Massive Explosion in Lebanon

Eric

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, tadbart said:

Only thing I could think, when that big explosion happened, was LAY DOWN. Lots of flying debris, and I'm sure that change in pressure was impressive, as well. 

Get down and Ass To The Blast. Learned that in Basic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Beirut has been one of those places that I've always considered explodey. Seems like from when I was a kid, until now, that's been a place where bombs go off, no the kinda place you'd plan a vacation to.

There's video out there of a view of the explosion from a jet ski- man, that messed with my head. I figured this place was a total third-world shithole, with some nice cedar trees. In the aftermath of this explosion, The city looks like what I always pictured it looked like, all this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pipedreams said:

There is so many stories floating around about this it's hard to really know what happened.

It ( larges caches of AN exploding under fire conditions ) happens a lot. No surprise to me that some 2000+ tons of nasties sitting in a warehouse for 5 years finally ran across something it didn't like.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tadbart said:

Beirut has been one of those places that I've always considered explodey. Seems like from when I was a kid, until now, that's been a place where bombs go off, no the kinda place you'd plan a vacation to.

There's video out there of a view of the explosion from a jet ski- man, that messed with my head. I figured this place was a total third-world ****hole, with some nice cedar trees. In the aftermath of this explosion, The city looks like what I always pictured it looked like, all this time.

Back in the 1950s it was a wonderful jewel in the Med.  The party city of the region.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Historian said:

Back in the 1950s it was a wonderful jewel in the Med.  The party city of the region.

I was there in 1959 (with the whole 6th fleet moored in the harbor, and it had turned into a crap hole with local revolutionaries and the government shooting up the place and bombing city buildings.

One bar I was in one night was just a smoking hole in the ground the next morning.

Fighting was just on the edge of town.

When we pulled into the harbor they had the largest 7up neon sign I had ever seen.  It must have been 3 stories or more  high facing the harbor.

Edited by janice6
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, janice6 said:

I was there in 1959 (with the whole 6th fleet moored in the harbor, and it had turned into a crap hole with local revolutionaries and the government shooting up the place and bombing city buildings.

Janice, you and my dad were in the same fleet at the same time in the same ports. 

He was on the Des Moines.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Historian said:

Janice, you and my dad were in the same fleet at the same time in the same ports. 

He was on the Des Moines.

That time I was rather infamous for creating a new communications policy for the Fleet, due to my clandestine unauthorized communications.

ADDED:  I was on a non-descript Ocean Going Mine Sweeper.

I had a great time in the Navy!

Edited by janice6
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, tadbart said:

There's video out there of a view of the explosion from a jet ski- man, that messed with my head. I figured this place was a total third-world shithole, with some nice cedar trees. In the aftermath of this explosion, The city looks like what I always pictured it looked like, all this time.

Your thoughts about it reflect my experience.

It was 2,750 TONS of Ammonium Nitrate off-loaded from a Russian ship that was disabled and considered unseaworthy. The AN was only supposed to be temporarily stored there until it could be safely disposed of little by little but the Lebanese just never got around to it. I also heard that some fireworks were stored with it and a fire set off the fireworks and the fireworks set off the Ammonium Nitrate.

This comes at a time when the Lebanese government is on the verge of collapse, and this may push them over the edge. So my question is, who would benefit from the collapse of the government?

Edited by Borg warner
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Borg warner said:

It was 2,750 TONS of Ammonium Nitrate off-loaded from a Russian ship that was disabled and considered unseaworthy. The AN was only supposed to be temporarily stored there until it could be safely disposed of little by little but the Lebanese just never got around to it. I also heard that some fireworks were stored with it and a fire set off the fireworks and the fireworks set off the Ammonium Nitrate.

This comes at a time when the Lebanese government is on the verge of collapse, and this may push them over the edge. So my question is, who would benefit from the collapse of the government?

It's just a bunch of explosive ****. What could possible happen? 

• Like 2