Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

1 hour ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I read an article on a antique auto site the other day that said a lot of people are being driven to buy older cars to avoid the computerization and connection to authorities who can shut down the newer models, but I don't know how much that is driving the market realistically.

I’ve been thinking about this. What is the latest date range of vehicles which might be suitable for this as a daily driver, and what features should it not have. 

1 minute ago, railfancwb said:

I’ve been thinking about this. What is the latest date range of vehicles which might be suitable for this as a daily driver, and what features should it not have. 

You need to ask someone who knows much more about it than I do. When/if you find the answer, please share it here

• Administrators
Just now, railfancwb said:

Believe Sears sold Henry Js in its catalog for a few years. 

Yep. They called it the Allstate, of course. There were minor differences, like the grille, but it was basically the same car. They also sold scooters made by Cushman and Simplex Service Cycle.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

You need to ask someone who knows much more about it than I do. When/if you find the answer, please share it here

Haven’t found a definitive answer, but the “…clean air act of 1977 set limits as to the amount of each of these [air] pollutants that could be emitted from an automobile.”

So 1977 appears to be a “line in the sand”.

• Like 2

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

And scooters made by Vespa. 

Here is a little motorbike that Sears sold for kids, back in the day. I remember a friend of mine having one. He absolutely would not let anyone else ride it alone. Anyway, I just saw this ad on a Seventies Nostalgia Group on FB.

And yes, it had the FULL four horsepower, by God! :greensupergrin:

294684007_5765477490163727_5305516625094926121_n.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, railfancwb said:

I'd like a 60's car, completely restored and rebuilt but with modern electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition which would use brand-specific aftermarket computers that no one is likely to have remote access to. And I'd want something economical but that still had decent performance so turbocharging might be an option. A 1963 Pontiac Tempest convertible would be stylish and the 4 cylinder with a Ram Air IV cylinder head with a modest 9 to 1 compression so that it could run on regular would be nice.

1963_tempest_red_olct_f.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Borg warner said:

I'd like a 60's car, completely restored and rebuilt but with modern electronic fuel injection and electronic ignition which would use brand-specific aftermarket computers that no one is likely to have remote access to. And I'd want something economical but that still had decent performance so turbocharging might be an option. A 1963 Pontiac Tempest convertible would be stylish and the 4 cylinder with a Ram Air IV cylinder head with a modest 9 to 1 compression so that it could run on regular would be nice.

1963_tempest_red_olct_f.jpg

I like the way you think! Would not want a convertible though. Replacing tops more frequently than tires is a bummer. 

3 hours ago, railfancwb said:

I like the way you think! Would not want a convertible though. Replacing tops more frequently than tires is a bummer. 

A hardtop is more practical and cheaper to buy but I've always wanted a convertible. The closest I've come is my Jeep Wrangler with the removable T-tops which I'm enjoying right now. The whole top comes off but it's a lot of work to take it off and  put it back on.:car-green: