USS Texas Under Way

Eric

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Administrators

This book was too much of a leap for me to enjoy, but my father loved it.

"It was 1994, but Gwillam Forte was an entrepreneur of the old school. Twenty-three disabled Veterans needed a reason to live, so he gave them a rusty hulk - the battleship U.S.S. Texas - and unlimited funds to make her beautiful and seaworthy in time for Independence Day, 2000.

But the world changed quickly and for the worse. By 1998, the Texas and her supermodern weapons were needed for duty far more important than guarding the National Monument in which she rode at anchor."

I believe this book is public domain now.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/644917

il_fullxfull.3742409254_qvxo.webp

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 10:27 PM, janice6 said:

Isn't wood a miraculous material.

Once upon a time,  Frederick Weyerhaeuser  owned more land than the federal government.

He didn't care about the dirt,  he just wanted the wood.  For his mills.  Back then,  it provided enough material to the world's largest industry of building ships.

cha-ching!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Huaco Kid said:

Once upon a time,  Frederick Weyerhaeuser  owned more land than the federal government.

He didn't care about the dirt,  he just wanted the wood.  For his mills.  Back then,  it provided enough material to the world's largest industry of building ships.

cha-ching!

Minnesota old growth trees were clear cut for the trans-continental Railroad.  Our lumber went to the Rocky's to be used for trestles and bridges.  We have no old growth lumber left.  The house I grew up in was built for Mr. Dam, he was a lumber baron in Minnesota in the 18 hundreds and helped cut Northern Minnesota.

8 hours ago, janice6 said:

Minnesota old growth trees were clear cut for the trans-continental Railroad.  Our lumber went to the Rocky's to be used for trestles and bridges.  We have no old growth lumber left.  The house I grew up in was built for Mr. Dam, he was a lumber baron in Minnesota in the 18 hundreds and helped cut Northern Minnesota.

Most of the Smoky Mountains National Park - certainly in Tennessee - was clear cut before it became a park. Walking around off the beaten paths one might encounter a huge stump or a rusting relic from logging days. 

• Sad 1

Just a side note. I got to witness the destruction of the last 10 inch naval shells in the US inventory. They were in California but the governor had a temper tantrum about them being stored there even though they were removed from ships in California ports. 

They shipped them to Utah by rail to be stored for years then destroyed. Wonder how many millions of dollars that cost?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Batesmotel said:

Just a side note. I got to witness the destruction of the last 10 inch naval shells in the US inventory. They were in California but the governor had a temper tantrum about them being stored there even though they were removed from ships in California ports. 

They shipped them to Utah by rail to be stored for years then destroyed. Wonder how many millions of dollars that cost?

At least most of that money was spent stateside rather than overseas. 

• Like 4

It's the government and they have unlimited funds and zero integrity.

It is not unusual for, say, the Army, to put in an order for  5,000 rucksacks with a favored contractor, made to custom specifications, when they already have 100,000 of the exact same product in warehouses around the country.

Just in case, they'll say.

The Army rents more warehouse space, kickbacks are spread amongst the usual suspects.

Oh, and a hundred DoD lawyers and outside legal firms were required to write the contract.

Everybody gets rich.

:upeyes:

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...