Mystery smells

RenoF250

Are maddening.  We suddenly got this mystery smell in the dining room.  Stinks like really cheap old lady body powder and the juice from a dumpster.  Just all of the sudden, can't get it down to a 10 foot square area but not lock it to one thing.  Drives me crazy.

To make it worse I have heard some squeaking noise in the same area.  Seems like it is too loud for a mouse and the cats don't seem interested in it.  Nothing we can see and never hear it long enough to really locate it.

So pour another drink I guess.

• Like 1

HVAC maybe.  I have exterior sealing issues and that forces air into the returns sometimes and makes it flow backwards into the living space.

When your furnace/AC isn't running, put a lighter up to your returns - if you see the flame moved in that's your issue.

Mine is from unsealed attic and basement walls, nasty dusty smell.

Use Chemical Guys New Car sent air freshener. https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-AIR_101_16-Freshener-Eliminator/dp/B002J7VX4Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550034713&sr=8-3&keywords=chemical+guys+new+car+scent

The stuff works.  I use it in our state cars and our visitation rooms.  There were some boys loaded for bear today who put out some impressive diapers. Sprayed some in there and you wouldn't know it had been shat in.

How many people actually smell this odor?

Phantom smells could be a sign of diabetes or a brain tumor. I sometimes smell things such a burning wood or chemicals that aren't there. I'm borderline diabetic but have also been checked for a tumor because of this.

• Like 1

We bought this home from an Elderly Couple, whom I am sure are dead already.  We had the place virtually remodeled when we moved in.  Some days it still smells like old people.  However, to some of you that take certain medications, looks up the side effects.  Some can cause sensory illusions, or worse.  Lyrica (one dose) did really weird things to me.  My left hemisphere and right hemisphere were acting independent of each other.  I also had zero filtering.  It was like extreme truth serum.  Ask an opinion, get a very blunt answer.  The children found it amusing.  The wife didn't when the left hand grabbed a handful of boob.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Charles said:

How many people actually smell this odor?

Phantom smells could be a sign of diabetes or a brain tumor. I sometimes smell things such a burning wood or chemicals that aren't there. I'm borderline diabetic but have also been checked for a tumor because of this.

Wife and daughter smell it as well.  Also, it is clearly in one area.  We bought this house from an older woman whose husband had already passed.  There are some drapes in the area and we are thinking they may be the source.  We are going to pull everything out of the area and clean it.  It is also in the area of the cat boxes and it started when they were cleaned.  These things always drive me up a wall.  I will burn the house down if I do not find it soon.

9 hours ago, janice6 said:

Long ago when my father owned rental property, we used to experience odors trapped by the wall paper also.  I used to have to help clean wallpaper when the apartments were vacant.

No wall paper here and we have lived here for ~2 years.

The smell seemed to go with the drapes.  I told her to wash them in the regular washer and they shrunk about 10" so they are going in the trash.  They also almost killed the washer.

• Like 1

I don't know if anyone remembers (maybe even available yet today) an oil stick heater. You plug it in to an AC outlet, run the stick to your car and stick it down the oil fill tube to keep the engine oil from getting too thick to turn over the motor when the temp gets ever so cold.

About 50 years ago, I was around 12, we had one plugged into an outlet by our back door on a wall switch. It worked great considering our Midwest harsh winters.

Here's the embarrassing part. We had a small rug on the stairs leading to the back deck and usually put the "oily" heater stick on it when not using it. Somehow one night the switch got left on while the stick was still on the rug.

I had my own basement bedroom right below the back door. Overnight, the smoldering rug was sending in the odor and it would creep down into the basement where I was sleeping.

It caused me to dream about baking cookies. (Horrifyingly it could have possibly led to a house fire and I might not have survived. Slept right through it if you know what I mean.)

I didn't know what had happened until I woke that morning, went upstairs to let the dog out and noticed the mess.

Dodged a big one that night.

Edited by Bish1309
  • Like 1