Movies

4 hours ago, janice6 said:

I'm probably in the minority, but. I believe that good guys winning is more important than surviving.  I don't believe in throwing your life away, but. I do believe that if it is a question of offing the bad guy and me dying, the bad guy is done for.  I'm 84 and I think it's a good enough trade.

Older we get the less death or life in prison are threats. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, janice6 said:

I loved the book story Dune. Three volumes.  I haven't seen all the movie versions, but the ones I saw made me think that the director didn't understand the story at all.

Dune was a masterpiece in horrible. The book was terrible, the first movie was just horrid, the new one? Part one was unwatchable. 

Maybe it is like Heavy Metal, best enjoyed while high.

I think I'm the only person in the universe that thinks this of Dune, but it is what it is.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

I think I'm the only person in the universe that thinks this of Dune, but it is what it is.

Yes, you are the only one. But we love you anyway. We'll keep you around a bit longer, until your replacement arrives. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Rellik said:

Yes, you are the only one. But we love you anyway. We'll keep you around a bit longer, until your replacement arrives. 😉 

I've met my replacement. Good luck. :anim_lol:

Judging from Bates' pic, I'm not alone.

• Haha 4

49 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

Dune was a masterpiece in horrible. The book was terrible, the first movie was just horrid, the new one? Part one was unwatchable. 

Maybe it is like Heavy Metal, best enjoyed while high.

Never succeeded in reading the books or watching the movies, so you aren’t quite the only person. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I tried watching the original movie a couple times and couldn't get in to it. I didn't figure a woke remake would improve on that one, so I didn't watch the remake either.

As for the books, there are a handful of writers who's styles are such a chore for me to read, that I couldn't make it through any of their novels. That isn't an indictment of their writing ability, just my preference. Frank Herbert is on that list. So is Robert Ludlum, Samuel Clemens and Isaac Asimov. I just can't read them.

• Like 2

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Oh this one was on my list to watch and I completely forgot about it - that will be my Thursday night when I’m tired from driving to PA and back and just want to veg with a movie!

I'll be curious to see what you make of it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Oh this one was on my list to watch and I completely forgot about it - that will be my Thursday night when I’m tired from driving to PA and back and just want to veg with a movie!

I'm going to label it an acquired taste. It is what it is, any more might ruin it. I didn't hate it.

• Like 2

To all the great unwashed, and the rest of the Hoi paloi. I have the rare and coveted "Dune Encyclopedea." 

You may, at your convenience,  be at once, envious,  jealous,  and awestruck! 

The others can take a flying leap through a rolling donut. Good Day! 🤣👌

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Rellik said:

To all the great unwashed, and the rest of the Hoi paloi. I have the rare and coveted "Dune Encyclopedea." 

You may, at your convenience,  be at once, envious,  jealous,  and awestruck! 

The others can take a flying leap through a rolling donut. Good Day! 🤣👌

Yeah, go walk with rhythm. :greensupergrin:

• Haha 4

• Administrators
36 minutes ago, Rellik said:

Walkin' in rhythm, movin' in style. 

Thinkin' 'bout my baby, movin' in sound........

Stylistics, ,????? 80s ???? 

I was thinking more of, "Walk without rhythm and it won't attract the worm." Fatboy Slim, Weapon of Choice. :supergrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 3/26/2024 at 8:26 AM, Mrs.Cicero said:

It is pretty mesed up. I liked it!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rellik said:

Walkin' in rhythm, movin' in style. 

Thinkin' 'bout my baby, movin' in sound........

Stylistics, ,????? 80s ???? 

Motown meets disco.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rellik said:

The others can take a flying leap through a rolling donut. Good Day!

One leaps through a rolling doughnut HOLE!

A rolling doughnut without a hole is not a doughnut.

Danged kids.  :miff:

:599c64b322d5b_tongueout:

NB  Yes, I have experienced folk actually write: Take a long walk off a short peer.  :upeyes:

So, does one lay one's vertically-challenged companion down flat and walk on them, or leave them standing and climb up one side and down the other?

When did spelling become extinct?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, tous said:

One leaps through a rolling doughnut HOLE!

A rolling doughnut without a hole is not a doughnut.

Danged kids.  :miff:

:599c64b322d5b_tongueout:

NB  Yes, I have experienced folk actually write: Take a long walk on a short peer.  :upeyes:

So, does one lay one's vertically-challenged companion down flat and walk on them, or leave them standing and climb up one side and down the other?

When did spelling become extinct?

It is a little-known fact that, 'Take a long walk on a short pier', is a misspelled, misinterpreted version of an old Irish curse. The curse is actually, "Take a long walk with a short beer." This curse implies that you will run out of beer long before you finish your walk and you will spend that dry, tiring time wishing you had a tall beer. The Irish are a fiendish lot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Why are donut holes so named, when they are the opposite of a donut hole? What would be a more accurate name?

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 8.58.49 PM.png

A Donut Blockage? A Donut Occlusion? How about a Donut Plug or a Donut Slug? Maybe a Donut Punching? My vote is for Donut Dross.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Eric said:

It is a little-known fact that, 'Take a long walk on a short pier', is a misspelled, misinterpreted version of an old Irish curse. The curse is actually, "Take a long walk with a short beer." This curse implies that you will run out of beer long before you finish your walk and you will spend that dry, tiring time wishing you had a tall beer. The Irish are a fiendish lot.

One of the most interesting aspects of learning a foreign language are the idioms, which are really learning the culture.

For me, learning the language is pretty much inventorying verbs, nouns and adjectives.

The idioms, the figures of speech, the expressions are what make the language and the culture fascinating.

Examples:  Avoir les chenilles qui enflent.  (you have ankles that swell: said when one is full of one's self -- see You have a swelled head in American English)

No me tomes el pelo.  (Don't pull my hair: don't mess with me; don't tease me -- see Don't blow smoke up my skirt in American English)

• Like 2