Inflation By Deflation

Eric

• Administrators

I've noticed a recent trend with food products. Many are getting smaller. I bought a box of Toaster Strudel at the store today, on impulse. I used to love them. The box is still the same size, but the pastries inside are now about an inch shorter than they used to be and by 'used to be' I mean since the last time I bought these things, which was less than a year ago. This isn't the only food product I've noticed this on. In addition to food prices going up, some companies are making the products smaller. Have any of you noticed this in other food products?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I almost bought the smallest size bag of chips the other day. The bag looked the same size as always but if you held it to the light, you could easily see it was 80% air. Only, like, five chips in there.

I wonder if the store buyers get to choose between 'same packaging / less contents' or 'smaller package / less contents'? Some people might still have a conscience.

It's been a very long time since I bought breakfast cereal. The box (on the shelf) looked the same width and height. But it was only ~1" thick. PSYCH!!
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Eric said:

I've noticed a recent trend with food products. Many are getting smaller. I bought a box of Toaster Strudel at the store today, on impulse. I used to love them. The box is still the same size, but the pastries inside are now about an inch shorter than they used to be and by 'used to be' I mean since the last time I bought these things, which was less than a year ago. This isn't the only food product I've noticed this on. In addition to food prices going up, some companies are making the products smaller. Have any of you noticed this in other food products?

Yes.  Have you noticed the standard weight of a bag of coffee has shrunk?  And cereal boxes, don't get me started on that -I've been so annoyed, I only buy cereal anymore when the one child who loves her cereal is home.  The rest of the time, we eat bacon and eggs or hashbrowns and sausage for breakfast.  Or skip breakfast.  I'm waiting for the cans of soup to shrink again.

• Sad 4

• Administrators
Just now, Mrs.Cicero said:

Yes.  Have you noticed the standard weight of a bag of coffee has shrunk?  And cereal boxes, don't get me started on that -I've been so annoyed, I only buy cereal anymore when the one child who loves her cereal is home.  The rest of the time, we eat bacon and eggs or hashbrowns and sausage for breakfast.  Or skip breakfast.  I'm waiting for the cans of soup to shrink again.

I thought I was going crazy. Or maybe growing. :greensupergrin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Many cereal boxes are so narrow that they can't stand on the shelf by themselves.  Smaller containers, less stuff, same or higher price too.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

I remember when ice cream containers were half gallon.  I've noticed the cereal box shrinkage too.  I don't often eat breakfast but I keep stuff around in case I want some.  My old cereal went stale and I was going to buy some fresh stuff.  I wasn't about to pay 7 bucks for the smallest box of fruit loops I've seen, not counting the single serve ones they have in hotels.

• Sad 1

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, DAKA said:

:angrysoapbox:     THE END IS NEAR    :angrysoapbox:

I thought it was the new sheriff that was near?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Shrinkflation is very real.   The government even stepped in a few years ago and passed a law making it ok for liquor companies to do it.  It was previously illegal to fill in any off sizes.

Look closely at this latest Jack Daniels release:

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

Read the contents too.  Ruth's pimento cheese now contains no cheese.  Ruth's hot dog chili now contains no meat. I saw a brand of peanut butter (store brand) that was only 50% peanuts.  A lot of meat products that used to be made with beef or pork are now made with chicken. Whenever an established product starts advertising itself as "new and improved" it's neither, just made cheaper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1