Neighbor warming up his vehicle at 1 degree

I wish I had a camera and the internet was around years ago.

My buddy had an old early 1970-ish Ford F-250.   The heater core had crapped out so he just jumpered it with some rubber hose and hose clamps.   He only used it around his land as it was way past being able to get a sticker on it.

To defrost the windshield on cold days, he had pop-riveted a couple other hose clamps to the dashboard that could hold Sterno cans. 

We took it ice fishing going down his back road to Tunk Lake.    All was good until the ride back when we were freezing and didn't take the time needed to defrost the windshield and then put the Sterno out.   We hit a pretty good bump and one Sterno can popped out it's holder and landed on his lap.  Ruined his Carhartts, and I almost peed in mine laughing as he jumped out and did the Stop, Drop and Roll deal in the middle of a slush puddle. 

Warming up a vehicle is a really nice thing to do, and can make it safer sometimes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, FullClip said:

I wish I had a camera and the internet was around years ago.

My buddy had an old early 1970-ish Ford F-250.   The heater core had crapped out so he just jumpered it with some rubber hose and hose clamps.   He only used it around his land as it was way past being able to get a sticker on it.

To defrost the windshield on cold days, he had pop-riveted a couple other hose clamps to the dashboard that could hold Sterno cans. 

We took it ice fishing going down his back road to Tunk Lake.    All was good until the ride back when we were freezing and didn't take the time needed to defrost the windshield and then put the Sterno out.   We hit a pretty good bump and one Sterno can popped out it's holder and landed on his lap.  Ruined his Carhartts, and I almost peed in mine laughing as he jumped out and did the Stop, Drop and Roll deal in the middle of a slush puddle. 

Warming up a vehicle is a really nice thing to do, and can make it safer sometimes. 

I was caught on fire while welding inside a friends unheated shop many winters ago. Wearing some frayed Carhart insulated overalls with a down vest and other layers underneath. I was welding with 6010 rod. There was a ton of stuff around that could potentially catch of fire, so I asked him to 'fire watch' which it appeared he was doing. So I am bent over a snow plow frame with the hood down burning rod like there was no tomorrow. It was getting smokey. Then even worse. Soon I could not see at all what I was doing. Broke the arc, stood up and flipped the hood. I was ON FIRE. The carharts had caught and my chest was aflame. I was beating out the flames, and feathers from the down vest which had burned through filled the air, as did my swear words. My buddy turned around to see what all the commotion was. He had failed to maintain fire watch obviously. He was laughing hysterically. He still likes to bring it up. Me yelling and beating at the flames on my chest with feathers filling the air along with a copious amount of swear words, some that he had never heard before since he hadn't participated in the logging industry as I had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

I was caught on fire while welding inside a friends unheated shop many winters ago. Wearing some frayed Carhart insulated overalls with a down vest and other layers underneath. I was welding with 6010 rod. There was a ton of stuff around that could potentially catch of fire, so I asked him to 'fire watch' which it appeared he was doing. So I am bent over a snow plow frame with the hood down burning rod like there was no tomorrow. It was getting smokey. Then even worse. Soon I could not see at all what I was doing. Broke the arc, stood up and flipped the hood. I was ON FIRE. The carharts had caught and my chest was aflame. I was beating out the flames, and feathers from the down vest which had burned through filled the air, as did my swear words. My buddy turned around to see what all the commotion was. He had failed to maintain fire watch obviously. He was laughing hysterically. He still likes to bring it up. Me yelling and beating at the flames on my chest with feathers filling the air along with a copious amount of swear words, some that he had never heard before since he hadn't participated in the logging industry as I had.

Ha-Ha....nothing like being on fire to make a buddy laugh.  Always good fun if you can walk away from it without a trip to the emergency room and the wives don't find out about it. 

Edit to add....I am the reason they call it "stick welding"...really bad at it, but know enough that 6010 is called "splatter rod" for a reason.  

Edited by FullClip
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, FullClip said:

Ha-Ha....nothing like being on fire to make a buddy laugh.  Always good fun if you can walk away from it without a trip to the emergency room and the wives don't find out about it. 

Edit to add....I am the reason they call it "stick welding"...really bad at it, but know enough that 6010 is called "splatter rod" for a reason.  

Burnt a plate size hole in the carharts, melted the vest, burnt a hole through a brand new camo chamois shirt, and partially melted my insulated long john top. Got a small burn on my chest the size of a nickel.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fog said:

I've lit myself on fire welding, grinding and gas cutting, guess I need to do it with the plasma cutter now to get a grand slam.:abovelol:

The plasma cutters are fun.  But never misunderestimate how much you can dance just using a hot glue gun when wearing shorts fishing a fish rod tip. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Walt Longmire said:

Burnt a plate size hole in the carharts, melted the vest, burnt a hole through a brand new camo chamois shirt, and partially melted my insulated long john top. Got a small burn on my chest the size of a nickel.

The only record of the fun in your life is in your scars!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, janice6 said:

The only record of the fun in your life is in your scars!

Don't forget the burnt clothing, and the fact that my buddy occasionally brings it up while making no attempt to control his laughter to this day. O.K. the burnt clothing is long gone. But the memory still haunts me. The down vest was brand new. Stan still reminds of  the air filled with little feathers....and cuss words, mostly directed at him. I did get a nice weld on the plow frame though.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, FullClip said:

I had a friend in high school that had a VW bug,  with all the heater ducts long since removed.  (he had a sleeping bag for every passenger).  It wasn't uncommon for the front passenger to have to lean over with a constantly lit BIC lighter on the windshield,  so the driver could have a peep-hole to see out.

• Like 1

I have an all original Stihl chainsaw that my father bought nearly 40 years ago. It still runs like new. Better than new actually. The last few new ones I've dealt with were terribly finicky with the EPA friendly parts on them. For the first 27 years of my life, that saw provided firewood for our wood stove every winter. Anywho, I used to work with a guy who would fire up the chainsaws we cut logs with, stone cold, and hold them wide open for 2-3 minutes every time. He was complaining that the saw shop kept telling them they needed to rebuild the engines on the saws every few years. He wasn't the brightest crayon in the box.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, jfost11 said:

I have an all original Stihl chainsaw that my father bought nearly 40 years ago. It still runs like new. Better than new actually. The last few new ones I've dealt with were terribly finicky with the EPA friendly parts on them. For the first 27 years of my life, that saw provided firewood for our wood stove every winter. Anywho, I used to work with a guy who would fire up the chainsaws we cut logs with, stone cold, and hold them wide open for 2-3 minutes every time. He was complaining that the saw shop kept telling them they needed to rebuild the engines on the saws every few years. He wasn't the brightest crayon in the box.

You just give them a couple vrooom, vroooms, and they lay them into the wood.

• Like 2

i had to put a guy out one time when he caught the shop rag in his front pocket on fire trying to weld an exhaust into his own Truck.

Shop rags are Notorious fire starters and uniform pants have an unpleasant amount of polyester in them, don't know which hurt more the fire or all of us laughing and offering to stomp it out.

took a few extra seconds with the hose to make sure he was completely out.

i do admit that i lit my arm on fire with a Propane torch Soldering a pipe in my old basement by putting the Torch down and then reaching directly in front of it..

• Like 2