Fifth grader dies after school fight

SC Tiger

https://people.com/crime/south-carolina-fifth-grader-raniya-wright-dies-after-classroom-fight/

Two girls got into a fight at an elementary school and one of them died.  Hearing different things about what happened.  No idea right now.

Christ almighty - what in the actual **** is going on in society?  When I was in school we fought but we never did **** like this.  Never would have thought of stomping someone's head (if that's true).

Edited by SC Tiger
  • Sad 1

Could have been one of those incidents where they just fell and were hit in the head the wrong way.  I heard a story awhile back about a kid hit in the head with a soccer ball, coach made them go to ER, kid got up turned around and fell down dead.

Tragic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sigobsessed said:

That saddens me!!! Prayers for Niya and her family!!!

Yes.  Tragic, regardless of who started what.  5th grade fights are supposed to result in black eyes and maybe fat lips.  Not this.

23 minutes ago, RenoF250 said:

Could have been one of those incidents where they just fell and were hit in the head the wrong way.  I heard a story awhile back about a kid hit in the head with a soccer ball, coach made them go to ER, kid got up turned around and fell down dead.

Tragic.

Could be.  I don't know how much info will come out on this, being as it involves kids.

• Like 1

It happens. 

Remember how one person was on the ground and the other person was pounding his head on the ground.  At that time it was said that the person having his head pounded on the ground wasn't threatened with enough harm to justify shooting his aggressor.

Another incident just like the first one, was an off duty officer that didn't shoot and died from his head injuries.

Seemingly simple fights can result in unexpected catastrophes, if not dealt with by reasonably concerned adults.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Dric902 said:

No teacher in the classroom?

Even if there was, with the attitude these days they would probably get fired and charged with assault if they laid hands on a student to break up a fight and the student got so much as a slight bruise from it. 

Long gone are the days where students showed any type of respect for those trying to teach them, and parents are looking for anyone to blame other than their kids or themselves for what happens.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

There's nothing going on these days. Nothing is different.

Kids have been killing each other in fights since forever, it happens.

Kids die, it's part of life. We have to stop acting like death is such an awful thing that should never happen. It does happen, and it's never going to end.

Edited by M&P15T
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cougar_ml said:

Even if there was, with the attitude these days they would probably get fired and charged with assault if they laid hands on a student to break up a fight and the student got so much as a slight bruise from it.

Our teachers would talk to the gym teacher (the wrestling coach) and he'd invite you to the locker room for an impromptu pep talk.

• Like 1

It happens. 
Remember how one person was on the ground and the other person was pounding his head on the ground.  At that time it was said that the person having his head pounded on the ground wasn't threatened with enough harm to justify shooting his aggressor.
Another incident just like the first one, was an off duty officer that didn't shoot and died from his head injuries.
Seemingly simple fights can result in unexpected catastrophes, if not dealt with by reasonably concerned adults.

The knockout game has resulted in deaths.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 3:44 PM, Huaco Kid said:

Our teachers would talk to the gym teacher (the wrestling coach) and he'd invite you to the locker room for an impromptu pep talk.

That is the smart play.  I hardly ever had to lay a hand on anyone that I had detained.  Most of them wanted to know where they were in the process, and I was the answer man that could tell them in Spanish.  I even ended a sit in within 15 minutes.  That was just creative talking to get 50 people out of the rec yard.  Quite simply, I told them the problem was being resolved. But, if they wanted to be stupid and be in a rec yard with an open sky on a hot day, or back in the air conditioned cells with food service it was up to them.  They decided the elements just weren't for them.  Or, if I got a loud mouth that liked to spout off and cause problems, I would tell them that until there was a respectful conversation the answers would not continue until the following week.  They seem to handle their problems vey well on their own.  The following week, the loud mouth was the most respectful guy in there.  I never had to touch, I didn't even have to insult him.  Though, I have used that in the past when I had a group of 50 plus on the ground, and transport was a long way off.  You get them thinking about something else, so you ask them where they are from, what they did for a living, etc, etc.  But, if you got the loud mouth there, you either used insulting humor to get the group to laugh at him, to deflate his ego, or if that didn't work, you had to knock him down.  Otherwise, it was you 12 shots of .40, make them count.

So, problem solving can be very creative.

Nothing new. Circa 1986 there was a fight in the bathroom at our high school. One guy started to take off his coat and the other guy pounced and pulled his coat over his head and beat him until he was out and then kept smashing his head on the ground. He ended up in the hospital in pretty bad shape.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Nothing new. Circa 1986 there was a fight in the bathroom at our high school. One guy started to take off his coat and the other guy pounced and pulled his coat over his head and beat him until he was out and then kept smashing his head on the ground. He ended up in the hospital in pretty bad shape.

I do think the new idea of "don't fight back" is causing problems.  If you fight back you're more likely to be less seriously hurt.

I suppose this seems odd since it is in my home state, so it doesn't seem like national news.  I dunno.

On 3/29/2019 at 2:40 PM, M&P15T said:

There's nothing going on these days. Nothing is different.

Kids have been killing each other in fights since forever, it happens.

Kids die, it's part of life. We have to stop acting like death is such an awful thing that should never happen. It does happen, and it's never going to end.

The difference now is that teachers can't intervene.  In high school that might not matter much, but any teacher who isn't a complete invalid should be able to pull apart two 5th graders.  That part is messed up IMO.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2019 at 11:46 AM, Cougar_ml said:

Long gone are the days where students showed any type of respect for those trying to teach them, and parents are looking for anyone to blame other than their kids or themselves for what happens.

Lot of truth here ^^^^. 

Often administrators are limited in their abilities to discipline and suspend students these days, especially if the students is a minority. Not saying that this is the case here but schools around here are overrun with students that “should’ve been” suspended several times but as per policy they’re re-admitted and wreak more havoc. And the older they get, the more likely they are to figure out the system. 

• Like 1

Talk about a trip down memory lane...

There were unwritten rules for fighting in my day (mid-late 1960s). Fights were a one-on-one event... no piling on by onlookers. We fought on our feet, and if one guy went down, the other guy waited for him to get up... if he could.

I was in two fights... got my clock cleaned in the first by a guy who was way out of my weight class, but had to fight him. Funny thing is, he stopped messing with me after he kicked my ass. Second fight was in the lunch line... guy was cutting in line, called him on it, and we squared off. Suddenly the lunchroom door opened, and when my opponent looked that way, I shoved him into the bushes. Not much of a fight, but I ate before him.

Best fight at our school during that time was between two guys who didn't care for one another. Their lockers were in close proximity  -- Camp and Canfield. They squared off, and Canfield landed a straight right shot that broke Camp's nose and ended the fight. There was more blood on the hallway floor than at Gettysburg... all of it Camp's. Canfield was the coolest guy in school... straight A student, basketball team captain, and dated the hottest chick in the school... and he broke Camp's nose with an epic right hand. We all wanted to be Canfield :worthy:.