Happy Birthday, Barbed Wire

Eric

1 hour ago, Eric said:

On this day in 1874, Joseph Farwell Glidden received a patent for the first commercially successful type of barbed wire.

apisckbw8__25744.jpg

barbed-wire-history-th-century-fenced-west-90006178.webp

ziwmf122fc531.jpg

WOW More than I, or anyone needed to know about    Barbed Wire !!    tnx Eric  :worthy:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eric said:

I learned more than I needed to know about (Concertina Wire, at least), in the Army. I trashed a lot of BDUs on that stuff. 

Yeah, I remember crawling under LIVE  FIRE along a course with barbed wire over it     Ft Dix 1956     (Oh and DO NO CRAWL INTO THE DEMO PITS )

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, DAKA said:

Yeah, I remember crawling under LIVE  FIRE along a course with barbed wire over it     Ft Dix 1956     (Oh and DO NO CRAWL INTO THE DEMO PITS )

Oh, yeah?

I once splashed coffee on my spotless white shoes.

Great Lakes Naval Training Center -- 1970.

:noooo:

:wiggle:

• Haha 4

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

Watched a tank tangle a bunch of that crap into the tracks and bogey wheels. One more reason to stay infantry instead of going armor. 

That and the Infantry spends a lot of their time these days training to blow up tanks, when they aren't busy blowing up tanks.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, ChuteTheMall said:

What do you mean "our prairies?"

Don't you repect the private property rights of the homesteaders who live there?

:Alex:

Weren't the homesteaders the ones who wanted barbed wire? 

Very important piece of history. Too bad no one has thought of a way to pay tribute to barbed wire through art, or body modifications. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, gwalchmai said:

Weren't the homesteaders the ones who wanted barbed wire? 

Very important piece of history. Too bad no one has thought of a way to pay tribute to barbed wire through art, or body modifications. 

Plenty of barbed wire tatoos

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I recall correctly, the federal government required that territories asking for statehood cede land to the feds as part of the deal.

:miff:

Texas did not.

:cowboy2:

edit:  correction.

If you look at the size of the Republic of Texas compared to the state, it is obvious that Texas gave up a lot of land in 1845.  :sigh:

But, not directly to the federal government.

A reminder, do not get your Republic into substantial debt.  It doesn't end well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nearly al of the United States and Canada were taken by gunpoint, even the places like the Louisiana Purchase and Alaska that  we bought.

Remember that whole Revolutionary War thing?

The British didn't exactly gift wrap the colonies and hand them over  with a smile and  a card from George III.

Ask the indigenous folk living within the Louisiana Purchase and Alaska if guns were pointed at them.

A goodly number of  citizens of the Republic of Texas were tejanos, Mexicans that didn't care to be subjects of a dictatorship any more than the Texans did.

Defeated general?

I assume that you mean Santa Anna, who was the elected president of Mexico.

Even though the next government of Mexico repudiated it, Santa Anna signed the Treaty of Velasco.

If he wasn't authorized to surrender, who the Hell was?

If we're such bad people in Texas, don't come here.

We won't miss you.

• Like 2