Finally, a shroom...

Mrs.Cicero

Do you know what kind of mushroom that is?  I DO NOT.  But it looks like a cross between a loofah sponge and a pine cone.

We've got turkey tail fungus growing out of our birch tree.  I take it to mean the tree is not healthy as this stuff really seems to have hold on the tree and I can't get rid of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, minervadoe said:

Do you know what kind of mushroom that is?  I DO NOT.  But it looks like a cross between a loofah sponge and a pine cone.

We've got turkey tail fungus growing out of our birch tree.  I take it to mean the tree is not healthy as this stuff really seems to have hold on the tree and I can't get rid of it.

It's a morel.  They are the BEST kind of mushroom there is.  They come up every year during spring turkey season.  And particularly good when used to make the Turkey Piccata with Morel Mushrooms recipe.  But I need more shrooms for that.  And husband has to get out and shoot a wild turkey for me.

Turkey tail shrooms are edible.  But I haven't seen any here...

• Like 4

Around here, people are gaga over sheep's head shroom.

They train beagles to find them. People bring them to the bars, to bask in the jealousy of peers.

One guy once came in with one as big as a garbage can. Awesomeness ensued.
  • Like 1

I was once, I don't know, West Virginia boondocks (?), and driving through the hills, I kept seeing "No Singing" signs, nailed to the trees.

I made some joke, where I was working, "Can I sing here?"

I learned that ginseng grew wild around there, and was a big money-maker for the hillbillies.

All the stupid tourists would trample the forests, wantonly digging them up.

The Deliverance boys don't play. Leave the sing alone.

5 hours ago, DAKA said:

You'd better be damn sure about eating wild mushrooms

I just eat the puffballs and the morels that grow here, because they can’t be mistaken for anything else- there is a false morel, but the difference is obvious when you cut it in half and look inside.   There a couple others I would try if I ever found them growing, because they don’t have poisonous look-alikes, but I never see them at all or only when they are past their prime and buggy.  Yuck.

On 5/17/2023 at 7:40 PM, Mrs.Cicero said:

Not where I ever look... growing in a mess of pine needles (instead of near the dead ash trees, where everyone tells me I should expect them).  

IMG_4438.jpeg

The one thing that I really miss about moving to Texas.

I need to go back north one spring just to hunt morels.

• Like 1

Never saw a puffball or a Morel in the wild.

I have seen Morels in the grocery store, when we lived in a place with more than a Walmart produce section. I never sold them, and ran a rather large produce department at one time. 

I hear the puffballs are an acquired taste, or maybe someone needs to acquire the ability to prepare them properly.

Good find.

9 hours ago, LostinTexas said:

Never saw a puffball or a Morel in the wild.

I have seen Morels in the grocery store, when we lived in a place with more than a Walmart produce section. I never sold them, and ran a rather large produce department at one time. 

I hear the puffballs are an acquired taste, or maybe someone needs to acquire the ability to prepare them properly.

Good find.

Puffballs taste boring.  They are just good for absorbing the taste of whatever you cook them with.  Pretty much a flavor transfer device.  Morels   On the other hand, actually taste delicious in a weird shroomy way…

• Like 1

On 5/18/2023 at 11:39 AM, Peng said:

That's one of the bigger Morels I've ever seen.

I spent lots of time in the woods near Cadillac looking for those buggers.

Big Morel, or small hand. 

Without a dollar bill for reference...................................

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

... in a weird shroomy way…

I just got the picture in my feeble little mind of Mrs. Cicero, dressed in faded bell bottoms and a fringed vast, straight hair parted in the center, headband, sitting cross-legged by a fire, eyes wide open, murmuring, Far out!  Far out! as she experiences weird shroomy.

Oh, and there's a guy, dressed the same, trying to play Bob Dylan songs on a guitar across from her.

:biggrin:

<--- wasn't at Woodstock

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tous said:

I just got the picture in my feeble little mind of Mrs. Cicero, dressed in faded bell bottoms and a fringed vast, straight hair parted in the center, headband, sitting cross-legged by a fire, eyes wide open, murmuring, Far out!  Far out! as she experiences weird shroomy.

Oh, and there's a guy, dressed the same, trying to play Bob Dylan songs on a guitar across from her.

:biggrin:

<--- wasn't at Woodstock

That made me laugh out loud cause I recovered from my serious hippie phase a few decades back… but there’s still a pair of heavily embroidered bell bottom jeans stashed in a closet close by, if my daughter hasn’t stolen them again… 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

That made me laugh out loud cause I recovered from my serious hippie phase a few decades back… but there’s still a pair of heavily embroidered bell bottom jeans stashed in a closet close by, if my daughter hasn’t stolen them again… 

Made me laugh too, but now I've got that gawd awful Dylan Tamborine Man stuck in my head!:shoot-me:

• Haha 3