Pearl Harbor Day ~ 12-07-1941

pipedreams

Been to the memorial many times.  First time I went it was sorta disappointing.  Had my almost 2 year old daughter with us and they said she was too young to go on the memorial.  We didn't get to go that year.  I understood though.  It is such hallowed ground ya can't have the possibility of a screaming rug rat raising all sorts of havoc.   Made it back a few years later and...it it truly humbling... 

I never forget Dec. 7th.  

• Like 2

The Arizona

The old man drops a flower to his buddy down below
The sacred oily water
Brushes off a tear, if they could only know.

With knotted throat he feels the loss of decades past anew
He's a lucky one, survivor of the crew

They didn't want to go that way, so fine and young to die
Virgins to the grave
Fighting for your life, without a question why

However can this man be thanked for cushy lives we know
I heard the spirits say when I stood above the tomb
Walk tall in your colors son, we gave it all for you

Some died for the liberty others take lightly
Most of us won't pay the bill to run free
Above Arizona I trembled with honor
They gave without asking, for you and for me

Steve Roberts 6/16/1998

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

NH 92310 Commander Cassin Young, USN

Captain Cassin Young, USN, (1894-1942)

Cassin Young was born in Washington, D.C., on 6 March 1894. After graduation from the U.S. Naval Academy in June 1916, he served in the battleship Connecticut into 1919, then spent several years in submarines. During that period, he commanded the submarines R-23 and R-2. During the middle and later 1920s, he served in Naval Communications, on the staff of Commander Submarine Divisions, Battle Fleet, and at the Naval Academy.

During 1931-33, Lieutenant Commander Young served in the battleship New York. He was subsequently Commanding Officer of the destroyer Evans and was assigned to the Eleventh Naval District in 1935-37. After promotion to the rank of Commander, he commanded Submarine Division Seven and had duty at the Submarine Base New London, Groton, Connecticut. When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941, he was Commanding Officer of the repair ship Vestal, which was badly damaged by enemy bombs and the explosion of the battleship Arizona. For his "distinguished conduct in action" and "outstanding heroism" on that occasion, he was awarded the Medal of Honor.

Promoted to Captain in February 1942, he later was given command of the heavy cruiser San Francisco. On 13 November 1942, during the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal, he guided his ship in action with a superior Japanese force and was killed by enemy shells while closely engaging the battleship Hiei. Captain Young posthumously was awarded the Navy Cross for his actions during the Guadalcanal Campaign, and San Francisco received the Presidential Unit Citation.

The destroyer USS Cassin Young (DD-793), 1943-1981, was named in honor of Captain Young.

cy.jpeg.e1a72194c957e4d479b0eb2074d5ead9.jpeg

May God Bless them All.

• Like 1

Most historians also regard December 7, 1941 as the last day of the Great Depression. After that day, everyone had a job... in uniform, in the factories, or on the farms.

Unlike the Global War on Terror (GWOT) of contemporary times, WWII touched every American's life. Virtually everyone was affected in some way. There's much to admire about the way our parents and grandparents put aside their dreams and aspirations to band together to win the war.

On the other hand, I am not confident that our nation is capable of the same response today. Too much individual entitlement... all about "me", "my dreams", "my future". 

My $.02.

Edited by TXUSMC
error correction
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

Hawaii was a US territory in 1941. Like Alaska.

True, but the nature as how the queen was deposed and the puppet government was set up in 1893 still brings into question who really was the sovereign owner of the Hawaiian islands. 

The U.S. formally apologized for its actions in 1993.

1 hour ago, GT4494 said:

True, but the nature as how the queen was deposed and the puppet government was set up in 1893 still brings into question who really was the sovereign owner of the Hawaiian islands. 

The U.S. formally apologized for its actions in 1993.

It's always the Democrats apologizing or giving away something, Clinton in this case and Carter the canal.  The list can go on,  Obama planed to give the Guantanamo Navy Base back to Cuba.

• Sad 1