Silver Spitfire

Eric

19 minutes ago, Eric said:

Is anyone following the progress of The Silver Spitfire? Apparently, some guy is flying it around the world. I’ve seen a few posts about it on FB. Beautiful bird. 

8879A674-3606-4BDC-8AEF-638D0336A9FF.jpeg.c95c802c20c9521d8163dd41656971c4.jpeg

Good artistic form is easy to see and even the least among us can appreciate it.  Great ship!

• Like 1

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, blueiron said:

Probably not as revered flying over Germany.

I doubt if it spent a lot of time over Germany, in WWII. It only had a range of 430 miles or so. But yeah, you are probably right. :biggrin:

• Like 4

• Administrators
1 minute ago, blueiron said:

They were forward stationed at airbases in France, Belgium, Holland, and northern Germany until surrender as CAS platforms. 

Yeah, that’s true. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2019 at 9:47 PM, Eric said:

I doubt if it spent a lot of time over Germany, in WWII. It only had a range of 430 miles or so. But yeah, you are probably right. :biggrin:

In fact, some of the wet-wing recon Spits had ranges of 2,000 miles, and they did in fact overfly Germany. They were not really made of silver, though...

11 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

In fact, some of the wet-wing recon Spits had ranges of 2,000 miles, and they did in fact overfly Germany. They were not really made of silver, though...

They got that nickname when the manufacturers found out just how much weight the paint adds to the aircraft.  So they left it off.

A few years ago the commercial aircraft were looking at the significant weight of painting their planes.  Some went without, to increase efficiency and profitability, but I don't know what the resolution was.  They seem to be painted now.