Movies

15 hours ago, tous said:

One of the most interesting aspects of learning a foreign language are the idioms, which are really learning the culture.

For me, learning the language is pretty much inventorying verbs, nouns and adjectives.

The idioms, the figures of speech, the expressions are what make the language and the culture fascinating.

Examples:  Avoir les chenilles qui enflent.  (you have ankles that swell: said when one is full of one's self -- see You have a swelled head in American English)

No me tomes el pelo.  (Don't pull my hair: don't mess with me; don't tease me -- see Don't blow smoke up my skirt in American English)

I flatulate in your general direction. You son of a hamster, that eats too much elderberry. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Eric said:

Why are donut holes so named, when they are the opposite of a donut hole? What would be a more accurate name?

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 8.58.49 PM.png

A Donut Blockage? A Donut Occlusion? How about a Donut Plug or a Donut Slug? Maybe a Donut Punching? My vote is for Donut Dross.

Hard to tell. They are in motion, and hitherto fore cannot be fixed in space. And continuum stuff and all that. Fore sooth even! 

• Like 3

I just watched The Beekeeper last night. Great movie about a guy, who  kind of like the good guy in Sisu, is a virtual one-man-Army, but the odds are even greater against him, and the bad guys are just as bad as any Nazi's. The movie is a little over the top but quite well done.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

For some reason I was reminded of “I Want To Live” a 1958 film staring Rita Hayward. Believe she won an Oscar for that role.

IMG_6665.jpeg

If I made a remake I would have her singing Time Is On My Side at the end. And I wouldn't let them cast Lizzo as the lead.

• Like 1

We watched High Plains Drifter last night. I always relate it to Pale Rider, probably because they have a similar surreal quality (like Dali knocking over a bridge). I get 10 - 15 minutes into HPD and think "Hey, where's Sydney?" 

• Like 2

We ended up watching Renfield last night because it was shorter than Violent Night and we were getting a late start watching anything.  Soooo... I admit I laughed.  Not a fan of blood-n-guts horror, but there was enough comedy that it was worth the time spent.  Especially since it got both the kids watching the same thing, which is a rarity anymore.  We'll try for Violent Night again this evening, if we are home early enough...

• Like 3