Need Win 10 upgrade

Rellik

• Administrators
17 minutes ago, Rellik said:

My old PC is still using win 8.  How do I upgrade, or just go buy it at Best Buy and go from there?

I believe Microsoft stopped selling new licenses for Windows 10 in January. There are some third-party routes to buy a Win 10 license, but be careful who you choose. Some of the companies selling those licenses are shady as hell and you might get burned. You can still download it and install it without a license though, I believe. When you run it unactivated, things like the ability to customize the desktop background and extraneous crap like that is locked, but the core functions still work.

Here is a download link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• Like 1

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

'Cause you can never have too many USB ports.   Does it shred too??  LOL

That depends on where you stick your finger, I guess. :supergrin: I can tell you that it is a beast and an outstanding bit of engineering. Since the new Mac Pros were released, the price of these cylindrical powerhouses has been dropping steadily. They can be had used now for very reasonable money and they are a hell of a lot of bang for the buck. I paid less than $500 for an 8-core, 64gb ram, 1tb SSD unit, that was made in the last few months of their production. It is a real bargain.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 9:17 PM, Rellik said:

My old PC is still using win 8.  How do I upgrade, or just go buy it at Best Buy and go from there?

Don't think your machine will accept a win 10 upgrade, better off going back to win 7 which is much more stable than win 8.  Might be time to look for a new computer.

8 may not upgrade. 8.1 might, as long as the machine is capable. Going to 10 now is kinda after the nick of time. I like 10 and 11, but 10 was easier to find things. They work much the same, and I don't use any of the "upgrades" for the OS, but too late to return to 10.

In reality your machine may not handle the new OS very well. Probably best to start from scratch, since 10 was supposed to be the end all. LOL It does take some extra RAM and processer speed to work it's best. Those used now didn't exist, at least in current form, when 8.1 came out.