Pets

Eric

• Administrators

I was just thinking about a cat we used to have and it got me thinking of all the pets I and my family have had. There were so many. I loved each of them and grieved when they passed and then fell in love again. They have all been such a important part of my life.

How many pets have you and your family had? What types of critters were they? Do you catch yourself remembering them now and again (especially the really old ones)?

There were so many cool personalities among them and so many funny, endearing mannerisms. We had a dog that liked to crap on top of small shrubs. I swear, that dog would stand on the tips of its claws to get high enough to unload. We had a dog that bared its teeth and smiled like a people. That was a special one. We had a pair of brother cats that were part racoon. They were a couple of little thieves. They stold things all over the house: Socks, wash rags, small toys, you name it. We didn't know where it was all going for months. Then one day, my mother pulled out the couch to clean behind it and their was a pile of loot that filled that narrow space, almost to the top of the couch.

We had feet lickers, recyclers, leg hounds, beggars, barkers, diggers and even a female shepherd that was absolutely convinced that our pet hamster was her baby. We used to put the hamster in his ball on the floor and that dog would kick ass on the cats to keep them away. It would curl itself up around the hamster ball to protect it, while she slept. They hamster didn't like that much. I didn't realize how much she loved that thing until one day I was walking through the living room and the empty hamster ball was on the floor. Without thinking much about it, I kicked the empty ball over the couch, as I passed it. Behind me I heard an anguished yelp and then the dog flew past me over the couch. She looked everywhere whining, trying to find that damned hamster. I finally got it out of its cage to show her, to calm her down. She licked it so hard, I thought she was going to skin it.

A lot of great memories. There have been some sad ones mixed in too of course, but the good outways the bad so much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Growing up on farm I've pets from pigs  to chincillas.  It would take 3 pages to name. All.  I will say we have a pet cemetarary at least an acre. 100 years from now whoever owns this farmstead and starts digging will prolly call fbi 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Grew up on a farm also so I always had pets from A to Z.   In 4-H I had mt heifers I showed at the fair.  Used to wash them in Murphy's Oil soap to make their coats shine.  Training them to stand perfect for show, I remember that.  Many dogs since I can remember.  I remember catching the newborn barn kittens and cleaning their cloudy eyes with a dilute boric acid solution to clear the eyes up. Horses also, we had one trained as a cattle cutter.

As for dogs, I remember them all.  We had farm dogs growing up.  Most of the time they were outside except in the cold winter when they were in the basement. 

Mom had birds,  mostly parakeets but she had a cockatiel that could talk  I did teach it a few bad words.... The cockatiel knew my dad's truck and would start chattering when his truck pulled in the driveway after work.  Always knew when dad was home from work.

One summer a baby robin fell out of it's nest and my mom rescued it and raised it until fall when it was time to go south for the winter, when we set it free.  I had a distinctive call we could recognize and it returned back home every spring when it came back for the summer.  I remember the year the robin did not come back.  We all kinda missed it.

So yes, I have had many various pets and remember them all.  Till the day I die pets will be in my life.....  Dave...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We always had pets when I was a kid.  Some are just distant memories.  Some are engraved on my heart.  Sam the Siamese cat, my father got in the divorce and took away.  He lived for 20 years. Prince, the wild Carolina Dog that my step father found abandoned as a pup and I raised.  He was a true alpha dog. No one would dare to raise a hand against me if he was around. I saw him get hit by a car. He was knocked down and the car stopped.  He got up and shook himself off and bit the car tire. Then he limped over to where I was crying and licked the tears from my face. Later on we had to move when my step father got a new job and couldn't take him.  We left him with my grandfather and he returned to the wild.

I had no pets for 20 years while I was in the navy.  When I retired I adopted a retired racing greyhound.  Wink was the most mellow dog I ever had.  A real couch potato. But he liked to run. He had a path around the fence line in the back yard. He was my best friend for 9 years. I cried like a baby when he passed.

