Movies

I finally got to watch Sisu tonight. That was the best new-to--me movie I've seen in ages.  I mentally picture you all as the main character.  I need some more movies like that to watch where the good guy(s) win and the bad guys get what's coming to them. Got any recs?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not many Finnish films extant, eh?

Where we say, grit, Finns say sisu.

Nearly any Clint Eastwood film of the 1970s, western or Dirty Harry versions.

The Magnificent Seven is a film I will always make time to watch,

Good guys win, some don't leave alive.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Dune is a great story to read, but a hard one to make into a film.

Much like Lord of the Rings, much of the story is subtle, philosophical and religious.

Younger audiences demand CGI explosions every fifteen seconds.

Hard to convey on a screen unless the actors are exceptional, and Kyle MacLachian  surely wasn't .

Other. more accomplished actors such as Patrick Stewart, Dean Stockwell, Jose Ferrer and Max Von Sydow, just didn't have enough screen time to impart their complex characters.

If one had not read the book, they wouldn't know why the Hell those important characters were even in the movie.

I refer to the 1980s film.

I haven't seen the remake.

NB Herbert should have stopped with Dune.

The sequels sucked.

So, there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Have you seen Violent Night? It is a bit over the top in places, but I really enjoyed it. The guy that played Santa (I forget his name, but he is a good actor) plays the hell out of the role. It was a fun flick.

• Like 2

• Administrators

How about Red Heat? Jim Belushi and Schwartzenwhattits were great together. Another fun action flick that doesn’t require a lot from you to enjoy it.

• Like 3

• Administrators

Running Scared is one of my favorite eighties light action films. Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines made a perfect comedic duo. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

Have you seen Bullet Train? There haven’t been recent movies I really enjoyed, but this one made the short list. This was a very different role for Brad Pitt, but he nails it. The whole movie has a vaguely Tarantino feel to it, but wackier and funnier. Not a cinematic classic, but it has a good plot and they did an outstanding job of tying up every loose end. I’ve watched this movie four times now. I really enjoy this movie.

• Like 1

• Administrators

LA Confidential is one of my favorite gangster/cop movies. It has an ensemble cast that actually manage to work really well together. Great movie and the bad guys definitely get theirs. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

The Foreigner is another great action flick. Jackie Chan has turned into a damned good actor. The action sequences are still shades of the old Jackie Chan, but toned down and matured. It is believable that a guy of his age could do the things he did. I really like this movie.

• Like 3

• Administrators

I would be surprised if you haven’t already seen Boondocks Saints, but I’ll mention it, just in case. Another movie on my favorites list. The bad guys most definitely do get what is coming to them. It is kind of these guys’ mission. And shepherds we shall be… :greensupergrin:

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Eric said:

The Foreigner is another great action flick. Jackie Chan has turned into a damned good actor. The action sequences are still shades of the old Jackie Chan, but toned down and matured. It is believable that a guy of his age could do the things he did. I really like this movie.

Reminded me of The Substitute, with Tom Berenger as the surprising good guy, a Murcan Trope. ;)

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Eric said:

Have you seen Violent Night? It is a bit over the top in places, but I really enjoyed it. The guy that played Santa (I forget his name, but he is a good actor) plays the hell out of the role. It was a fun flick.

Oh this one was on my list to watch and I completely forgot about it - that will be my Thursday night when I’m tired from driving to PA and back and just want to veg with a movie!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Waiting to be seated for a late showing of Dune part 2. The place is deserted. 

image.jpg

So empty!  I guess I shouldn’t be surprised about that late on a Monday night, but I do wonder how movie theaters stay in business nowadays when it looks like that most of the week…

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Eric said:

I would be surprised if you haven’t already seen Boondocks Saints, but I’ll mention it, just in case. Another movie on my favorites list. The bad guys most definitely do get what is coming to them. It is kind of these guys’ mission. And shepherds we shall be… :greensupergrin:

One of my favorite movies.  I hear they are making a third… I hope they don’t screw it up.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Eric said:

LA Confidential is one of my favorite gangster/cop movies. It has an ensemble cast that actually manage to work really well together. Great movie and the bad guys definitely get theirs. 

I'm a fan of the LA gangsters genre. The goon squad was LA, not nyc. 

Mulholland Falls is the way back to Cleveland. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Rellik said:

I'm a fan of the LA gangsters genre. The goon squad was LA, not nyc. 

Mulholland Falls is the way back to Cleveland. 

Mulholland Falls was a good one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, tous said:

Not many Finnish films extant, eh?

Where we say, grit, Finns say sisu.

Nearly any Clint Eastwood film of the 1970s, western or Dirty Harry versions.

The Magnificent Seven is a film I will always make time to watch,

Good guys win, some don't leave alive.

:599c64bfb50b0_wavey1:

I'm probably in the minority, but. I believe that good guys winning is more important than surviving.  I don't believe in throwing your life away, but. I do believe that if it is a question of offing the bad guy and me dying, the bad guy is done for.  I'm 84 and I think it's a good enough trade.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, tous said:

Dune is a great story to read, but a hard one to make into a film.

Much like Lord of the Rings, much of the story is subtle, philosophical and religious.

Younger audiences demand CGI explosions every fifteen seconds.

Hard to convey on a screen unless the actors are exceptional, and Kyle MacLachian  surely wasn't .

Other. more accomplished actors such as Patrick Stewart, Dean Stockwell, Jose Ferrer and Max Von Sydow, just didn't have enough screen time to impart their complex characters.

If one had not read the book, they wouldn't know why the Hell those important characters were even in the movie.

I refer to the 1980s film.

I haven't seen the remake.

NB Herbert should have stopped with Dune.

The sequels sucked.

So, there.

I loved the book story Dune. Three volumes.  I haven't seen all the movie versions, but the ones I saw made me think that the director didn't understand the story at all.

• Like 1