how do people get mistaken for deer ???

ASH

i mean seriously     just saw this  https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/ny-kim-drawdy-sc-daughter-shot-hunters-mistaken-deer-20200103-42r6zu34rfbqzgtg3eraf6rhqq-story.html\

and it happens  alottttttttttttttttttttt.  i wish someone had a good answer because my brain will not register   a person mistake for deer .   .  guy was killed near me   awhile  mistaken for a deer . 

I don't even like driving on Hwy 19 in the Ocala National Forest during Hunting season, because my truck is brown.

I can't wrap my head around shooting at a noise or a moving bush. I'm sure most of us here have stopped and taken a breath even, while shooting at a safe gunrange. Our deer are the size of a German Shepherd. I'm the size of THREE German Shepherds. I don't need 40 lbs of dog meat bad enough to risk taking a 30-30 or a twoooo-sebnee to the gut.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Yes lady, you can have the elk you shot. But can I at least remove my saddle from it.

So true!

6 hours ago, Historian said:

Bet they shot at the sound...rather than the deer.  

Heart breaking.

They call themselves "Hunters".  

I saw a group of 6-7 guys all start shooting at a deer the got back up, but was in no danger of getting away. They all approached it from different directions.  It was a horrendous crossfire. I hit the dirt. Our pickup was parked on a logging road above this mayhem and I had just gotten out of it. They shot the drivers side mirror off, the bullet going right through the cab where I had been just a few moments before. You aren't going to hear the rest of this story, but at least no one died.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

I saw a group of 6-7 guys all start shooting at a deer the got back up, but was in no danger of getting away. They all approached it from different directions.  It was a horrendous crossfire. I hit the dirt. Our pickup was parked on a logging road above this mayhem and I had just gotten out of it. They shot the drivers side mirror off, the bullet going right through the cab where I had been just a few moments before. You aren't going to hear the rest of this story, but at least no one died.

I was witness to some of that.  It's why I quit Deer Hunting in Minnesota.  It was turning into a party event with plenty of liquor.

I lived at the edge of a several hundred acre wooded area when I was younger. I spent a lot of time in those woods, but would stay out of them during deer season.

Far too many urban hunters that would shoot at anything that moved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ASH said:

ive got alot of wooded land with poachers in the past ,   and during hunting season here , there is always some dumb **** trespassing trying to hunt .  

When I was hunting is seemed like a lot of weekend hunters believed that the Deer permit entitled you to hunt on other people's property, even without their consent.  

My father taught me that I first had to get permission to do anything on other people's property.  We had never been turned down.  The owners usually told us the best locations to hunt in and what to watch out for.  They were all good people to us.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2020 at 12:57 PM, janice6 said:

These aren't "hunters" they're shooters.  Hunting is too complicated for them.

Years ago, I had a rub show up within sight of my tree stand.  One day I saw the top of the tree bending back and forth and getting worn out.  I tried and tried, but couldn't see the deer to shoot, so I didn't shoot.  When the tree got still, I looked hard but never saw the deer.  Just as soon as I had shot anyway, it would turn out to be a hunter who liked doing "authentic rubs".  

Edited by PPQer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1