedreams said:

This guy's CAR-pentry skills could leave one with a REAL WOODY!!!

I built a Wooden Hotrod - Boat Tail Speedster ~ pretty neat

I had a chance to buy a 70's Olds 98 with a 455 engine for almost nothing and thought that it wouldn't be too hard to take off the big old hunkin' Olds 98 body, shorten the frame and driveshaft, build a wooden CJ5 Jeep body on the frame. The CJ5 has almost no curved surfaces and even the front fenders and the hood could be made a little more squared off and still look right.

It wouldn't be 4 wheel drive anymore but the power-to-weight ratio would allow it to go up some pretty steep grades. I don't think it would have been that difficult to do and I'm a pretty good carpenter and mechanic, but at the time I didn't have a place to do a project like that. Look at this picture of a CJ5 and see how easy it would have been.

cj5.jpg