Breakfast of champions (horses)

gwalchmai

As many of you know, I was once a sufferer of Satan's Revenge - this little guy

serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fupload.wikime

I've been free of the bastard for a few years now, thanks to Allopurinol and diet. A couple of weeks ago, however, Mrs. G complained that she had injured her foot, but couldn't remember exactly when. A couple of doctors' visits pointed to the gout, so we stopped eating meat and she went on a course of steroids. Now, two weeks later, her pain is about gone and we've accepted her fate. In solidarity (and being too lazy to prepare different menus) we've been entirely meatless for two weeks. That won't continue, of course, but we are changing to a "less meaty" diet.

So now our breakfast is a bowl of oatmeal. Currently I make 1 cup of 3/4 old fashioned oats, 1/4 cup oat bran, 1.5 cups milk, .5 cups cinnamon apple sauce, and a pinch of salt for two servings. Today I mixed in a pack of raisins. Keeps us full until whatever salad is for lunch. Some would call it boring, but neigh, I say (and so does Winnie). ;)

OatMeal.thumb.JPG.631f70b98b4eb0cb09204fc8798128df.JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

As many of you know, I was once a sufferer of Satan's Revenge - this little guy

serveimage?url=https:%2F%2Fupload.wikime

I've been free of the bastard for a few years now, thanks to Allopurinol and diet. A couple of weeks ago, however, Mrs. G complained that she had injured her foot, but couldn't remember exactly when. A couple of doctors' visits pointed to the gout, so we stopped eating meat and she went on a course of steroids. Now, two weeks later, her pain is about gone and we've accepted her fate. In solidarity (and being too lazy to prepare different menus) we've been entirely meatless for two weeks. That won't continue, of course, but we are changing to a "less meaty" diet.

So now our breakfast is a bowl of oatmeal. Currently I make 1 cup of 3/4 old fashioned oats, 1/4 cup oat bran, 1.5 cups milk, .5 cups cinnamon apple sauce, and a pinch of salt for two servings. Today I mixed in a pack of raisins. Keeps us full until whatever salad is for lunch. Some would call it boring, but neigh, I say (and so does Winnie). ;)

OatMeal.thumb.JPG.631f70b98b4eb0cb09204fc8798128df.JPG

How would that Burger King Meatless burger work for you ????????????

I love hot and cold cereals so much that I eat enough to "plug up severely".  I have to be careful how much I take.  

I used to eat about a quarter to a third of a box at a time.  But those good times are gone.  Along with 3 packs of instant Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal.

Good luck to you!

Edited by janice6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Maser said:

Man, I don't know how I would live without red meat!  I guess I would be gout of luck!  Sorry, couldn't resist.....?

I haven't given it up completely. I can pretty much guarantee that anyone who is in the middle of a grand mal gout attack will give up whatever it takes for as long as it takes to get relief, though. 220, 221 volts, apple cider vinegar, whatever it takes. :supergrin:

4 hours ago, janice6 said:

It's been literally years and years since I've been in a Burger King. I never really got over the "king in the bedroom" commercials. ;)

• Haha 1

I Like using Granola as oatmeal and I can get it in bulk at the local market and the one I like best has almonds in it and has only 7 grams of sugar per serving. I'm diabetic and I also use low calorie Maple syrup and it's a weakness of mine, but I have to have butter with that. I just mix it with water. add butter, and put it in the microwave for an instant breakfast.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Borg warner said:

I Like using Granola as oatmeal and I can get it in bulk at the local market and the one I like best has almonds in it and has only 7 grams of sugar per serving. I'm diabetic and I also use low calorie Maple syrup and it's a weakness of mine, but I have to have butter with that. I just mix it with water. add butter, and put it in the microwave for an instant breakfast.

I love Granola! It's just like candy to me. Unfortunately, it's just like candy to me... ;(

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, gwalchmai said:

I love Granola! It's just like candy to me. Unfortunately, it's just like candy to me... ;(

Some of it has more sugar than others. anything below 10 grams has a lot less sugar than a candy bar, a can of coke, or even fruit-flavored yogurt which all have a bout 40 grams per serving.

6 or seven grams is just about ideal for granola and is not much more than regular oatmeal especially if you add sugar to your oatmeal. Raisins also have a lot of sugar even though it's "natural" sugar.

Edited by Borg warner
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2020 at 12:01 PM, janice6 said:

I love hot and cold cereals so much that I eat enough to "plug up severely".  I have to be careful how much I take.  

I used to eat about a quarter to a third of a box at a time.  But those good times are gone.  Along with 3 packs of instant Strawberries and Cream Oatmeal.

Good luck to you!

Noticed at local KFC recently that they are offering donuts and meatless fake chicken. 

What would the Colonel think?  

• Sad 1

On 3/6/2020 at 5:19 PM, gwalchmai said:

It's been literally years and years since I've been in a Burger King. I never really got over the "king in the bedroom" commercials. ;)

I am telling you it would have been a regime change.  That monarch would have been history.

Breaking news:  I had two impossible burgers.  They were darn tasty!  I liked them.  But it's not meat.  But it made for a wonderful vegiburger.

They are on to something.   I'd eat one again.   I could have prepared it better than what i purchased...but it was still down right tasty.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

OK, Historian. I'll give one a try on your recommendation. :599c64b15e0f8_thumbsup:

Give it a shot.  It was a Friday in Lent and i had to have something yummy for lunch.

I think if i had seasoned it better and had better onions, tomato, and some cheese....it would have been decent.

Of course the super hot hippie chick who sold it to me might have...influenced me.