Oops!

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

My sons are very tech savvy. Not just computers but energy and industry. On one rainy Saturday we watched the entire HBO series in one sitting. They couldn’t believe the chain of events that caused the explosion.

I just said welcome to the Cold War. 

• Like 2

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

My sons are very tech savvy. Not just computers but energy and industry. On one rainy Saturday we watched the entire HBO series in one sitting. They couldn’t believe the chain of events that caused the explosion.

I just said welcome to the Cold War. 

That was a very nicely done miniseries. I’ve watched it a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a wonder that the world survived that time. Of course, we may now be in act II of the Cold War. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Eric said:

That was a very nicely done miniseries. I’ve watched it a couple of times and thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a wonder that the world survived that time. Of course, we may now be in act II of the Cold War. 

Scary times. Especially if you have a good sense of history. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Eric said:

This is the scene of one of the world's biggest oopses (to-date), three years before it occurred.

273723848_4863714953707765_49026690670224975_n.jpg

That reactor design would not be able to be built in the USA.  Way to risky right from the start.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Batesmotel said:

No salvaging that mess. 

I did once. Very slowly and carefully, had two guys help me. Still lost about a third of the weight on the roll.

Some alloys are worth a little time and effort.

Regular steel or even most stainless we would not have bothered, get another one out and be welding in three minutes.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Eric said:

US Navy photo of USS Nautilus, after a collision with aircraft carrier USS Essex, on 10 November, 1966.

429680442_845233544282262_8595395906303762625_n.jpg

Uh Oh...someone f'ed up....  bad

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Eric said:

I bet it made a hell of a noise. 

Wikipedia     During an exercise in 1966 she collided with the aircraft carrier USS Essex on 10 November, while at shallow depth.[28] Following repairs in Portsmouth she conducted exercises off the southeastern seaboard. She returned to New London in December 1968 and operated as a unit of Submarine Squadron 10 for most of the remainder of her career

• Like 2