Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

Not another fine McDonnell Douglas product.

It was 1944 and the government would give you money for making anything, but how such a contraption came off the drawing boards at Chance-Vought is puzzling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tous said:

Not another fine McDonnell Douglas product.

It was 1944 and the government would give you money for making anything, but how such a contraption came off the drawing boards at Chance-Vought is puzzling.

I'm sure it seemed like a good idea at the time!

• Haha 2

On 6/18/2019 at 9:50 PM, tous said:

One didn't glide the X-15 or F-104 to touchdown, you basically let if fall out of the sky under dubious control.

Love that description, Tous.

Everytime I see a 104 I remember Pease AFB scrambling a pair as I (16 at the time. Holy ****! That's 50 years ago! Ouch!!) as I was rubber necking the NH coast. I'm sure they enjoyed it as they passed just barely ahead of my Cherokee 150, 1 above and 1 below me with the pilot waving at me! Then the controller mentioned departing traffic coming my way. No doubt it was good for them, me, not so much.

Edited by Paul53
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

There is a road, Lindbergh Boulevard, that passes the north end of Lambert St Louis International Airport.

It's a fairly busy road, two lanes each way, especially at rush hour.

So, one afternoon, we had an AV-8B out in a field at the north end of the airport just doing some hovering, left and right turns, launches and recoveries.

I looked over and the traffic on Lindbergh was completely stopped; people were out of  their cars and lining the fence watching the Harrier.

We finally put it away and folk just got back in their cars and went on their way, but it was surreal that we caused a traffic jam and few, if any were honking their horns or getting angry.

But, they got to see a Harrier II up close doing what it did best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tous said:

There is a road, Lindbergh Boulevard, that passes the north end of Lambert St Louis International Airport.

So, one afternoon, we had an AV-8B out in a field at the north end of the airport just doing some hovering, left and right turns, launches and recoveries.

I looked over and the traffic on Lindbergh was completely stopped; people were out of  their cars and lining the fence watching the Harrier.

We finally put it away and folk just got back in their cars and went on their way, but it was surreal that we caused a traffic jam and few, if any were honking their horns or getting angry.

HUH!  I had just given the tri-services my company's presentation for Avionics for the F-22 (to be), and as I sat in the terminal waiting for my flight out, I watched a harrier do just that type of maneuvering in a back corner of the facility.  I was very impressed with the ability of the pilot to do his points of the compass rotations while staying above one spot in the mild cross wind.  Those guys have my admiration for their marvelous skills.

• Like 3

The first problem that needs to be solved with the living wing is making it continuously malleable and then, how do we power the changes.
Then we can address how to evaluate and control it.
I love the concept.

Do be certain the pilot training simulator is kept up to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, tous said:

How long ago was this? I was in St. Louis back in '87 opening up the chain of Best Buy Stores. I was down there from Sept. '87 - Jan. '88.

When I had some time off we'd go sit at the end of the runway up on the hill and watch the jets land. They would come right over head and it seemed like you could reach up and touch them.

• Like 2

This would have been around that time.

There was a public viewing area off of Lindbergh, just basically a dirt lot at the north end where you could sit and watch aircraft takeoff or land, depending on which way the wind was going.

And seeing two F-15s, F-4s or F/A-18s launch in tandem never got old.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tous said:

This would have been around that time.

There was a public viewing area off of Lindbergh, just basically a dirt lot at the north end where you could sit and watch aircraft takeoff or land, depending on which way the wind was going.

And seeing two F-15s, F-4s or F/A-18s launch in tandem never got old.

Well rats. All I got to see were IIRC L-1011's and other domestic commercial flights. I think once in a while a UPS jet would land but that's been a while so I could be thinking of somewhere else. When I first got transferred down there I stayed at Henry the 8th until I found residence. 30 days later I was residing in Bridgeton and working in Chesterfied. I loved going down town for the night and staggering around the bar scene since they didn't allow vehicles in. That was the best idea ever.

• Like 3

The riverfront had a renaissance in the 1980s as the yuppies moved into the old town homes in Soulard and other neighborhoods and rehabed them.

Thus, the bar scene that you described grew up with them.

Then came state-sponsored gambling.

I lived in St. Peters and hardly ever went downtown.

Yuppies annoyed me.  :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Israeli start-up Eviation Aircraft has announced Cape Air as the commercial launch customer for its Alice all-electric aircraft, with the “double-digit purchase option” from a long-established airline helping to validate the in-development design and put the nascent sector on the map.

Eviation has not disclosed how many aircraft the Hyannis, Massachusetts-based operator has ordered, but company co-founder and chief executive Omer Bar-Yohay says the first example will be delivered in 2022.

Eviation%2BAlice%2B-%2Bsmall.png

The Alice uses one main Hartzell five-blade pusher-propeller at the tail and two at the wing-tips, to reduce drag, increase redundancy and improve efficiency. Each prop is driven by a 260kW electric motor – supplied by Siemens and MagniX – powered by a 900kWh lithium-ion battery pack, giving Alice a range of 540nm on full charge and a cruise speed of 240kt (440km/h). Bar-Yohay says the battery weighs around 3,700kg (8,200lb), which accounts for around 60% of the Alice’s 5,900kg take-off weight. “[The Alice] is a huge battery with a plane painted on it,” Bar-Yohay says.

The all-composite Alice will seat up to nine passengers and two crew in its 12m (39ft)-long fuselage. The aircraft also features a bespoke fly-by-wire system and flightdeck, supplied by Honeywell

Edited by Dric902
  • Like 1

Israeli start-up Eviation Aircraft has announced Cape Air as the commercial launch customer for its Alice all-electric aircraft, with the “double-digit purchase option” from a long-established airline helping to validate the in-development design and put the nascent sector on the map.

Eviation has not disclosed how many aircraft the Hyannis, Massachusetts-based operator has ordered, but company co-founder and chief executive Omer Bar-Yohay says the first example will be delivered in 2022.

The Alice uses one main Hartzell five-blade pusher-propeller at the tail and two at the wing-tips, to reduce drag, increase redundancy and improve efficiency. Each prop is driven by a 260kW electric motor – supplied by Siemens and MagniX – powered by a 900kWh lithium-ion battery pack, giving Alice a range of 540nm on full charge and a cruise speed of 240kt (440km/h). Bar-Yohay says the battery weighs around 3,700kg (8,200lb), which accounts for around 60% of the Alice’s 5,900kg take-off weight. “[The Alice] is a huge battery with a plane painted on it,” Bar-Yohay says.

The all-composite Alice will seat up to nine passengers and two crew in its 12m (39ft)-long fuselage. The aircraft also features a bespoke fly-by-wire system and flightdeck, supplied by Honeywell

How long does it take to recharge the battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/22/2019 at 7:18 PM, Dric902 said:

It will be interesting to see where things like this go, but now, I'd stick with a PC-12.  About the same price, but the Pilatus is faster, and requires but one throttle jockey.

• Like 2

Just now, deputy tom said:

yes, indeed. tom.:cowboy2:

Can you imagine every woman thinking that, in that place she would find the romantic male god of her dreams while scouring the Pacific with him for adventure.

Every man imagines that plane taking him to the oriental exotic mysterious woman of his dreams, in a land where he may not speak the language but the girl was the epitome of seduction... 

(Neither one can look in the mirror and be honest with themselves.) After all, it's just a dream.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1