SpaceX Star Ship Launch?

FullClip

They say 3rd time's the charm, so maybe after a couple tries with mixed results, they will be successful Thursday.

Anybody gonna' watch the launch of the world's most powerful rocket??

(more info at the link, and of course the date and time are subject to change)

https://www.space.com/spacex-starship-3rd-test-flight-date

SpaceX eyes March 14 for 3rd Starship test flight

The next test flight of SpaceX's Starship rocket could come as soon as next week.

SpaceX is targeting March 14 for the third flight test of its Starship vehicle, according to a post on X (formerly Twitter) the company quietly published announcing a livestream of the launch. Starship somewhat confusingly consists of two parts: The stainless-steel reusable upper stage known also as Starship, and its Super Heavy first-stage booster. Together, the two stand over 400 feet tall (122 meters).

The company recently performed a critical fueling test on March at its Starbase facility near Boca Chica, Texas. During the test, over 10 million pounds of liquid methane and liquid oxygen were pumped into the rocket. "Starship Flight 3 preparing for launch," SpaceX CEO Elon Musk wrote in a post on X accompanying photos of the fueling test. You can watch the test here at Space.com, when the time comes, courtesy of SpaceX.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Briefly heard on radio that a launch from Vandenberg base in CA was successful with orbit achieved. Believe it was this vehicle. 

Oh no....this is the real big one, and his space ship takes off from coastal Texas near Padre Island.  This rocket is bigger than the Saturn V.....it's huuuuge.

The combined Starship and Super Heavy together stand at as towering 394 feet tall (120 meters) compared to the Saturn 5 rocket which was 363 feet (111 meters). Its 33 Raptor engines will generate more than 16 million pounds of thrust, roughly twice that of the Saturn 5.

• Like 5

If I'm near a 'puter I'll watch it. That thing is impressive by any metric.

Musk was going over plans when talking to employees to make it five times as powerful. That is hard to imagine.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, jmohme said:

If I wasnt scheduled to work a horse show in Waco that day, I would drive to the coast to watch. It's not that bad a drive for me.

Dang, I'd love to see it in person.  Always wanted to see a Saturn take off when I was a kid, but this should be even bigger and better.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, FullClip said:

Dang, I'd love to see it in person.  Always wanted to see a Saturn take off when I was a kid, but this should be even bigger and better.

If it is that big, who knows. I might be able to see it from Waco.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, geeorge said:

I heard they are thinning down the rocket fuel so it has a better chance, 

they added 1 can of PBR to it

Are you talking about Space X or the twats you refered to earlier?

• Like 3

On 3/11/2024 at 6:40 PM, FullClip said:

Dang I'm getting senile. Quoted but forgot to post a reply. Was going to tell about where they tested the first Saturn rocket engines south of where I live near on Edwards AFB. Never got to see the test but talking to an attendant at a gas station in 4 Corners, it was awesome. The hill with the test site was near the gas station.

image.png.5eca487ed5827c9c4053881ff377c1bc.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, El Spicoli said:

Sir, that is completely inappropriate.  They censored my made up word of - twunt.

Thats over at the tight butt other site, not here. Eric is fair and has a sense of humor, 

And Twunt isn't a word but Crunt is

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators

They lost contact with the Starship during reentry, at an altitude of 65kmh and a speed of over 25,000kph. They were able to get telemetry and video almost to the end, which was a huge accomplishment in and of itself. This is the first time that anyone has been able to remain in communication with a vehicle during reentry, due to the plasma field that envelops the craft.

This was a hugely successful test. They were able to launch successfully, with all the engines igniting. They successfully separated the Starship from its first stage and ignite its engines. They were able to insert the Starship into orbit and deorbit the craft. The first stage was lost as well, but it made it as far as attempting to restart its engines during the deceleration burn prior to a soft splashdown. Only a few engines restarted. It passed several important milestones before it was lost though.

All in all, a good day for SpaceX.

• Like 6

The sad part of this story is how the left wingers are rejoicing that the landing of the booster and ship didn't go so well.  Over at DU in the "General Discussion" forum you can see how much they hate Elon Musk.  He was once their golden child because of the electric car deal.  But now because he's not banning some folks on what used to be twitter, he is the worst person on earth.....go figure.

• Like 5