Old Pictures

Eric

1 hour ago, pipedreams said:

1948 Scout Hand Book

1948_Scout_Hand_Book.thumb.jpeg.99d1c051fc25dd8b9c79ee1a51fc7bdc.jpegbq-5c98f3616b726.thumb.jpeg.ba7561178d3e6f250bb2bd3cf0c414e3.jpegbq-5c98f3d9a8e9d.thumb.jpeg.3364c5d4263ad5149a391995152e8041.jpegbq-5c98f434203cd.thumb.jpeg.119c5c50de4b3c96133d51b5a580d4ea.jpeg

I had a Fieldbook in the 60s and I loved it. not the same as a BS Handbook, which covered rank requirements, traditions, etc., the Fieldbook taught you how to live in the woods. I remember one chapter starting

"Going camping in the winter? Are you out of your ever-loving mind?"

:supergrin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, gwalchmai said:

I had a Fieldbook in the 60s and I loved it. not the same as a BS Handbook, which covered rank requirements, traditions, etc., the Fieldbook taught you how to live in the woods. I remember one chapter starting

"Going camping in the winter? Are you out of your ever-loving mind?"

:supergrin:

I just donated a bunch of old scout stuff for a fund raiser, included a couple old handbooks and a stack of Boys Life when the were larger size not the more recent version.

• Like 3

My mother was a local regional official in the Boy Scouts/cub Scouts.  She fixed me up with all my camping stuff, and showed me how to fix Roast Beef Dinners in Aluminum foil.  She would make sure I had good food when I went camping alone for weekends.  I never had Hotdogs for meals.

I would pack up, get on my bike, and go ten miles out of town to a cool place to camp.  Then spend the weekend alone putzing around.

On time there was a bad accident on entrance to the bridge where I was playing underneath in the Creek.   I located the driver and sat with him.  We talked while he died.  His friend was found a long ways away already dead from the crash.

Back then you seemed to mature much earlier.  After the H.P. and police cleaned up and left, I went home for Sunday Dinner.

Scouts taught you independence when I was a member.  Now it seems children are taught dependence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, janice6 said:

My mother was a local regional official in the Boy Scouts/cub Scouts.  She fixed me up with all my camping stuff, and showed me how to fix Roast Beef Dinners in Aluminum foil.  She would make sure I had good food when I went camping alone for weekends.  I never had Hotdogs for meals.

I would pack up, get on my bike, and go ten miles out of town to a cool place to camp.  Then spend the weekend alone putzing around.

On time there was a bad accident on entrance to the bridge where I was playing underneath in the Creek.   I located the driver and sat with him.  We talked while he died.  His friend was found a long ways away already dead from the crash.

Back then you seemed to mature much earlier.  After the H.P. and police cleaned up and left, I went home for Sunday Dinner.

Scouts taught you independence when I was a member.  Now it seems children are taught dependence.

Yes, when I entered the army I was already a pretty good marksman, knew how to tie knots, drive a truck and a lot of other stuff.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A sailor and his girl having a beer in Long Beach, Calif., late 1930s.  I wonder what the bar maid is whispering to his date that is so secret that she has to lean away from him so he won't hear.

1362570571_AsailorandhisgirlhavingabeerinLongBeachCalif.late1930s.Iwonderwhatthebarmaidiswhisperingt-isdatethatissosecretthatshehastoleanawayfromhimsohewonthear.png.285aa49810bef3433dd92c45ab741377.png

Maybe this is an action shot of an inebriated woman falling off her stool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, railfancwb said:

Sidewalk elevators. Wonder if any/many/most are still in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That or sidewalk coal chutes.   In some areas, sidewalks sit above basements, old coal chutes, stairs or windows. In other places, the area beneath sidewalks has been filled in, leaving no voids.

• Thanks 1