USS Texas Under Way

Eric

• Administrators
On 9/12/2022 at 6:09 PM, LostinTexas said:

Scientific Wild Guess,,,,,,,,,,, it was resting in that position and corroded in place. Just guessing, but salt water don't play.

This. 

They never centered the rudder after getting her into her slip in 1948.  So the rudder is stuck at about 14 degrees and there is no need to fix it. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
28 minutes ago, kerbie18 said:

She is a fat girl of a ship when you pull her out of the water. I guess that is the thickness of the armor, and probably other things I admitt I poorly understand.

The swells on her sides were added in a 1925/26 refit, for protection against torpedoes. They are called torpedo blisters, or bulges. I guess they were meant to keep the worst of the explosion from a torpedo strike away from the primary hull. I understand that those additions are the source of a lot of the vessel's leaking woes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

16” shell and barrel section…

283F2375-C2D1-4526-802F-885ED3BC8A3E.jpeg

35859457-E36C-4E7D-9669-C0C1E5A65EEA.jpeg

That's Micro-Groove, only bigger! And those lands are spectacular!

Also, consider the ratio of barrel thickness to bore. We often speak of this ratio as it concerns .45 Colt cylinders, but I wonder how these compare. Of course, I'm neglecting the relative pressures of a 16/45 en flagrante delicto...

On 10/8/2022 at 6:41 AM, gwalchmai said:

That's Micro-Groove, only bigger! And those lands are spectacular!

Also, consider the ratio of barrel thickness to bore. We often speak of this ratio as it concerns .45 Colt cylinders, but I wonder how these compare. Of course, I'm neglecting the relative pressures of a 16/45 en flagrante delicto...

Best I could tell the brass band at the bottom of the shell was the only thing which actually rode in the rifling. The bulk of the shell rode on the rifling. Read that the big German rail gun which shelled Paris from 80 miles away had the shells delivered sequentially, each slightly larger than its predecessor to allow for barrel wear.

Another section of barrel had a throat area machined larger with no rifling where the brass band rested before the gun was fired. Unfortunately I did not photograph that. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, GT4494 said:

For those that care about these things, 

The UK is calling their new class of Ballistic Missile launch submarines the "Dreadnaught" class.  They will be carrying the Trident D5 missiles.

Go figure!!

Run Silent, Run Deep - REAL deep - and dread naught

• Like 1

On 11/7/2022 at 7:52 AM, GT4494 said:

For those that care about these things, 

The UK is calling their new class of Ballistic Missile launch submarines the "Dreadnaught" class.  They will be carrying the Trident D5 missiles.

Go figure!!

That's so bizarre. HMS Dreadnaught; the Battleship that caused The Great War by being built.

It is a great name though;

image.jpg?id=31540442&width=1200&height=800&quality=90&coordinates=0%2C32%2C0%2C33

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I spent some time with her in drydock recently. I even stood (and eventually had to crouch) UNDER her!

Things are going well.  In 1988, they applied an experimental coating to the hull.  The surprising thing, is it is still elastic. No cracking, not dried out, still has some give.  That has been one of the "better than hoped" things.  

• Like 5

• 5 months later...