A month later I adopted another retired racing greyhound, hoping for another Wink.  What I got was Fernando, an exuberant ball of energy. Before I Nando proofed my house he destroyed 2 dog beds, the comforter on my bed and my jacket, carried the contents of the kitchen trashcan to my bedroom several times, got into the kitchen cabinet and ate a bag of dried egg noodles, took a bag of flour into the living room and ripped it open and took a bag of powdered sugar onto my bedroom and shook it like a chew toy until it exploded.  He's getting old now and sleeps most of the time.  I've had for 9 years now and I dread the future. He's 12.5 years old now, and that's about the life expectancy of a greyhound.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, aomagrat said:

I had no pets for 20 years while I was in the navy.  When I retired I adopted a retired racing greyhound.  Wink was the most mellow dog I ever had.  A real couch potato. But he liked to run. He had a path around the fence line in the back yard. He was my best friend for 9 years. I cried like a baby when he passed.

A month later I adopted another retired racing greyhound, hoping for another Wink.  What I got was Fernando, an exuberant ball of energy. Before I Nando proofed my house he destroyed 2 dog beds, the comforter on my bed and my jacket, carried the contents of the kitchen trashcan to my bedroom several times, got into the kitchen cabinet and ate a bag of dried egg noodles, took a bag of flour into the living room and ripped it open and took a bag of powdered sugar onto my bedroom and shook it like a chew toy until it exploded.  He's getting old now and sleeps most of the time.  I've had for 9 years now and I dread the future. He's 12.5 years old now, and that's about the life expectancy of a greyhound.

I hear ya man...I had to take a Break after my Boy passed away a few years back.  Bout Wrecked me.  Still does sometimes.  I was Raised with Boston Terriers all my life.  Had a Great Doberman, and a Wire Haired Pointing Griffon when I was into Bird huntin up in Ill.  But...always went back to Bostons.  This is my Boy Daz...Never another one like him, really miss him...

image.png.00d8e3126b9b1162d8c9296e67873cd4.png

And here's my "Grand Dog"...A "Ms."

Ms. Bella...she's a complete HOOT!!

Bella.jpg

Edited by Swampfox762
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We haven't had many dogs in our lifetime.  When I was little we had a Cocker Springer that had one pup.  We kept both till each passed.

My family has had three so far.  One miniature Poodle that was smart as a whip, but passive as they come.  He lived for around 14 years.

Then we got our first Yorkie.  He lived to be 18 years old.

Then we got our second Yorkie (my former avatar)  he stayed with me for just about 20 years, missed it by days.

I loved them all.  When they passed it was like another piece of my heart was torn out.

I am still not over my last Yorkie.  I had a special relationship with him.  I would sit with him in my arms from around midnight to 2 AM for many years.  We would talk to each other about our hope and fears.  People laugh when I say that he was the best confidant I ever had, he never said a word about me to anyone else.

When I was particularly worried he would look at me during our talk and give me one lick on the cheek.  I really miss his presence.  I don't know which needed the other more.

For a long time in my life, it was really hard I contemplated losing everything I held dear to me.  That dog made up for everything. 

I love to sing and late at night I would sing a special song to him, "Oh It's Crying Time Again".  I knew what was coming in light of his age, and I used to ask him to promise to never leave me, but some things are inevitable, and I experienced the "Crying time" anyway.

My wife is on me to get another dog, but after your former dogs lived with you as long as your own children did, it's hard to think of getting another one, since I am the one to make his final arrangements and I hate the thought of doing it again.

Some decisions you have to make.  You don't like to make them, but it's your responsibility to make them.  I feel guilty each time that I am forced to end my closest friend's life.

I know the drill, "It's for their own good", but it's still hard since it's not for my own good.  It's the worst thing I have had to do in life.

But, as always, I will concede to bringing another love into my family.  As soon as the grief of losing the last one lessens.  This time is unique, however.  I will not live long enough to get a baby, so it's going to have to be an adult dog.

I love critters to death.  I value each and every one of them highly. 

I wouldn't hesitate to bring an end to a bad human, but I tear up thinking of having to do it to a critter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

All Dogs.

Bruno, Brindle, Brinie, Nanouk, Brutus, Brooklyn and Bruiser.

These are our dogs over 41 years.. All had different personalities.  All were great companions to my wife and I.

Brooklyn, 10 years old, and Bruiser, 3 years old, both GSD’s, are still with us.

My wife and I love each and every one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, janice6 said:

We haven't had many dogs in our lifetime.  When I was little we had a Cocker Springer that had one pup.  We kept both till each passed.

My family has had three so far.  One miniature Poodle that was smart as a whip, but passive as they come.  He lived for around 14 years.

