I sing the praises of this product

gwalchmai

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

And I have the full compliment of Cutco knives, so that is saying a lot.

Mrs. G bought a couple of Cutco paring knives 20 years ago. They've been great and we still have them. IIRC you can send them back to the factory for free reconditioning. Of course, that would take away the fun of sharpening them... ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Mrs. G bought a couple of Cutco paring knives 20 years ago. They've been great and we still have them. IIRC you can send them back to the factory for free reconditioning. Of course, that would take away the fun of sharpening them... ;)

My sister-in-law used to sell Cutco knives. We got the full set 20 years ago. Besides losing a few, they work great. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

My brother just gave me a pile of Cutco a couple weeks ago. Rather than mail it home, I sent it in for refurbishing. Cutco has done their thing and my new knives will be waiting for me when I get home. I have way more than one of everything. Bought my first Cutco in the 70's and have added to it several times. Pawn shops, garage sales, marketplace. Pennies on the dollar. Send it in, comes back either replaced or just like new.

• Like 2

I love carbon steel knives.

I would suggest putting a patina on it (without one I don't seem to be able to avoid rust), use mineral oil at first. Wash, dry, oil. If you put a fine piece like this in the dishwasher, you get what you deserve.

We have a set of Ronco Showtime knives. Don't laugh, it took LostWife a long time to stop bleeding on the produce. She finally figured out what cutting boards are for. ? These have seen daily use every day, for over two decades, and one would be hard pressed to tell they weren't new. We have a few oddball knives along side these, but none get the use.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

092de8df-7a50-4e18-aa84-1814f882465f_1.e6b5462e8f77c00cf4d30c929248b4fe.jpeg?odnWidth=undefined&odnHeight=undefined&odnBg=ffffff

High carbon steel takes an edge like a razor.

Economical (~$15) so you won't cry when someone steals it, which they will if they're smart.

Stains easily so your more uppity visitors won't steal it...

Made in Murca!

We pulled exactly the same make and model out of some unlucky blokes forehead. It had gone right between the hemispheres and he didn’t have any lasting damage. It was a hell of a fight to get it out though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, NPTim said:

We pulled exactly the same make and model out of some unlucky blokes forehead. It had gone right between the hemispheres and he didn’t have any lasting damage. It was a hell of a fight to get it out though.

Some guys have all the luck.

• Haha 3

I don't know what discussion proceeded that event... but I think he got the point.

Sent from my Jackboot using Copatalk

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, NPTim said:

So what happened to the knife....did you return it to him?  ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NPTim said:

Good testimonial to the knife! Did it sever his corpus callosum? 

23 hours ago, NPTim said:

so you own one now too?

• Haha 1

The OP's knife looks interesting.  I may toss one in the cart on the next Amazon order.

As for Cutco, no thanks.  I bought a set of steak knives from the teen son of friends, who was trying to make some money. Really didn't need new ones, but we felt like we needed to buy something to help him out.

Weird handles, stubby blades. I used them for a couple weeks and then shoved then in the back of the drawer where they still sit 10 years later.  I went back to our cheapy Revere Ware knife set from the 90s, which was still working fine then and remains serviceable to this day.

He resisted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk