The endless quest for the perfect gun

Vito

So many of us own several, many or a huge number of guns. For some it is a collection, for some it is the endless search for the perfect gun. Whether for home defense, concealed carry, protection while in the outdoors, etc. we keep hoping to find the perfect match for the need. I carry a Ruger L9s and for the most part, have felt it is as perfect a concealed carry firearm as anything on the market. But I find I am thinking about the latest Sig, or maybe something from S&W. Sometimes I feel a bit silly about this, since what I carry meets my needs, is easy to conceal, shoots well, etc, etc. What brought this to mind is that a gun I bought several years ago for concealed carry and then ended up almost never carrying it, went with me to the range the other day. Shooting it was a pleasure, and I found that I could shoot this gun more accurately than many others that I have owned. It made impressive hole, has greater capacity than what I now carry and is not too much larger. It is my Ruger SR40c and had been sitting in my safe for years. Maybe instead of looking forward to the newest and the latest, I should be looking back at what I already have. Today I am digging through my huge box of holsters to find something I would be comfortable using to carry this gun on my belt. What was old is now new again. 

• Like 5

• Administrators

I've been carrying this pistol for nearly twenty years. I imagine you are all tired of seeing it by now. After all the years and many thousands of rounds, it is still completely dependable and accurate as hell. That is the second set of night sights. I have carried it so long, I wore out the first set.

727166279_JPEGimage2.thumb.jpeg.a7d607bb8ffd3b8725bae74c7124ed8d.jpeg

KimberCarry.thumb.jpeg.500a910cd6066c2eb52458129e9cb168.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I have found the Glock 48 to fit me better than any other pistol and I have had a few.

I have one with Glock night sights and 4.5# striker spring and reduced power firing pin plunger spring. It works very well for me.

I carry in a Concealment Express IWB poly holster with one mag in a poly mag carrier, it basically feels like I am not carrying anything.

• Like 2

I carried a Glock 27 for a long time, then a Kahr MK9, and a full sized Glock (40 for a while, 9mm for the past 3 yrs) ever since I got a Crossbreed IWB holder.

Woods gun is S&W 629 44 mag Mountain Gun.

Sent from my Jack boot using Copatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My first CCW was a G27.  It has always been a good choice for me, with high cap mags.  It shoots so nice.  The desire for something different made me look elsewhere.

But, my all time favorite carry was a 4" Rhino in .357 Magnum.  I have never shot a handgun that was as nice while being comfortable to shoot.  The only drawback for me was the 6 round count.  I would have carried my Kimber 1911also, except for the same 6 round capacity.

Since the trend now is for numbers of pests, I choose to carry a G41 day in and day out (even as I type this).  14 rounds of .45 is a good start.

• Like 2

Like the OP I have found the LC9s Pro being my favorite since it's very easy to conceal during warmer weather.  Like the crisp trigger and it will fire without the magazine in.   As winter comes on I will switch to G26.   Since I usually don't find myself in locations where I'm uncomfortable, those are sufficient for me.  If those won't do it's time for me to head home.

Edited by pipedreams
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ASH said:

My CC is Kimber micro. And Smith shield.  My biggest problem is quest for perfect knife lol man it's addicting and expensive. 

My oldest daughter has one.  I shot it at our last range trip.  It's a really nice gun.  Feels good and shoots comfortably.

• Like 4

I'm an old guy.

I have owned or fired  probably nearly every pistol, both revolvers and auto-pistols, and variations there are and I keep coming back to the basic, full-sized  1911.

That was my sidearm for many, many years and I never felt under-gunned.

My second favorite sidearm was a Glock 30.

Yep.

Old.

• Like 4

Suspect that the old cowboy combination of lever action and revolver in the same caliber satisfies many. Lever actions in 37/357, 44spec/mag, and 45 Colt are readily available. And revolvers both single action and double action are available in these calibers as well. Semi-automatic pistols which look like the 1911 and use 38/357 Ammo are available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, railfancwb said:

Suspect that the old cowboy combination of lever action and revolver in the same caliber satisfies many. Lever actions in 37/357, 44spec/mag, and 45 Colt are readily available. And revolvers both single action and double action are available in these calibers as well. Semi-automatic pistols which look like the 1911 and use 38/357 Ammo are available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My son bought a "Judge" pistol on a lark.  He finally coerced me into shooting a .45 long Colt in it.

I was very surprised.  It was a nice round to shoot, accurate, easy to handle and little recoil to deal with.

He ran some tests with various .410 buck, and I didn't care to shoot those.

On 10/31/2019 at 4:43 PM, Fnfalman said:

I've just found my perfection gun:  Colt Classic Series 70 .38 Super.

It doesn't have any weird "improved ergonomics" doodads.  It has an honest blued finish that is pleasing to the eyes.  It's a Colt.  It shoots the .38 Super cartridge.

B7195640-D587-48A2-BD66-5892F45CD5DB_zps

Thanks a lot....  I have been looking at 38 Supers the last few months.  For some reason I want one but put it out of my mind over and over again.  Thanks just thanks....., now you have fueled the fire in my brain again.  I need to stop looking at these threads....  Nice looking pistol.... 

Dave..

• Thanks 2

• Administrators
17 hours ago, janice6 said:

My son bought a "Judge" pistol on a lark.  He finally coerced me into shooting a .45 long Colt in it.

I was very surprised.  It was a nice round to shoot, accurate, easy to handle and little recoil to deal with.

He ran some tests with various .410 buck, and I didn't care to shoot those.

The .45 Colt is a low pressure round. Not a lot of kick and fun to shoot. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1