Then we got our first Yorkie.  He lived to be 18 years old.

Then we got our second Yorkie (my former avatar)  he stayed with me for just about 20 years, missed it by days.

I loved them all.  When they passed it was like another piece of my heart was torn out.

I am still not over my last Yorkie.  I had a special relationship with him.  I would sit with him in my arms from around midnight to 2 AM for many years.  We would talk to each other about our hope and fears.  People laugh when I say that he was the best confidant I ever had, he never said a word about me to anyone else.

When I was particularly worried he would look at me during our talk and give me one lick on the cheek.  I really miss his presence.  I don't know which needed the other more.

For a long time in my life, it was really hard I contemplated losing everything I held dear to me.  That dog made up for everything. 

I love to sing and late at night I would sing a special song to him, "Oh It's Crying Time Again".  I knew what was coming in light of his age, and I used to ask him to promise to never leave me, but some things are inevitable, and I experienced the "Crying time" anyway.

My wife is on me to get another dog, but after your former dogs lived with you as long as your own children did, it's hard to think of getting another one, since I am the one to make his final arrangements and I hate the thought of doing it again.

Some decisions you have to make.  You don't like to make them, but it's your responsibility to make them.  I feel guilty each time that I am forced to end my closest friend's life.

I know the drill, "It's for their own good", but it's still hard since it's not for my own good.  It's the worst thing I have had to do in life.

But, as always, I will concede to bringing another love into my family.  As soon as the grief of losing the last one lessens.  This time is unique, however.  I will not live long enough to get a baby, so it's going to have to be an adult dog.

I love critters to death.  I value each and every one of them highly. 

I wouldn't hesitate to bring an end to a bad human, but I tear up thinking of having to do it to a critter.

I've told this story before...some where on this board...When It came Daz 's time...we put him in the car, me, my wife and daughter.  Me with Daz, My daughter drivin...wife shotgun...our long time Personal vet.  My daughter opened the door and Daz raised his head..."Sniffed the Air"...Looked at my daughter, looked at my wife,...looked at me...Took a Big breath...and never breathed again.

I've thanked my boy for that...every day since...

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Had four dogs scattered throughout early and middle years. Had a couple cats when a teen, then new bride and I got a cat and a dog. Mostly cats thereafter and no dogs after the last one, a GS. Have a changing mix of cats since then, some much closer than others. Several now are nearing or into their teens.

I cry and cry when I lose one, and thinking of some favorites long departed still brings tears.

Probably no more dogs, but expect to have cats as long as I am able.

Speaking of cats, Durango - their solicitor general - is telling me it is past time for shreds.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Had four dogs scattered throughout early and middle years. Had a couple cats when a teen, then new bride and I got a cat and a dog. Mostly cats thereafter and no dogs after the last one, a GS. Have a changing mix of cats since then, some much closer than others. Several now are nearing or into their teens.

I cry and cry when I lose one, and thinking of some favorites long departed still brings tears.

Probably no more dogs, but expect to have cats as long as I am able.

Speaking of cats, Durango - their solicitor general - is telling me it is past time for shreds.  

I still hope to...hopefully have one more dog...a Rescue Boston...Two "Old Guys", ya know?  :D  Or a Lady.:D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m on dogs #12 and #13 right now. My parents thought a boy should be raised with a dog so one was there when I came home. I have always had dogs ever since.

Had a couple cats for a short time. A couple parakeets and a canary. Plus a bunch of fish when I was a kid. 

When you include my daughter when she lived here you add more birds and a bunch of reptiles. But she was a zookeeper. 

2BD77199-E937-44F4-ABC8-616FC36DD582.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Swampfox762 said:

"sensitive" grasshopper..."Sensitive"...Don't be talkin bout our dogs...

Ok, I gotta ask...what's your new Icon?  I don't "see" what it is...A vertical sunset??

It's a Falcon 9 rocket launch, with the sun setting behind it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

Ok, I gotta ask...what's your new Icon?  I don't "see" what it is...A vertical sunset??

1259822421_ScreenShot2020-11-13at9_14_53PM.png.4d37376fc5a61e480aa6479a1c642ff9.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Swampfox762 said:

FWIW, I wasn't. I love dogs. I am not wearing my glasses and I thought that is what he typed at first. I had to move closer to the screen and reread it. Getting old sucks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1