Beautiful Cars & Trucks

Eric

What is old (1933) has all of a sudden become new - huh? Very few people even know what a Packard car is, the original self-parking car. People think today's car companies invented self-parking technology. Not so fast says Packard Motor Car Company, 1899-1956. They had parking all figured out long before most of us were born...

https://www.eeweb.com/what-self-parking-cars-in-1933/

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I've never understood the reasoning behind that either. I'm sure they had some reason .... but it was probably racist ... lol.

Usually, the explanation for the exposed chauffeur's compartment is that the body designs were based on traditions set in the horse-and-carriage era, when the driver would be outside as a necessity of dealing with reins and horses and all those particulars of living-meat-based locomotion. When the automobile became the dominant mode of transport, there was no longer a reason to leave the driver outside and exposed — except for tradition.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Have never understood the lack of roof for driver. 

20 minutes ago, Schmidt Meister said:

I've never understood the reasoning behind that either. I'm sure they had some reason .... but it was probably racist ... lol.

Maybe a holdover from horse drawn carriages.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Schmidt Meister said:

$302.275

They are trying to remove a mistake bid. I think that the winning bid was actually around 36,000.

That would be more reasonable, even $36,000 is a bit much ??

These days the "market" is nutso...who is paying those prices?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAKA said:

That would be more reasonable, even $36,000 is a bit much ??

These days the "market" is nutso...who is paying those prices?

I read an article on a antique auto site the other day that said a lot of people are being driven to buy older cars to avoid the computerization and connection to authorities who can shut down the newer models, but I don't know how much that is driving the market realistically.

• Like 2