Got Pulled Over Today

Eric

• Administrators

I was in Denton, TX this morning and I got pulled over for going 64mph in a 45mph. The guy had me cold. He told me why he pulled me over and I handed him my CHL and my driver's license. He never asked about what I was carrying where. He went back to his car and came back a few minutes later. He gave me a verbal warning and told me to have a nice day. I was going 19mph over the speed limit. I was certain I was getting a ticket.

The officer was courteous and professional. The whole stop took less than 5 minutes. I am always polite when I get pulled over. I never know if it makes a difference, in a situation like this morning, but I think it is the right thing to do. Those guys have a tough, dangerous, thankless job and I respect them for doing it.

I earned the ticket and would not have begrudged the officer writing it. It was a pleasant surprise when he didn't though and it got my Monday off to a better start than usual. :crylikeender:

• Like 16

3 hours ago, Eric said:

I am always polite when I get pulled over. I never know if it makes a difference, in a situation like 

It’s always made a difference in those situations for me!  and my teenage son!!

...and plenty of other situations not law enforcement related.

But most important, as you said...just the right thing to do...

Edited by ChuckUles
Convert pronoun to noun ;)
  • Like 1

I never understood why folks who hate cops so much feel the need to make their altercations with them longer than they need to be.  Wouldn't common sense tell you that if you don't like being around someone for whatever reason, don't do things to keep them around you longer?  I personally don't mind getting pulled over because even if I get a ticket I don't have to pay for it.  At first after I got my CHL, I was a little worried about having to show that because this is CA and all, but now it's just second nature to me.  I seriously treat a traffic stop nowadays as nothing more than a 5 minute break from driving. 

Glad it went well, Eric.

I’m 3 weeks retired now, but when I was prosecuting, I always used to tell those with tickets that if they are driving the speed limit and a child runs out in front of them and gets hit, it’s an accident.  If it happens while you are speeding, it’s vehicular manslaughter.

Most of the officers I worked with went VERY easy on polite motorists.  Not so much so on the jerks.  Believe me, I’ve watched enough body cam video to know I never want to be a traffic cop.

• Like 1

The last and only speeding ticket I received was on my way through a deserted road to NMSU.  The sun was in my eyes and I had no idea how fast I was going.  That is the way in NM, nothing between nothing.  Ironically, later in the same State, I would get busted hauling ass in my UC vehicle going to work years later.  The inevitable question was, "Why does your plate come back to a window company that does not exist?"  An explanation and professional courtesy and I was back on my dark morning 45 minute trek to work.  I have been stopped here twice.  Never a ticket.  

I would do what I wanted during traffic stops I have conducted.  The wheels canted away from the road, so any accident doesn't cause collateral damage.  The window is down, the radio is off, and my hands are visible on the steering wheel.  Then comes the license (registration here is on the windshield).  I inform the officer for their safety and mine that I am armed.  They ask which side?  I explain the side where I keep my license and badge.  Once that is established, and courtesies are exchanged, it becomes a non-issue.

The last time I got pulled over for speeding, I was leaving Mount Rushmore. The highway going away from Mt. Rushmore is very steep going downhill, with lots of twists and turns. You can't help but speed, it's too much darn fun.

I informed the officer that I was an armed off-duty officer myself, while keeping my hands on the steering wheel.

I got a ticket too. I took it like a man, no hard feelings towards the officer.

Edited by kerbie18
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Walt Longmire said:

Was he wearing his hat?

Damn, you beat me.  I still get "cool story bro."

I got pulled over awhile back for 52 (I think it was) in a 35 by a female officer.  No CHL but polite and honest apology for not paying attention to my speed got me a warning.

Either that or it was my white privilege.  Honestly, if I was a white cop I would discriminate heavily FOR black people.  From what I have seen many cops are but it is a waste of time for the fools that listen to Al charlatin and his ilk.

19 over here  and   VA  can get you a careless and reckless.  virginia dont even know what a warning ticket is lol.  we have to drive 5 hours thru that state to go to wifes home place . there has been a 20 year old speed trap  crossing  over to VA    and then i let the wife drive.  if VA  was not on the map our trip would be 3 hours .

reasoning people get warnings or not .  they like you , or your car ,  or really nice,  or your concealed carry .   

it always strts bad for me lol ,  for some reason smurfs here  walk to car  and  it starts with son  can i ,,,, wait a sec  did you say son?  some things i let slide some i dont ,  but i pay my lawyer get a improper equipment  pay him 100 bucks be done with it . and it is always with wife riding with me .    

few months ago i stopped in my 40 year old cj7   with 3 speed v8   trooper said i was sitting on bridge clocked you at 90 .  i was literallly said  what the ****  !!  this jeep  will max out at 60 to 65 tops  on highway , told him no way  i told him to drive my jeep get it to 90  id love to see it as long as you pay for new motor .  i said if you give me ticket for that go ahead and lets go to jail .  anyone with a old jeep knows this .  got a warning  .  with nice jeep comment

I got pulled over by a Georgia State T, back in January. Popped me at 91 in the 70 in a bright red Camaro.

Well to the side, window down, hands on wheel.

’Know why I pulled you over?’

‘Yeah, I was speeding’

’Any reason for the hurry?’

‘I need to be in Phenix City and I’ve never  been there before, let my speed creep up on me. Sorry.’

‘Any gun’s or weapons in the car?’

’Yes sir.’

’Where is it?’

’It? Four are in the trunk, one’s in the console and the other is on my hip.’

’What?’

‘I’m going to a match in Phenix City, my competition guns are in the trunk.’

Small talk about competition shooting followed by him going back to his car.

I ended up with a ticket for 84 in 70 which in GA means no points.  Nice young guy, respectful and professional

I didn’t BS him, treated him with respect and he cut me a $500+ break, not even accounting for the insurance increase I avoided.

He asked me to keep it under 84 the rest of the way and I did.

• Like 2

• Administrators
34 minutes ago, Wyzz Kydd said:

I got pulled over by a Georgia State T, back in January. Popped me at 91 in the 70 in a bright red Camaro.

Well to the side, window down, hands on wheel.

’Know why I pulled you over?’

‘Yeah, I was speeding’

’Any reason for the hurry?’

‘I need to be in Phenix City and I’ve never  been there before, let my speed creep up on me. Sorry.’

‘Any gun’s or weapons in the car?’

’Yes sir.’

’Where is it?’

’It? Four are in the trunk, one’s in the console and the other is on my hip.’

’What?’

‘I’m going to a match in Phenix City, my competition guns are in the trunk.’

Small talk about competition shooting followed by him going back to his car.

I ended up with a ticket for 84 in 70 which in GA means no points.  Nice young guy, respectful and professional

I didn’t BS him, treated him with respect and he cut me a $500+ break, not even accounting for the insurance increase I avoided.

He asked me to keep it under 84 the rest of the way and I did.

You should have shown him a little leg. 

• Haha 1

one winter i got pulled over with my mom in car  , i was driving her car,  i was  wearing a toe  boggin  lol.  trooper said was i bald headed and take off hat lol .  i get

the weird ones 

• Administrators

A deuce-and-a-half I was riding in to go to the field got pulled over once, when I was in the Army. I never found out why we were stopped. It’s not like that old truck was capable of speeding on the freeway. Anyway, one of the cops peeked under the flap of the canvas top and saw most of my platoon armed  with M-14s, M-60s, M-16s and M-203s. He didn’t look frightened (there was no reason he should), but he looked startled. He should have caught us on the return trip. The smell in the back of the truck would have committed an assault on his senses. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nearly two decades ago, I got pulled over by a State Trooper for a dead inspection sticker. He was just finishing up a stop when I went past him. He asked if I realized the inspection sticker had expired and I told him I forgot about it because the truck had sat for several months with a broken transmission and I had just got it back on the road. Thanked him for bringing it to my attention. Did my best to be courteous and remembered my sirs. He let me go and said to take care of it as soon as possible. Halfway back to his car, he stopped and turned around. When he got back to my window he thanked me for not being rude. I was a little shocked and made a remark about that being dumb and probably would have resulted in a different outcome. He chuckled and said, "Probably. You have a nice day."

I'll never forget that experience because of the way he said it when he thanked me. I don't know if he was having a bad day or if the last stop was just a royal pain. 

Just under 5 years ago, that very same gentleman was found dead of a self inflicted gun shot wound. He was only 53 years old. He lived in the same small town as I did and I've never heard an ill word spoken of him. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, ASH said:

19 over here  and   VA  can get you a careless and reckless.  virginia dont even know what a warning ticket is lol.  we have to drive 5 hours thru that state to go to wifes home place . there has been a 20 year old speed trap  crossing  over to VA    and then i let the wife drive.  if VA  was not on the map our trip would be 3 hours .

reasoning people get warnings or not .  they like you , or your car ,  or really nice,  or your concealed carry .   

it always strts bad for me lol ,  for some reason smurfs here  walk to car  and  it starts with son  can i ,,,, wait a sec  did you say son?  some things i let slide some i dont ,  but i pay my lawyer get a improper equipment  pay him 100 bucks be done with it . and it is always with wife riding with me .    

few months ago i stopped in my 40 year old cj7   with 3 speed v8   trooper said i was sitting on bridge clocked you at 90 .  i was literallly said  what the ****  !!  this jeep  will max out at 60 to 65 tops  on highway , told him no way  i told him to drive my jeep get it to 90  id love to see it as long as you pay for new motor .  i said if you give me ticket for that go ahead and lets go to jail .  anyone with a old jeep knows this .  got a warning  .  with nice jeep comment

No disrespect intended, Ash, but we used to see a lot of folks with your mindset in court every day.  None of them went to jail, but they all left with their wallet a bit thinner.  How much thinner depended on how they and their lawyer conducted themselves in the courtroom.  No jury I had ever found them not guilty, especially after seeing the video.