Good "entry level" or basic AR-15

SC Tiger

Okay this might be in the wrong place but whatever......

I've kinda got the AR bug.  I've looked at a few but honestly there are more brands of AR out there now than Colt has bankruptcies.

Who makes a good, no-frills, basic AR these days in the $500-700 range?  Looking for the standard M4 configuration, though I probably will put an optic on it.  5.56 cal - your first AR15 HAS to be in 5.56.  It's a law I think.  Emphasis on reliability.  I'm looking for direct impingement and a platform I can upgrade later if I want.  Probably a flattop receiver but not a necessity.

I've looked (not too seriously) at an Armalite, and I know Ruger and Smith and Wesson are in the game at around the price point I'm looking at.  Haven't seen Bushmaster lately.  DPMS is another brand I see from time to time.

Sportsman's Warehouse has a brand called "Del Tor" or something.  Not familiar with them.  And of course Palmetto Arsenal is in Greenville.

Suggestions?  Would I be better to build my own?

I'd type "Go!" but that annoys the piss out of me in posts honestly.

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

Okay this might be in the wrong place but whatever......

I've kinda got the AR bug.  I've looked at a few but honestly there are more brands of AR out there now than Colt has bankruptcies.

Who makes a good, no-frills, basic AR these days in the $500-700 range?  Looking for the standard M4 configuration, though I probably will put an optic on it.  5.56 cal - your first AR15 HAS to be in 5.56.  It's a law I think.  Emphasis on reliability.  I'm looking for direct impingement and a platform I can upgrade later if I want.  Probably a flattop receiver but not a necessity.

I've looked (not too seriously) at an Armalite, and I know Ruger and Smith and Wesson are in the game at around the price point I'm looking at.  Haven't seen Bushmaster lately.  DPMS is another brand I see from time to time.

Sportsman's Warehouse has a brand called "Del Tor" or something.  Not familiar with them.  And of course Palmetto Arsenal is in Greenville.

Suggestions?  Would I be better to build my own?

I'd type "Go!" but that annoys the piss out of me in posts honestly.

That's Del Ton. They are pretty good as well as S&W , Windham (new Bushmasters) and Stag Arms. Good luck in your search. tom. :cowboy2:

Edited by deputy tom
cap. instead of lower cas i
  • Like 1

My first one was a DPMS, it's a good rifle, never had any issues with it.

The one I really like though is my Aero Precision.  I bought it as a stripped lower and an upper, along with their handguard.  I like how the enhanced upper and handguard attach together.  Mine was a bit more than your price range because I did it as a folding stock pistol in .300 BO, but if I hadn't gone with a folding stock it would probably have come in around $7-800 for a better than entry level rifle.

It's cheaper to buy all the parts and assemble it yourself, but looks like complete rifles start in the $650 range if you shop around.  

https://www.primaryarms.com/aero-precision-ac15-carbine-16-in-5.56

APCR100015_00.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000

i would consider building a lower and buying a really good BCM or DD upper,Recce or Jack carbine.

that way you build a nice shooter for your needs and add parts you like later.

i have a Mid Length Recce and its great. or buying a complete DD or BCM and have a really well built trouble free rifle for really not much more then building it ground up like M&P suggests.

SG has a nuch of Bushmasters in stock to suit your needs for $500-$650

i have a DPMS that i have had for years and have had no problems with it,

got a buddy with a PSA Mid Length "blem" rifle that i think totalled about $600 with sights, ammo and a few mags.

welcome to the BRD....

6 hours ago, willie-pete said:

M & P 15 Sport II

I just bought one of these.  Came with Magpul flip up rear sight.  I put a Sig Romeo 5 Red Dot on it and is good to go. Right around $500.00.  I'm happy.

Dave.

Edited by DrB
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, DrB said:

I also see in this area the Ruger AR556 is on sale right now for $450.00.  I may pick one of those up, just because come election I have a feeling the prices may rise.

Dave.

Wow.  I've been out of the market for a while....but seriously these prices are at least half of what we experienced just 6 years ago.

47 minutes ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Build one.  You'll be happier.

Yes but for folks just wanting to pick up a complete rifle, no fuss, no muss there are some good deals out there.  The more firearms that get into good hands, and getting people involved helps.  A lot of people do not want to get involved in building, I understand that.

Dave.

14 hours ago, DrB said:

Yes but for folks just wanting to pick up a complete rifle, no fuss, no muss there are some good deals out there.  The more firearms that get into good hands, and getting people involved helps.  A lot of people do not want to get involved in building, I understand that.

Dave.

Kinda where I am.  I just don't really have the time to build one.  After the first one, I may build another one later.

What I might do if things look to be headed a bad way is to buy a complete lower so that I have the "serial numbered part" of the gun.

15 hours ago, DrB said:

I also see in this area the Ruger AR556 is on sale right now for $450.00.  I may pick one of those up, just because come election I have a feeling the prices may rise.

Dave.

If I see that deal I may jump in it.  I don't want to rush, but I have the same concerns you do.  I can always get the optic later.

Edited by SC Tiger

15 hours ago, Mrs.Cicero said:

Build one.  You'll be happier.

I'd like to do that eventually but don't want to invest in the tools or the time.  Whatever I get, I will probably modify it at some point with some goodies (adjustable gas block, vertical foregrip, etc).

Honestly I'm not a good enough shot to take advantage of a match-grade barrel.

Edited by SC Tiger

21 minutes ago, SC Tiger said:

I hear good about Palmetto State Armory.  Anyone here have any experience?

my uncle has several of their rifles built from blemished parts.  Paid under $1k for an AR15 and AR10 together.  He hasn't said anything bad about them.  

He used the AR15 as his patrol rifle for work until the SWAT team he was on was forced to standardize their gear to DDM4s

8 minutes ago, Cougar_ml said:

my uncle has several of their rifles built from blemished parts.  Paid under $1k for an AR15 and AR10 together.  He hasn't said anything bad about them.  

He used the AR15 as his patrol rifle for work until the SWAT team he was on was forced to standardize their gear to DDM4s

They're local to me (Greenville) so I may check with them.  Bad part is they are on Woodruff road, so they aren't the easiest place to get to.

I recommend the S&W M&P 15 Sport II.

Why? It has a lifetime warranty and unless one gets some free parts, is usually cheaper than a home built rifle. ARs can be very reliable when built by someone who knows what they are doing, but they are not so basic that they can't be buggered up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SC Tiger said:

They're local to me (Greenville) so I may check with them.  Bad part is they are on Woodruff road, so they aren't the easiest place to get to.

What, you don't like big city traffic in a small city setting?  You'd get to their website faster even if you already lived on Woodruff.

22 minutes ago, Maccabeus said:

What, you don't like big city traffic in a small city setting?  You'd get to their website faster even if you already lived on Woodruff.

Yeah, but I still have to go get it.

I was kinda joking - if I buy one from there, the traffic won't be an issue.