USS Texas Under Way

Eric

• Administrators
22 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

She heading home?

They partially floated her last week, to look for leaks. Not unexpectedly, they found some. With the state of her hull and all the work that was done, it would have been miraculous if they hadn't found any. So, they are working now to address the leaks and put the finishing touches on the repair work. She is slated to leave the dry dock some time this month. No exact date has been given. Once she leaves dry dock, she will be towed to her new home in Galveston. There is still a substantial amount of work left to do after that move though. She will not re-open to the public until late 2025. 

It doesn't look like they freed up the rudder. It is still in the same position it was when it was towed to the dry dock. Perhaps it would have been too much work to do so and she probably won't be moved again for decades.

424818244_122114828534185438_5526050848052580667_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

There is still a lot of work to do, but the old girl is back in the water. I assume they will be towing her to her new mooring in Galveston next.

77d45326-c291-466b-847b-4e0ed2c903bd_1920x1080.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

LMAO. A muzzle loader is obsolete tech, but still just as effective as it ever was, and it was VERY effective.

Yes! A big bang is and always will be a big bang!

1 hour ago, jmohme said:

Yes! A big bang is and always will be a big bang!

That is when people potted artillery. Now it is just loaded into a computer.

The fire control and gunners were VERY good. I used to watch gunners bullseye mortar fire as far as they could see. Usually by the second round, near always by the 3rd.  Good luck making it through number 2 even if they "missed".

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators
5 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

I understand she is being tested for leaks. Any idea how she is doing?

I don’t know. They partially floated her for a few hours in the drydock last month, to look for leaks. They found a few that they subsequently repaired. I don’t know if they have found any since she was removed from the drydock.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators
18 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Couple of the beeks from the Houston Beekeepers Association were busy on the USS Texas last week... (I think it's funny I get info re: the Texas from TBS... and my beekeeping buds...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/398760030516122/?hoisted_section_header_type=recently_seen&multi_permalinks=2242892422769531

So, the old dreadnought still packs a sting, huh? :greensupergrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Eric said:

So, the old dreadnought still packs a sting, huh? :greensupergrin:

Apparently two separate hives’ worth.  One of those beeks got stung 27x on his hand and wrist removing one of them (ouch!).  I just hived a swarm and got stung twice last night for my trouble (stupid to do it in the dark, I know).

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Apparently two separate hives’ worth.  One of those beers got stung 27x on his hand and wrist removing one of them (ouch!).  I just hived a swarm and got stung twice last night for my trouble (stupid to do it in the dark, I know).

d05e8afbc2cfac2ab4592a5bd5510db2.jpg