Motorcycle Thread

Rabbi

4 hours ago, jmohme said:

Originally it was called the CX500. Later CX650 and each had a short run of a turbocharged model. The Silver Wing was at the end of this V twins cycle. It was a shame too. As far as I am concerned the engine mounted this way with a shaft drive made the CX and Moto Guzzi the only V twin bikes that were done right.

1 hour ago, ChuteTheMall said:

I still have an ignition key that will fit that BMW (or any 1955-69). 

Weird mismatched mirrors and non-original pillion (passenger) seat and maybe too much chrome on the fork legs, but otherwise a beautiful specimen.

Notice the beautiful bronzing on the exhaust pipe; they sometimes showed a little blue too.:banana:

BMW did it right too, but they were/are too damned ugly to give that much credit. O.o

On 7/31/2022 at 4:44 PM, railfancwb said:

MotoGuzi made the motorcycle Ann Margaret is riding in the video. V-2 engine with crankshaft parallel to frame. Think these are still made. Honda briefly offered a similar design, called Silverwing. In due course that name was revived for a large scooter. 

1D927571-E8A0-47F3-B395-212F66221D24.jpeg

My BIL had one when they first came out.  1978.  CX 500.  It was an ok bike, a little underpowered.  The same time he bought his, I bought the last sohc Honda 750K.  

On 7/31/2022 at 6:04 PM, jmohme said:

Originally it was called the CX500. Later CX650 and each had a short run of a turbocharged model. The Silver Wing was at the end of this V twins cycle. It was a shame too. As far as I am concerned the engine mounted this way with a shaft drive made the CX and Moto Guzzi the only V twin bikes that were done right.

And yes, they still make the Guzzi 

For some reason, I can not seem to upload images to this site anymore, do a search on Moto Guzzi. Pretty good looking bikes.

I had a new CX 500 IIRC it was a 1980 I think it was $1700. (They were shaft drive, water cooled) .. Great bike, it drove like wheeling a baby carriage..I think I remember something about applying power in a left turn ??? torque steer?

When I think back I used it ride it on 495 (Long Island Expressway) rush hour from Oyster Bay to Long Island City  :shoot-me:    Young(er) stupid(er)  But somehow I "survived" ... Skidded on a sand cover country turn, crashed, screwed up my shoulder, fucked up a season of sailing....another crash in NYC....Gave up and sold it

My wife put the kabash on a motorcycle (long story but I should have been dead 50 years ago because of one) so I bought a quad-cycle...  A Mustang convertible with the coyote 5.0.

Not quit the same but I get a great rush of wind through the few hairs I have left and she is happy!! Plus when it rains I can put the top up and keep cruising, nice and dry.  :)

• Like 3