Missouri First State To Declare That ‘Meat’ Means ‘Meat’

pipedreams

"On Tuesday, Missouri becomes the first state in the country to have a law on the books that prohibits food makers to use the word “meat” to refer to anything other than animal flesh.

This takes aim at manufacturers of what has been dubbed fake or non-traditional meat.

Clean meat — also known as lab-grown meat — is made of cultured animal tissue cells, while plant-based meat is generally from ingredients such as soy, tempeh and seitan.

The state law forbids “misrepresenting a product as meat that is not derived from harvested production livestock or poultry.” Violators may be fined $1,000 and imprisoned for a year.

A similar argument is unfolding on the federal level."

https://www.technocracy.news/missouri-first-state-to-declare-that-meat-means-meat/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/08/28/animal-meat-missouri-law/1114285002/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

What if I call my venison meat? It ain't harvested livestock. Do I get a fine? 

"prohibits food makers to use the word “meat” to refer to anything other than animal flesh."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MO Fugga said:

I love this state.

Did you love it when you had to ask the local sheriff's permission to own a pistol?

Did you love it when the feckless Jim Talent and other so-called conservatives eagerly kissed Bill Clinton's ass?

When John Danforth, John Ashcroft ad Kit Bond agreed with anything that Ted Kennedy said and voted accordingly?

As soon as the Obama Cabal locates another 500,000 foreign invaders into St. Louis and Jackson counties, Missouri will be California.

I wish I could say, Come to Texas.  We have freedom, but alas, we are lost as well.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I apologize again for being cynical.

For seventy years it was just not my nature.

I am a science and engineering guy; petty arguments, fantastic assertions and exaggerated hurt feelings are somewhat foreign and I have never consider such useful in solving a problem.

I basically ignored it all.  I experienced people acting like emotional teenaged fools during high school enough to know that I wanted no part of it.

My late wife would get angry because I didn't argue with her, I would calmly debate with logical rebuttal.  :supergrin:

Yet, here we are.

People behaving either like the narcissistic mean girls or arrogant jocks we knew so well when we were fifteen years old and couldn't wait to be shed of them.

Included are the cowards, those that will stand silently, afraid to say, Stop, That is wrong, as their fellow humans are attacked, abused, threatened, cowed and sometimes, killed.

Perhaps I will wake tomorrow with hope.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tous said:

I apologize again for being cynical.

For seventy years it was just not my nature.

I am a science and engineering guy; petty arguments, fantastic assertions and exaggerated hurt feelings are somewhat foreign and I have never consider such useful in solving a problem.

I basically ignored it all.  I experienced people acting like emotional teenaged fools during high school enough to know that I wanted no part of it.

My late wife would get angry because I didn't argue with her, I would calmly debate with logical rebuttal.  :supergrin:

Yet, here we are.

People behaving either like the narcissistic mean girls or arrogant jocks we knew so well when we were fifteen years old and couldn't wait to be shed of them.

Included are the cowards, those that will stand silently, afraid to say, Stop, That is wrong, as their fellow humans are attacked, abused, threatened, cowed and sometimes, killed.

Perhaps I will wake tomorrow with hope.

I too have become cynical.  It seems that it comes with advanced age, because we see people making the same stupid mistakes that they have made in the past and are apparently unable to learn from them.

My wife gets worried for me when I come into the room and start making rebuttals to the people on TV expounding feelings and opinions under the guise of "news". 

If a person like me can find information that contradicts their claims from multiple sources, then why do they  qualify their statements, instead of offering the other side of the argument.  They tell you what they want you to hear. Not what the facts are.

She  is right of course, because it generally results in stomach problems.  I can't abide with doing repeating stupid mistakes since even my dog learns better and quicker.

I'm up now for this very reason.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 3