Aircraft Pic & Vid Thread

Eric

Just when did the airlines know that they had to pay extra for a key warning system on the Boeing 737 Max? The Wall Street Journal reported last night that it wasn’t at the point of sale. Until a crash in Ethiopia last October, Southwest Airlines thought the system came standard with the platform — so much so that their operating manuals included them

Somehow, the news that the safety feature was an upgrade didn’t get mentioned

Boeing Co. didn’t tell Southwest Airlines Co. and other carriers when they began flying its 737 MAX jets that a safety feature found on earlier models that warns pilots about malfunctioning sensors had been deactivated, according to government and industry officials.

Federal Aviation Administration safety inspectors and supervisors responsible for monitoring Southwest, the largest 737 MAX customer, also were unaware of the change, the officials said. …

Southwest’s management and cockpit crews didn’t know about the lack of the warning system for more than a year after the planes went into service in 2017, industry and government officials said. They and most other airlines operating the MAX learned about it only after the Lion Air crash in October led to scrutiny of the plane’s revised design.

“Southwest’s own manuals were wrong” about the availability of the alerts, said the Southwest pilots union president, Jon Weaks. Since Boeing hadn’t communicated the modification to the carrier, the manuals reflected incorrect information, he said.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

On 4/26/2019 at 7:46 PM, Eric said:

Dallas does too.

I remember when DFW was under construction, I read about it having underpasses  like it was a new concept.

Just read DFW opened 1/13/73, I first solo'd in 69, and now I am feeling terribly old. Time for a nap!

Edited by Paul53
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:18 AM, SC Tiger said:

Is that a ground-up designed airborne firefighting plane?  Clever.

I suspect we have the people, but we don't have the near-unlimited funding.  We don't have the threat of the Russians.  

We do, but few see it.

Damn thing still looks like it might snap in half - especially with a heavy load on the center wing area.  I don't think it will but it sure looks like it would.

Yup. I sure do wish they woulda attached those elevators to each other. I'd feel a whole lot better about that contraption then.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tous said:

Top speed, at altitude, of a B-52 was around 560 knots.

Mach 1 is around 660 knots.

Thanks old friend. I was thinking closer to 700 knots because altitude in a Cherokee is a bit lower, but point taken. I recall someone had  a Luscombe photo shopped just like the BUFF. Waiting for someone to ps a Corvair or Studebaker into a pic.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, gwalchmai said:

So, which is better - a Mustang or a ME-109?

The ME 109 didn’t change much from the beginning of the war. Great plane in 1939

but the R and D was with us in performance and design. Catching up and surpassing the standards set by the ‘109 and the FW-190

plus we never ran out of fuel or pilots

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, C_Hallbert said:

The work of an Aeronautical Design Engineer with a fanciful and artistic bent.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I admire the ingenuity and imagination, not to mention his humor. I'm sure it falls into the ultra light rules because I can't imagine anybody official signing off on the construction. But I think Gomez Adams says it better than I can in this cartoon. If you know the builders name, maybe I need to look through the EAA roles, I'd like to know his name. I bet he can fill a book with the jokes and comments he's got.

good time.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2