PC to iPhone question

gwalchmai

I have a little spreadsheet on which I keep a list of my medications and doctors' contact info, because every time I go to a doctor they want a list of all my meds. Actually, they ask me to bring in all the bottles, but that ain't gonna happen. The problem is that I'm most comfortable keeping this in a spreadsheet on my laptop, but I need to have it on my phone to take to appointments. The best I've figured out is to keep it in an Libre Office Calc sheet on my laptop and then export a PDF copy to a folder that syncs to MEGA, which I can access with my phone. Google sheets may be better but I don't care for their interface.

Any better ideas? It's just a single sheet so not big at all. Just needs to stay synced.

Or buy a Synology NAS server, hook up to your home network, put all your data on it, install the DS file app on your phone and access all your data from anywhere...

Screenshot_20210418-163431_DS file.png

A simple 2 bay NAS will do for most like the DiskStation DS220j for 170 bucks plus 2 drives.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1551924-REG/synology_2_bay_nas_diskstation_ds220j.html

image.jpeg.92f80a096808b34806e50de232cb416a.jpeg

Get server grade drives with 7200 rpm speed. They should be installed in a raid 1 config so if one fails, the other has a 100% copy. 2 x 4 GB drives will only add some 200 bucks or so.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1345906-REG/seagate_st4000vna08_ironwolf_4tb_3_5_internal.html

I got 3 NAS server sitting in my house, with one being inside a 90 min fire rated gun safe that makes a copy of the other 2 NAS every night.

This rack holds my 2 large NAS.

unknown.png?width=995&height=1324

Edited by crockett
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

You can email the spread sheet to yourself too. If you have an app to open it, this is good, so is the picture.

Sorry, can't help with Iphone problems specifically.

That was my original plan, but I don't know if I can open .XLS files (or even better .ODS files) on the phone. Will look into that. DropBox et al will work for storage, but I like MEGA, even thought there's nothing really confidential about this stuff. 

33 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

That was my original plan, but I don't know if I can open .XLS files (or even better .ODS files) on the phone. Will look into that. DropBox et al will work for storage, but I like MEGA, even thought there's nothing really confidential about this stuff. 

There are several good enough word/doc apps. Office Alternatives. Google Office sucks. WPS is pretty good, but has come and go hinky runs, and gets kind of busy. I've been using SoftMaker Office and been pretty happy. It even uses MS commands. This should work well for your purpose here, if it works. It does claim to be MAC friendly, if that means anything.

I can't say if any will work on an Iphone or anything else I, but we do what we can.

Good Luck

Edited by LostinTexas
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, LostinTexas said:

There are several good enough word/doc apps. Office Alternatives. Google Office sucks. WPS is pretty good, but has come and go hinky runs, and gets kind of busy. I've been using SoftMaker Office and been pretty happy. It even uses MS commands. This should work well for your purpose here, if it works. It does claim to be MAC friendly, if that means anything.

I can't say if any will work on an Iphone or anything else I, but we do what we can.

Good Luck

I switched to LibreOffice some time ago, and there looks to be an app version for IOS and Android, so I'll try that. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

Go to the App Store and download Numbers. 

Numbers is Apples spreadsheet and it will read and write to XLS files.

• Thanks 1

I just go into notepad on my compiuter and write out all my moms medicine the exact name on the bottle and how many she takes a day and print it out and she puts it in her purse and she takes that too the doc and they just copy it and giveit back to her. If something changes i just go into the the saved prescription file and alter it and re print it and she is good to go. No offense meant at all but are you over thinking this? Maybe you take a whole lot of pills a day a different times maybe? I dont know. Just dont want to offend you. Good luck and maybe some of these simpler ways will help help you. 

4 hours ago, Hook said:

I just go into notepad on my compiuter and write out all my moms medicine the exact name on the bottle and how many she takes a day and print it out and she puts it in her purse and she takes that too the doc and they just copy it and giveit back to her. If something changes i just go into the the saved prescription file and alter it and re print it and she is good to go. No offense meant at all but are you over thinking this? Maybe you take a whole lot of pills a day a different times maybe? I dont know. Just dont want to offend you. Good luck and maybe some of these simpler ways will help help you. 

No offense taken. I do take several pills. Worse, I have several docs writing scripts so I want to make sure they all know what the others are doing. HIPAA was going to make everyone's records transparent and portable, but somehow it's had the opposite effect (par for the course for a government program). Docs have separate, disconnected databases which don't communicate, and it ultimately falls to the patients to stay on top of this sort of thing. My goal is to have all the info in one dB which I control and can access from whichever device I'm using. That's coming together nicely thanks to great suggestions I've gotten here (times like this I really miss Mel :( )

Overthinking? Yeah, but that's what 30 years in IT will do to you. :supergrin:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hook said:

Well i sure hope you figure out what works best for you. I am pretty useless in the tech world. Good luck G. You obviously know more about this tech stuff than me. 

I'm retired, so most of my knowledge is outdated. I look at a technical problem and think "This is how it should work", but it doesn't. Sometimes I have to ask my son, the bartender. Yesterday I removed an old email account (which I hadn't used in over a year) from my phone and all my contacts disappeared. I naively assumed my contacts would be with my new email account, but not so. 

Soon, I am going to retire my Verizon iPhone and move to my wife's T-Mobile account, and get an Android phone. It'll be a little painful but I look forward to leaving Apple entirely. I keep putting it off because I'm lazy. 

• Like 1

I use a single pharmacy for all Rx - something I’ve done for years. Once upon a time it was said the pharmacist was the patient’s last defense against dangerously mismatched Rx from several doctors. Is that still true?

Also once upon a time my pharmacy made available for download an annual purchase history useful for preparing the medical expenses portion of USA IRS Form 1040. This was also useful for preparing the latest Rx list. The feature seems to have disappeared. 

46 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

I use a single pharmacy for all Rx - something I’ve done for years. Once upon a time it was said the pharmacist was the patient’s last defense against dangerously mismatched Rx from several doctors. Is that still true?

Also once upon a time my pharmacy made available for download an annual purchase history useful for preparing the medical expenses portion of USA IRS Form 1040. This was also useful for preparing the latest Rx list. The feature seems to have disappeared. 

I'm lucky in that my doctors are careful to coordinate anything they prescribe with what the others prescribe. That's why I take responsibility for keeping this list accurate and review it with each doc at each visit.

I use Humana Online pharmacy and Publix local. Each provides an annual list.