Ummm, Huh?

Eric

3 hours ago, Eric said:

This comes in handy if you have trouble with the kids running in the house.

411895764_7289139607792547_3766110475614572445_n.jpg

Mild warping, You have probably never seen a High School guy floor after severe  flooding... 

• Like 3

• Administrators
1 minute ago, railfancwb said:

So long as the two simultaneous users don’t get into a water fight with the hoses 

Or someone was lounging in the tub while someone showered. Depending on the showering person, that could be an interesting or revolting point of view for the bather.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Eric said:

This is an interesting arrangement. I like it.

416971203_248134451638176_97232202761619484_n.jpg

Wife and I went on a cruise when, for whatever reason, they put us in a handicap balcony room instead of the basic room for which we had paid. Had a very large shower which a wheel chair could roll into. Floor sloped to a floor drain similar to this. Rest of the room was also nice and spacious. 

• Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 5:22 PM, Eric said:

Had this happen to the house we rent, only worse. Bizarre. Still don’t know what happened.

• Like 3

On 1/8/2024 at 6:22 PM, Eric said:

I have questions about that picture.

If that is indeed a wood floor that has heaved, why aren't there gaps between the planks in the raised portion?

And those planks appear to be very wide compared to contemporary stock.

:headscratch:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NPTim said:

Had this happen to the house we rent, only worse. Bizarre. Still don’t know what happened.

We rented a top floor of a private home in Minneapolis.  The owner had "re-modeled" the first floor they lived in. 

He removed a load bearing wall in doing so.

We could measure a two inch gap between the second floor and the baseboard.  

I was glad to get out of that place.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tous said:

If that is indeed a wood floor that has heaved, why aren't there gaps between the planks in the raised portion?

Looks like lots of moisture absorption expanding the flooring.  If the subfloor had heaved, I would agree with you.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, tous said:

I’m guessing that is modern tongue-and-groove wood laminate flooring. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Eric said:

I’m guessing that is modern tongue-and-groove wood laminate flooring. 

The floors in my home were put down in the latter 1800's and they were all tongue and groove.

Incidentally, I stayed at an old BnB in Stillwater that was very similar to my home in design.  I commented on the fact that when they sanded the floors during remodeling that they didn't "set the flooring nails". 

The owner told me I was wrong and that was the original.  I have never seen a mansion where the nail heads protruded from the flooring and made it unsightly.  I told him my home was a very similar design and they set the nail in it.  He stated that this was original.  It couldn't be original since 100+ years would make the floors uneven including the wear.   Everything else was re-done.  They wouldn't ignore the floors.

No matter.  He was a new owner and a neophyte on old homes.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, tous said:

High moisture cause the wood to expand, pressure on the bottom of the groove of the adjacent board prevented the bottom from opening up and the top expanded to remain relatively tight.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tous said:

That seems likely.

If that top plank were natural wood, you would expect it to crack along the grain if distorted like that.

Time and pressure. Lots of time......  In wood working we wet the board or preferably steamed it for penetration, and bent them without causing cracking if done slowly and with care.

• Like 2

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, janice6 said:

The floors in my home were put down in the latter 1800's and they were all tongue and groove.

Incidentally, I stayed at an old BnB in Stillwater that was very similar to my home in design.  I commented on the fact that when they sanded the floors during remodeling that they didn't "set the flooring nails". 

The owner told me I was wrong and that was the original.  I have never seen a mansion where the nail heads protruded from the flooring and made it unsightly.  I told him my home was a very similar design and they set the nail in it.  He stated that this was original.  It couldn't be original since 100+ years would make the floors uneven including the wear.   Everything else was re-done.  They wouldn't ignore the floors.

I was referring to modern laminate floors that have a cheap wood substrate and thin wood strips on top, or vinyl wood grain on the really cheap stuff. This type of flooring is usually tongue-and-groove sections two or three feet long and two or three 'boards' wide. The whole floor locks together, but is not attached to the sub-floor. It rests on a foam sheet. If water gets under the flooring, it will buckle just like that. It is a hell of a lot harder to get a real wood plank floor to buckle like that, since every board gets nailed down, either by face nailing, or through the tongue of each run of boards.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Eric said:

I was referring to modern laminate floors that have a cheap wood substrate and thin wood strips on top, or vinyl wood grain on the really cheap stuff. This type of flooring is usually tongue-and-groove sections two or three feet long and two or three 'boards' wide. The whole floor locks together, but is not attached to the sub-floor. It rests on a foam sheet. If water gets under the flooring, it will buckle just like that. It is a hell of a lot harder to get a real wood plank floor to buckle like that, since every board gets nailed down, either by face nailing, or through the tongue of each run of boards.

Sorry, I misunderstood.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, janice6 said:

Sorry, I misunderstood.

I’m not a big fan of the modern laminate wood flooring, unless it is really high-end. Some companies offer such flooring that the surface wood is actually thick enough to sand and refinish, as it ages. That stuff costs almost as much as a real hardwood floor though. 

I’ve installed several wood laminate floors of a respectable quality brand. They install quickly and easily, but they are easily damaged. Also, no matter how careful you are to keep out any dust and debris when you lay the floor, dirt always seems to work its way through the tongue-and-groove joints and it makes unpleasant gritty noises when you walk over it. That irritates the hell out of me. Also, the trim pieces, like threshold strips, are usually really cheap, even with nicer brands of flooring. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Batesmotel said:

Very similar to a bedroom I had in Summerville Tennessee. Just need to add a tiny window. I only slept there so it wasn’t too bad.

With that ceiling fan, you wouldn’t want to get up on the wrong side of the bed. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, janice6 said:

We lived in a house that had been built around the turn of the twentieth century, when I was very young. I loved that old house. Anyway, all the floors were original hardwood that had been face-nailed. Downstairs, the nail heads were still below flush. Upstairs, there were areas where the nail heads were just above flush. I snagged and ruined many a pair of socks on those damned things. My dad told me back then that the nail heads had been pushed up by the floor’s movement as the house settled. Looking back, I think it is more likely that generations of expansion and contraction of the boards due to humidity changes was probably the culprit.

That old house is in Tulsa, OK, on 16th St and Utica. It is still there, but it has been turned into some sort of office. Sadly, they removed the original entrance and the screened in porch that covered the whole end of the house.

At some point, I think a plumber must have lived there. When we lived there, there was one of the coolest jungle gyms I have ever seen, in the back yard. It was built entirely out of black iron pipe, with threaded unions on every joint. I spent many hours playing on that thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators

I found the house on Google Street View. It used to have a huge screened-in porch on the right end of the house. There were columns on massive brick bases that held up the roof over it. There was a stone wall that surrounded that grade around the end of the house. There was a large brick base on each side of the walk leading up to the porch, with a large concrete lion on top of each base.

That entryway on the side of the house didn’t exist back then. The two windows above that entryway was my bedroom. There was a large standalone three-car garage with a small office room at the end set back from the road at the other end of the house. The jungle gym was beside it. There were several more large trees on the property back then as well. 

IMG_0628.jpeg

• Thanks 1