What are you allergic to.

ASH

When I was doing woodworking, I used gloves to keep from getting glue on my hands.

At first I thought I was allergic to the Latex gloves when I had an allergic reaction and my eye was swelling.  Antihistamine took care of it.

What I found was that the powder they dust the insides of the Latex gloves was what I was reacting to.  I would take the gloves off and then if I touched my eyes, I would get a flare up.

I went to Nitrile gloves since they would stand up to petroleum products while working on the car and they didn't dust the insides with powder.

I have two rather strange allergies. I am allergic to Brazil nuts and polyurethane finish. My Brazil nut allergy is just like a peanut allergy and makes the inside of my throat swell up so I can't breathe and even in small amounts it produces a very painful sensation on the inside of my mouth. I can't eat mixed nuts and I have to read the labels on candy and whole grain breads because some breads have brazil nuts in them but most have peanuts or hazel nuts or walnuts which I'm not allergic to, and in fact I'm not allergic to any other nut but Brazil nuts.  

I once refinished a table with polyurethane and was doing a final coat and had a little artist's touch-up brush in the top pocket of a flannel shirt that I was wearing earlier in the day but took the shirt off when it got warm. Then later in the day I used the shirt to polish the table. The next morning when I went to work I put on the shirt because I had only worn it for a couple of hours the day before. I was working on electrical wiring at some lady's house and after about an hour I started turning bright red and felt like I was burning up. The lady noticed this and somehow figured out that this was an allergic reaction to the polyurethane that I had in my shirt and she let me go into the bathroom and take a shower and that helped and the cold water helped cool me down and I think the warm water and soap washed off any of the stuff that was on my skin. I threw the shirt in the trash and drove home without a shirt to get a clean shirt and took some antihistamines which also helped.

I've worked a lot with chemicals and there is nothing else I'm allergic to. I had refinished that table for someone who paid me for the job and I had them come and get the table and take it away.

On 11/17/2019 at 2:43 PM, UnifiedFieldTheory said:

My initial response is that I am absolutely allergic to absolutely nothing at all.  To the point that when I had a blood test to check for eosinophilic esophagitis (long story), the allergist called me himself to tell me he'd never seen anyone - ANYONE - as non-allergic to, well, everything as I was.

That's dander, mold, pollen, dust, grass...none of it bothers me.  I sneeze so infrequently as to find sneezes kind of fun. 

However, more recently, the last time I got a hornet sting, the result was alarming.  It turned dark red like this, then even darker red and blue after this photo, then some of the skin roughed up and literally peeled off, and I now have a scar in the center where the black dot is (which was an actual hole).  That whole event lasted almost two weeks.  So there's a distinct possibility I've developed a late allergy to hornets which is problematic because I get stung 2x-4x every year.

IMG_7047.thumb.jpeg.76f50979b03f26de9a737de9b9c1a275.jpeg

I'm not an expert, but you might consider going to a doctor if that happens again.

I had something similar happen though no hornets were involved.  I had a rough place (dry skin) on my leg form.  Which then led to a sequence of boils forming.  

First one I caught early enough and treated with antibiotics.

Second one wasn't caught early enough and they had to drain it in the doctor's office.  Had to cut my leg open and dig all the puss and ick out, then stuff it with some sterile bandages.  Took about a month to heal completely.  They also put me on treatments for MRSA just in case.

Third one I put heat on it while it was forming (I could tell when one was coming) and it went away very quickly.

Finally my dumbass went to a dermatologist to get the rough patch of skin taken care of.  What was happening was I would scratch the rough patch to the point of drawing blood.  Which would eventually lead to something getting in and causing an infection.  And then the boil came.

A course of a specific skin cream made the rough patch go away.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2019 at 11:54 AM, LostinTexas said:

That looks more like a lucky shot. Vascular hit, and maybe vascular injection. In other words a big azz bruise.

Sounds like it would be frugal to be on the look out from now on, you wouldn't be the first to develop an allergy over an event, or just because. What do you do to get hit several time a year by hornets? That may be the more prominent question.

Basically I'm outside a lot in the summertime, and in Virginia, there are tons of hornets, wasps, and other stinging assholes that take exception to me.

On 11/18/2019 at 6:29 PM, RenoF250 said:

I am slightly allergic to Benadryl, it kind of amps me up.  I still take it, just not before bed.  When I was younger I had a very strong reaction.  My mom gave it to me for chicken pox and apparently I was all over the place.  It drives my dad crazy, makes his skin crawl.

This isn’t an allergy, it’s a not all that uncommon of a reaction really.

Every time I take the "50 scratches on your back" allergy test, every single thing they test for welts up so fast they have to stab me with a Benadryl shot 2 minutes into the test, smear Benadryl all over my back, and then the nurse stands around with an Epi-pen waiting to see how much worse it is going to get.  They never believe me when I tell them that's what is going to happen, and then they act all shocked when it does.  Like, what? you think I'm going to lie about it?  Considering I've had the darn test done 3 times in the last 50 years, and it's been the same every time...  

I had those stupid allergy shots every week for 10 years as a child, starting at the age of 4... every time they got a new bottle, I reacted badly and they had to drop back to whatever the lowest dosage was, even tho the bottles were all supposedly the same, and I had worked up to a (slightly) higher dose by the end of every bottle.  Then, because I had an asthma attack while pregnant due to being exposed to an excessive amount of cat dander (where I had been told there wouldn't be any, once again by someone who thought allergies were not serious) that put me in the hospital... anyway, that ended up with me on 5 different allergy meds, including Singulair, which resulted in my waking up every morning in a homicidal rage at the world  (when the FDA finally added to the packaging "extreme irritability" as a potential side effect, I stopped taking it, and two weeks later I woke up feeling normal for the first time in 5 years...

So I went to the allergist (instead of the GP who put me on all the meds)... and I ended up on shots again, for 5 more years... until the day his office changed to a new computer system, and the nurse didn't understand the math necessary to use it, and gave me 50x the dosage I was supposed to get.  (LIKE SHE COUDLN'T HAVE LOOKED AT THE DOSAGE FROM MY LAST SHOT ON MY CHART AND NOTICED A SERIOUS DISCREPANCY?!).  Obviously I'm still here, but since that meant I had been re-sensitized to everything, and would have to start back at the beginning of the dose schedule, I said to hell with this, I'll just live with the allergies... which aside from the itchy eyes (which I can fix with eye drops) all spring and summer, have all seemingly disappeared... to the point that I live with cats and dogs in the house.

Anyway, the list of things I was allergic to was endless.  The one thing that didn't trigger any reaction from me... honey bee venom.  I react worse to mosquito bites than I do to honey bee stings.  Which is a good thing, since I keep bees.

• Thanks 1